Assessing early stage renal issues

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by toreishi, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toreishi

toreishi Member

Salt is still OTJ thanks to you good people.
    But little Mango is having issues. Diagnosed months ago with early signs of renal issues, he has recently been drinking what seems to be liters of water a day. Time for a vet visit and, I fear, SQ fluids.

What tests should he be having at this point ? I'm going to a new vet (as the old one did not approve of my approach to Salt's diabetes.....Good bye, vet) and want to be sure that I'm not being over sold a lot of excess testing while ensuring that all of the necessary bases are covered.
    Thanks !

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

The best resource on the web for feline renal issues is Tanya's Site. If you look in the left hand column on the home page I think there's a topic which tells you about the tests you need to get done. There's also a link to their support group - many members with a great deal of experience there, too. There's a Yahoo group for Feline CRF at the link below - also well-regarded.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Feline-CRF-Support/info

Great avatar pic, BTW. :)

Mogs

3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid of SQ... you managed FD and that is quite a dance.
    My non diabetic was DX with CRF at 11 he is now 17--when he was DX I was shocked as he was so young but after I flushed him we re evaluated and now I gauge his need for fluids by behavior --he is getting them about 4 times a week--when he goes for BW they do not know he has kidney issues as the fluids have them in perfect range.
    My FD kitty gets them daily he is 16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.