Arthritis. Experience with Zydax?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bec and Oliver, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bec and Oliver

Bec and Oliver Member

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on the forum for quite a while, since my lovely Oliver came OTJ. His BSL has been very stable since he came off insulin, and we're now mainly monitoring signs and symptoms (e.g. if he drinks a lot or we have any concern, we'll re-test him).

It's been an expensive year at the vet, he cracked off one of his front teeth and had to have dental surgery.

He's starting to show his age and slow down a lot. He's currently receiving a course of Zydax injections (off-label use for cats) to treat some arthritis which was starting to make him limp. We have been giving him Green Lipped Mussel on vet's advice, which got him through the winter happily but is now not enough.

Has anyone had any experience with Zydax? Or, does anyone have any suggestions to keep him comfortable with his arthritis?

ETA: he has lost 1kg over the last year. He's getting skinny over the hips :(

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I use adequan. Usually once a week or she's limping. If she seem particularly uncomfortable, like when it's bad weather, I give some Gabapentin

3. Bec and Oliver

Bec and Oliver Member

Thanks! I’ll ask my vet about these at our next visit.the vet also suggested Meloxicam daily as a management option. But that has a kidney risk so I’m only giving that if he looks uncomfortable. Hopefully he won’t need it once the Zydax course is finished.

All we want is to make our babies comfortable!

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Mine has ckd too. And as of two weeks ago hyperthyroidism. It's hard when they get old. She's a happy girl though.

5. Bec and Oliver

Bec and Oliver Member

I'm glad she's happy, even with all the medical stuff going on :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.