Asking a question for my sister

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shiloh & Rhonda (GA), Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

First off, she took her cat to a vet today. But that vet specializes in large animals, just an old farm doctor. And she has an appointment with a different vet tomorrow.

Her cat was limping on one of her front legs. Since it wasn't getting any better, she made an appointment. When she got home from work to take her, she wouldn't walk at all. It was like, from my sister's description, that she couldn't walk, and couldn't stand without falling over. She took her immediately, and the vet said he didn't know what was wrong. Her pupils are equal and reactive. He didn't feel any broken bones, nor see any bite wounds. He pinched her feet, her legs and her tail with the forceps and got no reaction. She is moving them, but can't feel them apparently. He gave her a shot of prednisone and sent her home.

My sister is terrified. Any thoughts?

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Blood clot is my thought. I had a kitty where it happened to her back half (legs and tail). Unfortunately, we did not catch it in time because the Vet said usually it appears in the front legs first :(.

3. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

I thought stroke myself. Hopefully the second opinion will shed some light on the situation.

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Usually with a blood clot the paw will be noticeably colder and the kitty is usually in a fair bit of pain. Usually the vet will do an x-ray of the heart to look for abnormalities. Is there any chance that the kitty had some sort of accident and hurt the leg..maybe some nerve damage? I hope the other vet is able to get to the bottom of this.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Thanks Mary Ann. My sister moved a few months ago, from a house with carpet to a house that is all tile. Toni has had some trouble getting around on the floor. But unlike at the old house, there are no stairs, and she no longer goes outside. I will tell my sister to check the temperature of the paws. As I said, the first vet is an old country vet, and doesn't normally do what he feels to be "extraordinary" tests.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  6. Tuxedo Mom

Sending prayers and healing energy for your sister and her kitty. It is so devastating to have a sick kitty and not know what the problem is. :bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Definately sending healing vibes!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  8. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

If she slipped on the tile floors and maybe twisted her back, I suppose she could have some edema around her spine that might put pressure on it and make it difficult or impossible for her to walk?

9. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Stroke or blood clot if it's an older cat. There is a viral illness that can cause temporary, sudden, and severe progressing paralysis, but this resolves in a week or two. Also, there is a thing called tick-bite paralysis which is like an allergic reaction/auto-immune reaction to an attached tick and the toxins they inject. Once you remove the tick it goes away. Also, vestibular (ear) issues will make it look like a cat has issues walking and legs don't work, but it's really an inner ear problem.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  10. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

11. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Just wanted to give you all an update on my sister's cat. She went to the new vet today. They did bloodwork, x-rays, and ......found nothing! The second vet is baffled as well. They gave her some sub-q fluids and some antibiotics, and are hoping for the best.

12. jayla-n-Drevon

Is kitty any better ?

13. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Not really, at least not when I talked to my sister at lunch. She said that the sub-q seemed to throw her equilibrium off even more.

14. jayla-n-Drevon

15. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Is the kitty indoor only or does she go outside?

16. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

She is indoor only now. But that's only been in the last few months, since my sister moved.

17. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Could simply be a sprained ankle. How long has she been limping?

18. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

It had been a few days. The limping morphed into her not being able to stand or walk at all. But my sister said she is starting to improve some.

19. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat did that for a few weeks after landing wrong jumping out of her cat tree, coupled with a touch of arthritis. took a few weeks but then she was back to normal.

20. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Trying to upload a video of my sister's cat from today. It won't let me. But she is doing much better! Thanks everyone for you prayers and vines!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  21. Tuxedo Mom

Good news!!! Thanks for the update. :bighug::bighug:

22. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Trying to figure out how to upload that video. But I talked to my sister this morning. She said Toni is doing perfect, like nothing happened. She is pretty convinced that she had a stroke though, and is eager to find out why, if that is what happened, and how to prevent another. Thanks again for all the prayers!

Glennie likes this.
  23. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

24. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

25. Larry and Kitties

Did you "publish" the video as the link said?
    When I try to play it I get error that "This video is private"

26. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Ooops. Try it now?

27. Larry and Kitties

The video plays fine now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.