At a loss with Merlin....he seems better!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Traci and Boomer, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Middle last week I noticed he was leaving a little bit of food in his bowl which is weird because he's a total foodie. THe only food that he can eat without getting liquipoo (that I've found) is Wellness but he never loved it like other kinds. He can eat Soulistic without getting overly sick so I went out and got some with gravy. After 2-3 cans he got very sick with liquipoo and his appetite went down. I thought it must be the gravy because the kind in gellee is usually okay. His appetite was minimal and he'd had liquipoo for 2 days. I got flagyl from the vet.

Last night we went to the vet for an appointment. I felt rushed-it was 20 minutes. It was our yearly appointment and I've only been to her twice in the past. She looks like a kid - she was a referral. (After the deaths of my last two cats I couldn't bring myself to go to my old vet again because I went through UTTER HELL.) The new vet was happy go lucky about him, didn't think I should do any tests and wasn't worried at all about his diarrhea. She thought it was just due to a food change and "some cats always have sensitive stomachs". He had gained 2 pounds form last year so she focused on that. I guess she thought he'd just get over his sickness. That was last night. He ate a 3 ounce can of food over night. He normally doesn't take hours to eat but I was happy he ate it.

He's still not eating much; it's worse. He usually has tons of gusto about his food - not now - and I gave him the Soulistic he loves. Nothing. I put out 4 kinds tonight - even FancyFeast. The ONLY thing he'll eat is deli turkey. He didn't greet me at the door two nights in a row which is unusual. I think there is more to this than what the vet thinks. She's nice, don't get me wrong, but she doesn't strike me as overly knowledgeable. It seemed like she wasn't "getting it" she was laid back to the point that I was uncomfortable.

Should I call my old vet or call her back and tell her he's still sick and now maybe she'll take me seriously? Should I give her another chance? I'm not even giving him the diahrrea meds because he's not eating enough. He hasn't pooped for 24 hours.

THoughts????

2. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Re: At a loss with Merlin :-( PLEASE help!

I'd call your current vet in the am and expalin how worried you are. I'd probably be saying that I was concerned enough to get a 2nd opinion if needed....
    Cedric & I are praying that it's just a little bug..

3. mccat2

mccat2 Member

Sampson has severe IBD. Did they take and xray to check the bowel. I gave Sampson the flagyl and budesonide and it helps somewhat. What I did notice with the Flagyl is that once it kicks it he may not have a bm for a day and then the stool gets more firm. However I can't stop him from the diarrhea and ever get it under control 100%. Is your Merlin diabetic as well? I would have the xrays done and maybe find another vet. Look at the reviews online if you can or try someone else you know.
    Is he drinking water?
    Good Luck.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you need a vet that will take you and Merlin's issue seriously. And someone who will take the time to listen to your concerns and not "laugh it off" or look at their watch because you are going beyond 20 minutes.

You are paying for the expertise, time and care of a professional and that is what you expect to receive.

So, is there a third vet you can go to? I can understand not wanting to go back to the other one, so who else is available that you can see? How about the owner of the practice?

5. Traci and Boomer

You guys are lifesavers, I swear. I know I tend to get worked up quickly and I'm trying to factor that into the equation.

Hilary- I like the owner of the practice idea. That's better than going back to my old vet (right now). Do I need to worry about what the other vet I saw last night (Vet #2) thinks? This place does dogs too. Do places that do dogs like cats too? THey told me the person I went to last night specifically likes cats. She does but she seems to know SQUAT.

Vicki- they did no tests of any kind. I even asked for them but nothing. Regarding water - I never see him drink even if he's fine. He's not diabetic.

Doombuggy-sorry, I don't know your name. A "little bug" would be fabulous.

UPDATE: I sat with him and assist-fed with my fingers. I've never done this before but I remembered that sometimes they start to eat if you do this. He ate about half the bowl after! So this is better. Maybe with the 1-2 slices of turkey and now half this can he's full?

You wouldn't believe how much food (and $$$) I've wasted.

As far as his WCR - he peed earlier, he's grooming, he played a little, but it's 82 in here so I'm not going to push it.

I'm going to see how he does overnight - if he eats anything else and then see what he does in the morning. I suck at this. This is precisely why I don't purposely adopt special needs cats. It takes over my entire life and I can't think about or do anything else. It's not a joy for me. Some folks (and god bless them) have the magic touch or patience and don't freak. Not me..........I love cats. I'd love another one, but I still feel like I only get sick ones.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Traci,
    We are kind of floating in the same boat. Tom is on a hunger strike and it is TOTALLY FREAKING ME OUT! I am now at the point of giving dry kibble.
    It has been building up for weeks I think.
    No diarhea but it seemed to start with some vomiting.
    It's so sad to see a nibble here or there with no gusto.
    He is a hair away from remission, yet we are back on kibble.
    confused_cat
    Hugs,
    Lori
    and Lord Thomas

7. Traci and Boomer

Lori-I thought of you last night while I was hand-feeding. Have you given that a try? I was so desperate for that cat to eat that I put my bare hands in cat food and made a mess. Eeeewww. BUT it worked and it reminded him that he liked it and he stated eating. Thank GOD.

Do you use any teasers to try to interest him in food? The main ones that help me are FortiFloa, Nutritional Yeast (from Whole Foods - all my cats have loved this sprinkled on their food and it's ok for a diabetic) and crushed up freeze dried treats.

Todays UPDATE: He ate a little more over night and ate a whole can at breffis and had a normal poop. I pray that he's turned the corner and that it's a little bug that's going away.

8. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

last week, my spanky did the same thing. ate with gusto and all of a sudden started puking and diarrhea. he has NEVER done that. went on (thank goodness) for only 8 hours and all is well now. no one else got whatever he had

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Happy for you and Merlin, Traci.
    Tears here for Tom....it's just not happening.
    really really really sad here today.
    a little kibble is all. he is acting all confused.

10. dian and wheezer

I think some SQ fluids may help Lor

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm way to ignorant on this topic...how to give sub Q. where do I buy sub Q? all i ever participate in around here is the insulin and breaking in a newbie....I know nothing of other illnesses.

12. Traci and Boomer

Lori-

I totally know how you feel. I'd feel the same way. And if Merlin doesn't eat tonight I'll be back to where you are.

Why don't you tell us what you've tried?
    Has he eaten anything at all? What?
    What is the WCR?
    Does he look alert? Is he doing different things than usual?
    Do you have an appointment scheduled?

This doesn't mean he's got something that can't be fixed. Please don't go there!!!!

13. dian and wheezer

SQ from Vet but if he has not eaten for a few days or so, he should be seen by vet. he is probably lethargic cause he is now dehydrated

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Traci,
    Tom started losing his appetite gradually, a few weeks ago. Just leaving a few left overs. It grew. Then became worse.
    He ate some kibble today...less than 1 ounce. I have not seen him drink.
    I have given him grandma lucy (freeze dried chicken) over a meal a few days ago and he loved it. Ate nearly a whole can! Next day he lost interest in that treat. He shows interest in temptations so I bought a grain free dry kibble.
    I just gave him (right now) 1/2 a pepcid AC 10mg. ohmygod_smile now I see I should have given him only 1/4.
    I tried to get him to wash it down with a tin of sardines I just bought him. He licked the juice, that's all. I have some chicken baby food....but not given yet.
    He is not greeting me like usual, but he was outside on top of the washing machine (yes it is kind of outdoors) so he is jumping ok. He still likes to go out and walk.
    He still performs all his P's but it may be me that is not playing...or maybe him, I don't know.
    He did get off the machine and follow me to the kitchen when I told him I had treats.
    He also 'asked' me to brush him this morning before I left for work.
    That is my WCR

15. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I don't have advice for either of you dealing with kitties who don't want to eat, just lots of good eating thoughts and prayers both your ways ..

16. Traci and Boomer

Hi Lori-

Thanks for the WCR. It seems that the vet is in order; you've tried a lot of things. I hate it when one thing works one day and then not again. That's happened to me too. But still - don't think the worst. He may have a "bug" or something that's fixable!!! Don't give up. Get him to the vet for a check up. nailbite_smile

17. Traci and Boomer

Update:
    Both last night and this morning he ate all his food. He had another normal poop last night although he's still on a small dose of flagyl.

He seems back to his normal self attitude-wise. It's also not as hot. I'm wondering if that may have played into it also?

I've only been feeding him grain-free Soulistic. This food usually gives him soft poop - not liquipoo. The Wellness is the ONLY thing I've found that he can eat without being sick....BUT...he doesn't like it. He's still on the Flagyl while eating the Soulistic; the thing is he can't be on the flagyl forever, but I DO need him to eat without being sick. It's SUCH a battle. Maybe I can substitute slippery elm every day for the flagyl. It's a constant work in progress!!!! I am just extrememly grateful that he's feeling better for now!!!!!!

18. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

Traci, I know you said you have tried a lot of different foods, but have you tried Merrick Grammy's Pot Pie? It's chicken, basically. It does great for my two (out of three) kitties who don't do terribly well on or get tired of Wellness. It hasn't caused a bit of poo problems in my one cat that tends that way with most foods. (Here, PetCo carries it, though for routine feeding I get it from PetFlow - lots cheaper.)

19. Traci and Boomer

Hi Jean-
    For whatever reason, none of my cats including Merlin have will eat any of the Merrick foods. They seem great and they are grain free. No luck but thanks for the suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.