Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I honestly do not know where I am going wrong with Sinbad. I took him to his vet this morning for his curve. I received an urgent call from his doctor stating his levels were critically low - 3o. I have done everything as instructed and I am still not able to stabilize my boy. He is no longer on dry food, his insulin is administered as instructed by the doctor. I am waiting for an update in an hour as I am told that an IV may be started to bring his levels up. Any suggestions are welcomed as I am at a loss.

2. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

Prayers sent from Lubbock, Texas !

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Thelma, you might consider taking his levels at home. They tend to be more accurate than vet curves as stress raises levels (Most cats are stressed at the vet)and you can stay on top of what is happening. The vet could teach you or we have lots of videos and tips. Most people here test before each shot to make sure it is safe to shoot the amount you are planning and mid cycle to see how low the dose takes him.

The vet is definitely the best place for him. They can bring up those low levels and get him stabilized.

Let us know if we can help.

4. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

I agree. Home testing is easy and in my opinion, a must. Fred is now in remission, after four months of home testing and shooting. There were days when I didn't shoot him because he was too low. Again I'm praying for healing. He's a gorgeous kitty. You're a good mama.

5. Thank you. I purchased a Relion meter and will keep track of this. I love hearing that kitties go into remission!!!

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Great. Let us know how it is going. What helped us most was to heat the ear enough and big enough lancets at first. Most humans use 30/31 gauge while kitties whose ears are "learning to bleed" often need 25-27 gauge.

7. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

Luna went into remission after 4-5 months and recently came back out, mostly because I wasn't home testing properly I'm sure. It's just impossible to stay on top of feline diabetes without home testing. I wish I started sooner but every vet URGED me not too home test, derp.

8. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

I never knew that. I just stuck with the 30 gauge though it was hard at first. The 'heating' part makes things so much easier, just a swift little poke and the juicy red stuff flows! (vampire talk).

9. That's great to know, thank you.

10. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Thelma, what insulin is Sinbad cat on? And how long has he been on it? I am wondering if the dose was too high. That can often cause BG # (blood glucose #'s) to dive.

Testing at home is easy to do and essential while your cat is on insulin. If your cat goes hypo again (BG #'s goes too low), you'll be able to get excellent guidance here from members and save yourself and your cat a trip to the vet.

Here's a good glucometer guide BJM prepared that will be very handy when you start home testing. I used it during a hypo episode with CJ and she soon went into remission. Hopefully that will happen for Sinbad, too!

Glucomter Guide:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oI_34_EgqeKdpyttFW0oLoG1mbw16IkATAWHhoQD2JU/pub

11. Sinbad is on Lanus 2 units every 12 hours. Since this episode, it will be reduced. I just got word from his doctor and they put him on IV to bring his numbers up. This is outrageously scary, but part of it is my fault for not home testing, which I should have done from the beginning.

12. I don't understand why the vet would steer you away from home testing. How would you know if Luna's levels are ok if they are not consistently checked? This is a painful lesson I am learning myself.

13. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

There is a great Lantus forum here and many experienced, knowledgeable members who can help you and Sinbad.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  14. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

It's partly practice as well as the gauge of the lancet. I moved Rosa down from 26 to 31 gauge before I ever tested her civvie twin, Regan. So when I first tested Regan, I went straight in with a 31 gauge without even thinking about whether or not it would work...it worked first time even though her ears hadn't learned to bleed at all!!

15. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

My vet said there was no need to home test and told me to bring back CJ in a month or so for a BG recheck. I thought that was very odd and was glad I found this forum. The day I learned to home test was the day I found out CJ was hypo.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    Critter Mom likes this.
  16. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

I found the Lantus forum to be a very valuable group ! I do not understand how a vet can not recommend home testing, other than they get your $ every time you come in. My vet was pretty much useless. I Treated Fred based on what I learned here and I'd send my SS ( spreadsheet) to her every so often, just to keep her informed, but she never got involved. Please don't blame yourself! We were all sugar virgins once.

17. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

18. Hello Cat Ma,
    I posted a message to the other board regarding an update on Sinbad. After brining him home from the vet on Tuesday, and instructed to give him an insulin shot that evening against my better judgment, I awoke at 3:00 am to a barely breathing Sinbad. He was taken to the ER (another vet not his regular doctor) and it was determine that Sinbad was at a critical 25. He was hospitalized and later that day the new doctor contacted me stating it is her opinion (and I agree) based on Sinbad's reaction to insulin, he was not diabetic. She went ahead with X-rays to his hind legs due to the neuropathy (which started this terrible journey) and the results revealed he had a fractured tailbone. So long story short, he was basically being poisoned by the insulin due to the misdiagnosis. I am happy to report though, he is making a full recovery and his levels are back up to a normal range. I am so blessed by God that Sinny (his nickname) was spared. I pray the regular doctor gets her act together and realizes these animals are more than pets to us, they are our kids.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  19. Just a quick note, I had all the pre-insulin blood testing, which I did not see the results, but was told by his regular vet were abnormal. She also did a Fructosamine test, which she states (again no results were given to me even though I requested it), revealed abnormalities for sometime. Needless to say, I will be even more protective of Sinbad than ever before. ;)

20. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

What a week you guys have had. Thank God he is on the road to recovery.

Thelma & Sinbad likes this.
  21. Thank you everyone for the prayers and support. Yes, this has been a very emotional week.

22. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Poor Sinbad and for you, what a week indeed. So sorry to hear about his fractured tailbone and neuropathy.

Glad to hear Sinbad's #'s are back in the normal range again. It is still important to home test to make sure Sinbad's numbers continue to stay good. There's a chance Sinbad's #'s can go back up again; anything can happen in a sugar cat.

Treating low #'s at home is doable with home testing.

You pay for the tests so you are entitled to copies of all lab work, xrays, etc.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  23. Yes, you are correct, I am entitled to his records, and have sent a formal written request for those. Sinbad is now with a new doctor and I'm very comfortable with her. He is not out of the woods all together as far as high BS and will have to keep an eye on it. Diet and exercise changes will help him. For now, we are working on the healing of the fracture (he is now back home and very happy!!!)

24. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

So glad you switched doctors. Very smart decision. Wishing Sinbad a speedy recovery.

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

So very happy to hear Sinbad is on the road to recovery. How horrible for both of you! I would not be so kind about the vet poisoning your cat. Think I would find out if they had a FB page and post what happened. It would just make me feel better......

Thelma & Sinbad likes this.
  26. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I got a call from the vet saying all lab work for Charlie, my civie, was great except his glucose. The office said to have Charlie's BG #'s re-checked in a month. I was braced for the worst thinking I'd be dealing with two sugar cats. I received a copy of lab results and it shows Charlie is "too high" by merely 4 points! Which means he is completely normal. Remarkable considering how stressed and miserable he was at the vet. I was expecting his BG #'s to be well over 200! Not even close!

27. That is wonderful news!!! Because I had absolutely no experience with this, when I heard 303 - I panicked and trusted Sinbad's doctor. Sinbad is borderline diabetic - his levels are high enough for him to become diabetic. HOWEVER, at no time should he have been on insulin and I nearly lost him because of that. I've attached a picture of Sinbad now at home. He looks a little funny with one leg shaved from the IV site. He has not left my side since I came home from work. Valuable lesson learned!!!

Sinbad.jpg

Critter Mom and Cat Ma like this.
  28. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Sinbad is so beautiful! I love his markings and colors. He looks very happy to be home.

Yes, a cat that is borderline diabetic should never be on insulin. 303 at the vet would very likely be much lower at home so you will know where he really is at when you home test. CJ's BG was much higher than Sinbad's, with #'s over 480 at the vet. Now I get BG #'s in the 70s and 90s. It's amazing what a change in diet and home testing can do.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  29. Thank you. (You have a beautiful kitty also). You gave useful info and I will definitely keep on top of this. :cat:

Cat Ma likes this.
  30. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

He is beautiful!

31. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

Aw he is so handsome ! And yeah I think we all have seen the shaved leg and/ or neck from IV/ blood tests. Glad he's home. Purr on Sinbad! Purr on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.