Arthritis in diabetic cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by terriy, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terriy

terriy Member

Any suggestion on treating a diabetic cat with arthritis?

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I give mine glucosamine pills - cosaquin for cats.

3. From the ASPCA website-
    Found this too-
    You might also ask your vet about "Adequan" injections.

With diabetes in the mix, any antiinflammatory drug or supplements should be nonsteroidal if possible.

4. terriy

terriy Member

Thanks! Ive been reading good things about that and I did not see any sugar of any kind in it. Just wanted to make sure it was ok for her before I went and bought some.
    Out the door......
    Thanks bunches!!

PS I've been calling my vet since 7 am this morning. No reply. May have to re-think using them!
    Thanks for the info.

5. terriy

terriy Member

You might also ask your vet about "Adequan" injections.

With diabetes in the mix, any antiinflammatory drug or supplements should be nonsteroidal if possible.[/quote]

Looks like that will rule out using MeloxiCam?

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I also give my slightly arthritic (but non-diabetic) cat Cosequin; and a small dose of curcumin (turmeric extract) and a few drops of fish oil. (Note: Curcumin is contra-indicated where there are liver or gall bladder problems, and should be stopped well in advance of any operation as it can thin the blood and increase bleeding).

Was your cat diagnosed with arthritis? I saw from your earlier posts that there were leg problems but at that stage it wasn't certain what the issue was (ie neuropathy, arthritis or some other condition)?

For Bertie's neuropathy we used methyl B12 (Zobaline) and were extremely lucky because it worked well in spite of his blood glucose remaining in high numbers.

I do hope your kitty is feeling better soon.

Eliz

8. terriy

terriy Member

Im glad that I did not wait to hear from the vet before I went and purchased the Cosequin for cats since the adequen would not have been available until July. Already got a dose down her!!
    Yes, I was worried about neuropathy yesterday however after reading the information Sue and Oliver supplied me with, I realized that she was not walking on her hocks so I had ruled that out. When I woke up this morning she was limping badly and was holding up her right paw.
    I had talked about that with the vet before because a long time ago she had been slightly limping and she said that it was arthritis however she did not do any test and she was not bad enough to need any medication. That was at at least 2 years ago and she has not had the problem since.
    She looks so pitiful! When my husband gets home Im going to get him to take a litter box downstairs to his workshop and turn it into a walk in instead of a step up. She has plenty of low beds to get into but Im also going to put a heating pad in one and she if she will use it. She's not much for being touched so I think a massage is out of the question however Im still gonna try!!
    Thanks for all the ideas and input!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.