asking for help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Denese Cranga, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denese Cranga

Denese Cranga New Member

I'm new on here and wondering if anyone lives close enough to Whiting or Toms River New Jersey to help me with home testing . thank you

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you have Facebook, join the Feline Diabetes group

We have a list of people willing to help a newbie and there are quite a few listed in NJ.....including one in Toms River

I don't know who on our list are also here on the message board and not everyone uses their real name here either

3. Denese Cranga

Denese Cranga New Member

I did write one in feline diabetes and no one responded. thank you

4. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Hello. Google: "how to home test your diabetic cats blood sugar" There are several videos that pop up. It is quite easy with practice and patience. Put a flashlight to the back of the ear to help visualize where the blood vessels are. This really helped me get a feel for where to poke.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

6. Denese Cranga

Denese Cranga New Member

I
    I have watched so many videos and can't hold the flaslight, lancet, meter and Tazz at the same time. He fights me to no end. I've tried wrapping him which is worse it scares him and his heartbeat goes up so high that I don't think I would get an accurate reading.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

8. Harley Baby & Michele

Hi Denese. I actually meant for you to use the flashlight before testing just to get an idea where the veins are. :) Can you try to have your kitty sit beside you or on your lap then gently rub his ear with 2 fingers? This may get him to relax and get used to the sensation. Take your time and let him relax before the poke and then maybe he won't notice. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Also massaging the ears helps to get the blood flowing. It also sometimes raises the vein to make it easier to see.

Make sure you have some low carb treats and reward him even when you are not successful testing him. He will soon relate testing with being rewarded

10. Denese Cranga

Denese Cranga New Member

I have tried with the flashlight. He's all black and believe me when I say I tried gently with my head, hands and sock to warm in he area. He hates to be held I get him on my lap to trim his nails or just pick him to love on and he growls at me which he has never done before. I swear he is Psychic. I will give treats but he knows what's coming. Added to that I have no family and my anxiety level has never been so high. I'm on disability which covers my rent and a few bills. Have to move by March landlord selling house, have no part time job or $. Plus in the past year I've had 6 deaths of close family and friends. So it doesn't take much for me to feel worthless and rottten.
    Sorry get caught up in issues. Thank you so much for reaching out and reading. Bless you.

11. JeanW

JeanW Member

It helped me a lot to have a desk lamp where I'm going to do the testing. For me it works to lay soft towel or garment on top of the clothes washer, turn on desk lamp near by (may replace flashlight). This puts my kitty at a bit higher than counter height and makes it easier for me to hold on to her. I put both arms around my cat so she is "boxed in" and can't get away.

After putting soft towel down - and before picking up kitty - I make sure I have the lance, meter with test strip, cotton ball all ready to go. I pick up kitty and hold her and pet her and scratch her head and chin. I put the package of treats there (not open) so she can smell them. I don't use the pen just have the lance in my hand. Warm the ear with your fingers helps a lot.

Also, probably the number one thing that helped me most is to poke the ear on the very edge/tip of the ear so that you're almost (but not) poking the underside.

At the beginning it all caused me terrible anxiety. And it is still far from my favorite thing to do. But it is SO necessary - knowing the BG levels and testing to get that info - is so so so much better than alternatives of your cat BG being way too high or way too low and will help fine tune the amount of insulin needed. It helps to remember that it's one of the best thing you can do for your kitty - even when it doesn't feel like it. And this knowledge will help put you on the path to getting the diabetes regulated and maybe in remission.

After poking and putting the meter there to catch the blood and it beeps for an accurate read, give your cat a few treats from the now opened bag.

It gets better and easier.

12. Harley Baby & Michele

Hi Denese. Please do not feel worthless and rotten. You are doing the best you can in your specific circumstances. I noticed Tazz has been treated for Diabetes since 8/2015. So you must be doing something right! If you just can not poke his little ear, so be it.

How have you been monitoring blood sugar for the past 3 years? If you go to the Vet for routine blood testing and glucose curves I imagine that gets expensive very fast. Eventually, if you are able to learn to test at home you will be able to save money and you really will be keeping your Kitty safer by becoming aware of low blood sugars early on. But again, if you can not manage it, so be it. But keep practicing and try to be in a state of mental relaxation when you do it.

What are you feeding? Ideally, a low carb canned food is best. I use Friskies Classic Pate; a 5.5oz can is about 50 cents each. Never feed anything with gravy or cream; sometimes "Grain Free" is not any good as the carbs were replaced with peas, carrot, sweet potato which is actually high in sugar. Look under the Main Forum, first yellow sticky for food info. My computer is really acting up so can't cut and paste.

I would also suggest purchasing Ketone Test Strips for urine. Walmart sells "ReliOn" brand Ketone Test Strips, 50 for $6.64. If you can at least test for Ketones daily, you will have some idea if Kitty is fairly regulated. If you show any Ketones you would need to seek medical treatment quickly. If you catch it fast the treatment cost should be less.

Again, you can only do what you are able to do with what you have. One Day At A Time :cat:

13. Denese Cranga

Denese Cranga New Member

Thank you and I do have ketone strips

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.