? AT 2 Tested at 100/110 Okay to feed?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FranklinsMom, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Hey everyone.

Despite what it says on this page: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...regulation-shooting-handling-low-numbers.147/ I am panicking a little bit. So apologize for double-posting here and to main forum.

Franklin is on Lantus Solostar pen 3 units twice a day. I have only one strip left because the strips I purchased due to arrive on Saturday...they screwed up on the delivery. I'm hoping that gets resolved today but at the moment only one strip left. Will post to Nextdoor and see if any neighbor has one.

Franklin tested at 100. I had poked myself (no blood) but just in case used a different lancet to test again. He got a 110.

Okay to feed him but I think I hold off in insulin? Is that right? I am dog sitting around the corner so my laptop is here--raced back here to post. Gonna get my password info now for my phone! Sent a text to the vet. So my complete food log is back home but the lower numbers started when I started feeding Fancy Feast Classic and now dry food.

His numbers using AT 2:

8/16 AMPS 444 PMPS 455
    8/17 AMPS 401 PMPS 448
    8/18 AMPS 418 PMPS 207
    8/19 AMPS 301 PMPS 332
    8/20 AMPS 227 PMPS 235
    8/21 AMPS 110

He and his sister anxiously await news on their breakfast plans. Gonna go read about others who have posted similar posts.

Thanks!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Considering you don't have any strips, I'd just skip the AM shot ....call it a furshot and get back on track tonight

That's another reason most of us use the Relion meters from WalMart...strips are available 24/7

3. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Thanks very much! Appreciate it!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

wow great number! Good think you are testing. I learned the hard way to always have a backup bottle of strips. I ran out once... I was able to get a bottle at my vet's office, but they sold them for about $14 more than I can get online. Amazon can usually send them next day. The cheapest place is adwdiabetes.com because they always have $5 off codes.

5. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Everytime I look adw is just slightly more than amazon. Where can I find the $5 off codes?

6. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I bought my strips off Ebay...ironically from someone else here in Florida. They sent them on Wednesday morning. As a newbie I'm taking more than one strip per test sometimes right now, sometimes three. Wasn't planing a three-strip test this weekend and thought I would be okay. I'm already monitoring Ebay for more strips. Will get some there soon and then, I should have my backups.

Vet called this morning and I mentioned my situation and that I might go get a Relion meter. (She wants me to do a curve today or whenever I get the strips.) She said no to the Relion meter. I know. I know. I'll get there. I've only been testing for a week or so and dealing with the diagnosis for two weeks. Lots of information to absorb and um, a few unexpected expenses to the unemployed budget. My brother expressed his sympathy. Wish he could express that in Amazon gift cards. ;)

Marvin's Mom - Nat likes this.
  7. Chubba (GA)

I never looked on eBay. Always buy off vetmed from amazon, but in the few months I've been buying them they have increased from $42 to $52 for a box of 50. ADW was slightly cheaper on amazon last month, so I purchased from them. I am very close to switching to a human meter ... my vet says no also. But ... the cost of the strips and the cost of lower phosphorus food, plus him being on a higher dose of insulin. Amazon gift cards would be awesome! :p

8. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Someone else on here suggested Ebay. There are some "Buy It Now" options or you can bid and hope you win. There seems to be a ton of the Freestyle Lite Strips on Ebay. But I imagine you need to be online at the end of the auction to win those and my schedule has been a little crazy this weekend.

9. Meridith and Zeke

Meridith and Zeke Well-Known Member

The first time I had to test through a low number with Zeke, in my mind I had plenty of strips, Zeke was lucky we didn't run out. Now, there will always be a minimum of 150 strips here and we use the Relion micro with a walmart 10 minutes away. I am also looking at how long a bottle of 50 strips last us. This upcoming winter is supposed to be brutal and for where I live, that means ICE. I don't do ice lol. So once winter hits, I want a minimum of a 2 weeks supply of strips on hand.

10. JanetNJ

Retailmenot.com always lists a bunch.

FranklinsMom likes this.
  11. Chubba (GA)

Cool. Thanks.

12. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

There is a browser plugin called Invisible Hand: http://www.getinvisiblehand.com/ If you install this, when you are looking at a particular item, it will tell you if that item can be found cheaper elsewhere. Some of the other places are sometimes places I've never heard of so you might need to be wary. Plus there may be a large shipping charge which defeats the purpose of a lower price. But I have found it helpful while shopping for things online. I am new to the diabetic cat world and am not sure if it would be helpful here or not. But FYI.

Chubba (GA) likes this.
  13. JanetNJ

There's one I use called honey that Automatically looks for coupon codes. It's come in handy several times.

FranklinsMom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.