At my wits end!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty & Tiger, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty & Tiger

Patty & Tiger Member

Tigers numbers are up and down from hour to hour. This is so frustrating trying to get it consistant. I was giving .80 for about 3 weeks and the numbers were basically in the 300's and 400's. I started giving him 1u now for 2 days and it is in the 200's and 400's. It can be low 200's one hour and the next hour be a little higher, then the next hour be back lower again. He eats 4 times a day and is still playing and grooming. He is peeing smaller amounts and hardly drinks any water (I am adding water to his food). Should I keep giving the 1u or up it to 1.20 and see what that does? I don't know what to do at this point. Can someone please help :sad:

2. Shelly/Boots

Shelly/Boots Member

I don't know this insulin. I only know lantus. With Lantus you want to stay on the same dose and let the dose regulate. There was a time in your chart where
    you were shooting 1.25 and it looked like BS. were starting to get even. You didn't shoot at the 66 and then change the insulin to 1.0.
    Like I said I only know about lantus, so you will have to get the opinion of the experts. If it was lantus at 66, and you weren't comfortable shooting,
    then I would tell you to test in 1hr. and if the Bs's are rising, then I'd shoot 1hr. later the 1.25 I would not wait the 12 hrs.

For right now I would stay at the 1 a few days and give the dose a chance. With lantus there is always wonky Bs's the day after dose is changed. Maybe there is with Prozinc.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It's good that he is peeing and playing and eating. The high preshots are frustrating. It does seem that the insulin is wearing off early, which can suggest a higher dose is needed. You could give the one unit another cycle or two or up the dose to 1.2, watching that midcycle number to see if the cycle becomes more smile shaped - lower at the midcycle and then going up slower from +6 - 12. If you increase, monitor.

Everything else is good - low carb food and treats? No chance of a tooth or other infection?

4. Frustrating, huh? Don't let it do that to you. Regarding the up, down, up, down thing. Today you tested every hour for four hours, and that's what you're talking about, right. Well, please keep in mind that the meter is only accurate to a degree. It's got a +/-20% range of accuracy. Those four readings are almost within 10% of each other. While that's not the progression you might want, he was basically just "flat" over that four hour period. The little fluctuations each hour don't really matter. He did respond to the dose, he dropped almost 200 points.
    I do think that because the low point is still above 200, that you could increase like you said. Give 1.2 a try for at least a couple of days and see if that helps. Continue to check "in the middle" so you have an idea of how low that does takes him. It took my cat, Bob, about a month before I started to see a lot of improvement, so try not to be discouraged. You're still at a low dose (every cat is different but Bob went all the way to 4 units). You and Tiger will "get there", and it might take some time.

The outward signs - drinking and peeing less, are great things.

Carl

5. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Stop and breath for a minute. It will be ok.

Come over to the the PZI Insulin Support Group and we will put our heads together to help you and Tiger.

6. Shelly/Boots

Shelly/Boots Member

That's good advise. :D

7. Patty & Tiger

Patty & Tiger Member

I will give Tiger 1.20 starting tomorrow at his PM dose, that way I can monitor him that night. So the close numbers could be the meter, that makes sense since they were so close. He is still eating the low carb food and only gets boiled chicken for snacks. He is getting used to the shot. I just thought the numbers would be more consistant by now. I need to have more patience, I guess :oops: Thanks for the encourgagement, it helps.

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Patience grasshopper, patience.....remember this is a marathon not a sprint. instant gratification does not work with diabetes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.