Asthma and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Button's Mom, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Button's Mom

Button's Mom Guest

Hello! I'm new to the board. I've been reading about asthma-induced diabetes from past posts. My cat, Button, is 2.5 years old. She has asthma and it is currently getting to a point where I need to put her on inhaled steroids. I really don't want to do this and have tried virtually everything to avoid doing so (wet food only and only certain types, I avoid all fragrances and dyes, I make my own cleaners for the house, I dust and vaccum regularly). I know Button has at least two food allergies and a dust mite allergy. We installed a humidifier in the house last month.

I am writing on this board because I have had a cat with diabetes in the past and I know what steroid can do to a cat. Button is so young and her asthma is getting worse. She is currently using Albuterol for her asthma but that can't help for long (or at least doesn't seem to be helping).

Does anyone know if there is a way to avoid using steroids for cats with asthma? Would a raw food diet possibly help at all? I have done a lot of research on feline asthma and the doctors tell me that inhaled steroids are better because not so much of the steroid is absorbed. However, I have such a bad feeling about giving her any steroids. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you,
    Button's Mom

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Button's Mom.

I'm sorry to hear that little Button has asthma. :( One of our members, Sarah (@phlika29), has a cat with asthma and diabetes. Remi was diagnosed with FD last year and after successful Lantus treatment he is now a diet-controlled diabetic. Remi has allergies, too. I've tagged Sarah in this post for you. Hopefully she'll drop by soon to give you some pointers. I do remember her saying that the inhaled steroids are better from a blood glucose perspective.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Please see the web site Fritz The Brave for info on using inhaled steroids in asthmatic cats. These have less systemic effect on glucose levels, so are less likely to elevate them.

4. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi

As aine said my cat remi is on inhaled steroids for his asthma and it has no noticeable effect on his blood glucose and neither did he need more insulin because of it.

In the end asthma is a life threatening condition that needs to be got under control as soon as possible because it will do long term damage to a cats lungs. I would have no hesitation in recommending inhaled flixotide. The effect is just localised to the lungs and if your cat already has inhaled ventolin (through a spacer) then it will be no problem at all. My vet has always warned that asthma is a progressive disease that needs to be treated even if it appears mild.

For info I will copy a message I already posted on where you can get medication.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Have a look around these websites for advice on the condition.

http://www.fritzthebrave.com
    http://felineasthma.org/overview/index.htm

I am a member of this yahoo group and would recommend that you join this one or the other main one. The set up is different from the diabetes forum but the groups knowledge is fantastic
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/felineasthma/info

This is the set up you will need to buy

http://www.trudellmed.com/animal-health/aerokat

It is used like a spacer for a baby. Once a cat gets used to it most take to it readily. The recommended way is to start by just leaving it near the cat and then putting a treat in it for them to eat. Then after a day or two try placing it quickly over their mouth, just for a second or two. Then give a treat. Then try a little longer and more treats. Etc

The steroid puffer that we use for cats is cheapest if you buy it from the online pharmacy called inhouse pharmacy. Initially you need to send them a prescription but after you have ordered from them once you don't need to do that again. Pretty much all the members of the yahoo group buy their inhalers from this company. The minimum dose a cat should be put on is one puff of flixotide 125 mcg twice a day (twelve hours apart). Remi is on a larger dose than that but he started off on the lower dose and it worked well for a couple of years. Once under control there should be no coughing or wheezing.

https://www.inhousepharmacy.vu/p-398-flixotide-cfc-free-125mcg-inhaler-fluticasone.aspx

You should also order a ventolin inhaler at the same time, in case of emergencies.

https://www.inhousepharmacy.vu/p-526-ventolin-inhaler-salbutamol.aspx

With the flixotide you puff once into the spacer and then they have to breath into the mask for at least 10 breaths. Once this is happening It takes about 10 days to fully get into their system and the oral steroid can be slowly reduced and then stopped. I just sit remi on my lap and he happily does it.

6. Button's Mom

Button's Mom Guest

Thank you all for the replies. I still think that there must be a better way than pumping my cat full of steroids, even only if it is just inhaled. I must be missing something she is allergic to. Is there enough scientific reporting on the long-term effects of inhaled steroids yet available or is this a relatively new therapy? I'm still unsure. Thanks for your help. I'll consider one of the other boards. I just don't want the pressure to do something that may cause diabetes when I have time to try other options. I don't trust vets at all or doctors for that matter! Thank you again.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Human asthmatics have used inhaled steroids to avoid using oral steroids for over a decade or more. It results in a much lower dose (micrograms instead of milligrams) and lowers the risk of side effects to near zero. It does NOT "Pump them full of steroids".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.