? Asking for formulaes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Capoo, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capoo

Capoo Member

Hi all!

As you may know, the composition of an aliment may vary depending on its site of fabrication.
    In this forum, I have found a lot of information about the carbohydrate content of wet food available in the USA, in the UK, but not in France.
    I have already noticed that the composition of the same wet food sold in France hasn't the same composition as the one sold in the USA nor in the UK.
    So I would like to establish a list of food available in France, and even a spreadsheet that can be used world wild, to calculate not only the carbohydrate content, but also the number of calories brought by them.

Lets assume that we can directly find on the can label the following data, expressed in % of the wet food:
    - humidity,
    - protein,
    - ash,
    - fiber,
    - fat.

It's easy to find the carbohydrate content on a wet and on a dry basis content, but what about the calories brought by each component? Do factors exist to tell that such component brings such a number of calories?

Thanking you in advance,

Sophie

scoobydoox likes this.
  2. Capoo

Capoo Member

And I want to add that I spent the last Saturday afternoon on Zooplus website, trying to calculate the carbohydrate content of each food based on the composition announced by the site. Finally, I ordered some different brands, and what a disappointment when the cans arrived!!!! The composition on the cans labels were completely different from the ones written on the website!!!!

scoobydoox likes this.
  3. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

This could also be made into a sticky by a mod?

4. Capoo

Capoo Member

Yes, of course, I just wanted to help...

5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

I think its a great idea. I just meant have it as a sticky on the forum to as backup copy

6. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Have you tried emailing the companies in France that make cat food and seeing if they would tell you exactly what is in the food?

7. Capoo

Capoo Member

Yes, I did it last Saturday, and I'm still waiting for their answers.

8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Zooplus food info can sometimes be a little....'off'.....
    Which foods did you buy that had the different info on the labels? Some of the foods on my list have had their values worked out by the info on the Zooplus website. You may be able to help me correct any errors... ;)

Yes.
    For a wet matter calculation you add up the percentages for protein, fat, fibre, ash and moisture and deduct that from 100% to get the carbohydrate percentage (by weight).
    You then multiply protein and carbohydrate by 3.5, and fat by 8.5 to get the calories per 100g. Then you can add those up to get the total calories per 100g.
    To get the 'percentage of calories from carbs' you then divide the 'carbs from calories per 100g' by the 'total calories per 100g', and then multiply by 100. That will give you the 'percentage of calories from carbs'. :)

Edited to add...
    I have an Excel spreadsheet that does these calculations (on a wet matter/as fed basis). It's basic, but it works. Do message me your email address if you'd like me to send it to you.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For a rough cut to get the calories, you can use this calculator.
    Then you must do the math to get the percent of calories from each of protein, fat, and carbohydrate.

11. Capoo

Capoo Member

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answers, I'll work on that!

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Granatapet is a really great quality food (especially their Symphonie range) and low carb. Should be available from Zooplus.

Mogs

13. Capoo

Capoo Member

Hi Mogs,

Thanks a lot for your advise!
    I had a look at your spreadsheet, and all the formulas that I was looking for were in it, so double thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.