At vet not looking good

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Simke, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simke

Simke Member

He was hospitalised this afternoon, still eating but looks just as bad blood 38.3 m/mmol. They said his potassium was high, on fluids, no ketones, blood had decreased red blood cells , maybe renal involvement , but not for sure, maybe kidneys not working perfectly but still working. I think I was just not getting insulin into him.

The problem is until tomorrow cost will be $1700. If he is improving I have to try to do it at home. But afraid, I guess I'll see how he is tomorrow had insulin at 6pm and will get it again at 6am

:(

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There are drugs that can bring down potassium levels. Sending lots of good thoughts Simke's way.

3. Simke

Simke Member

Thank you all for all your help. I really appreciate all you did to help Simke and me.

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending ((hugs)).. I hope he improves soon... Keeping all my babies paws crossed for you guys!

5. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

My gosh, those vets really have us over the barrel don't they? Seriously, what could they be doing in one night that would merit 1700 dollars ? Not surgery right? I don't get that :( It's like kicking people when they're down.

Sorry for the rant, I really hope your kitty gets to feeling better very soon!

6. Simke

Simke Member

I agree, it seems so high, and I think in an ideal world he would stay there three days, but unfortunately I can't do that so I need to try it at home and I am terrified of messing it up. This morning at the vet he is 17.8 and brighter. I think I made two mistakes
    1 I am not sure there was enough insulin in the syringe, as it is a tiny bit at the very top, but I think if I bring it down into syringe then squirt out until it is the right amt. I' ll know there is insulin in there

2 I may have given fur shots so now I shaved patches on him so I can hopefully see if needle is in to far

Other possibility

3 it was not enough insulin

4 any other ideas what I did wrong??

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Sweetie, please don't be thinking you did anything wrong. If you read the thread I posted on your other thread, low pottassium can happen fast and to the best caregivers. You were trying hard to get up to speed on a difficult disease. You learned to hometest in record time (it takes some people weeks), you got the right food working and you were giving insulin. All life saving things that are hard to manage.

I am sure you are skittish about getting the right amount into the syringe and into your sweet kitty. How about doing it while the vet is watching so they can give you pointers if necessary? Will they be showing you how to give fluids; is that something they are prescribing? Lots of people here have given fluids. Maybe add to your new subject line- Fluids need help? Or low pottasium - need help? It would be good to have someone who has dealt with the same issue to keep track of you.

We'll be here to help and support you. And cheer you on.

8. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

I agree with Sue, I don't think you've done anything wrong.

It sounds like you're having trouble seeing the markings on the syringe? I haven't gotten one yet, but I plan to, there are syringe magnifiers that aren't too expensive in general. You can also get or use reading glasses or clip-on magnifiers for regular glasses if that works better for you.

9. rvontrapp

rvontrapp Member

I'm sorry Smike is sick. Its good to know he is looking better this morning and I hope he keeps improving. Please don't blame yourself for him falling sick. You are doing the best you can, and your doing more for Smike than a lot of other people would do for their pet. You're doing great.

I think I understand your concerns about filling the syringe with insulin. The way I've been taught to fill the syringe is just like how you described in your item #1:
    *Pull the insulin into the syringe and past the dose
    *Keep the needle in the insulin bottle and squirt out the extra insulin back into the bottle until the correct dose is what is still in the syringe

I found a video on Youtube that illistrates this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbD2oAjPU0c

They use a different insulin and a different sized syringe in the video than what you use, but the technique for filling the syringe is the same. Sometimes seeing it done is easier to understand than written instructions. Hope this helps and Smike keeps improving.

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending Healing Vines and Get Better Soon Vines to Simke. And hugs to you.

11. Simke

Simke Member

Thanks you are all so sweet. I am going to pick him up now, they are not prescribing fluids as they say he is not dehydrated. But basically the same as we were doing except instead or potassium Iv they have an oral supplement. It sounds like he is more or less the same still eating and drinking but lethargic, they say low pottassium will do that, going to stop on the way to buy a magnifier for the syringe. Cross fingers and paws

12. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

So glad to hear Simke will be coming home! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

Crossing fingers, toes and 3 sets of paws for Simke. Let us know how things are going once you are back home.

13. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Low potassium WILL cause Simke to be lethargic - it takes potassium to 'move' each muscle, even just to tense up a muscle. When potassium is low, the muscles don't have enough 'energy' to move as quickly as 'normal'. When his potassium stabilizes, you'll see more movement. Low potassium makes a muscle feel like it's just done a lot of exercising to the point of exhaustion. My hubby has a condition that causes him to loose potassium quickly - when he's low, he says he feels like he's 'run a marathon' and he's not done more than walk 10-15 feet.

BIG HUG!

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Lyresa is right on target. Potassium is needed to keep the nervous system firing the muscles. A potassium supplement isn't going to be an overnight miracle. As long as you see consistent improvement, you'll know you're on the right track.

One additional thought... If you're not sure that you're giving a shot correctly, if you include the city/state (etc.) -- just not your actual address) in your subject line and ask for help with shooting, there may be someone who lives in your area who can lend a hand.

15. pteacher

pteacher Member

I know what you mean about the amount charged by vets. I've already spent more than I ever thought I would on this kitty, as well as, kitties in the past. All my cats have been rescue kitties, so no papers, just love. I don't know where I may have to draw the line, but we aren't wealthy people and can not go into debt with medical bills to the vet. I am hoping Rocky (and your Simke) will be better soon!
    Glad you don't have to give fluids. I've been there and it isn't fun. :shock:

16. I hope everything is ok with your baby. I recently had my Scratchie in the ER hospital as well. His was different problems but I still understand your fear and being scared. With the IV fluids they gave, then making sure that he ate a lot and drank water I am happy to report he is doing well. I know it's very scary but you will be fine.

Helping our fur babies through this is difficult but it does get better. Just keep thinking positive thoughts and let us know how Simke is doing. There's a lot of support and knowledge here on this site, most of all there is love and reassurance. Don't be hard on yourself or blame yourself. If they are letting him come home, then things are good - if they weren't they would keep your baby longer.

Jo

17. Simke

Simke Member

They wanted him to stay longer,but I chose to bring him home. Hopefully I can help him as much here though,

18. Lisa & Leo

Lisa & Leo Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that Simke is in the hospital and the expense is so high. Ask them to break down the bill so you see where the high $$ items are. My vet will work with me to make decisions that could help the dollar amount some, in some situations. I wish I'd gotten pet insurance right after Leo got his first clean bill of health @-)

For Lantus (and perhaps other insulins), don't squirt the extra insulin back into the bottle. You would still pull in extra so you can fine-tune the dose after you remove the needle, but just let the extra insulin roll off the needle or flick it off until you get to the right dose. Apparently there is something about Lantus where the lubricant in the syringe can affect the insulin. We use such small doses anyway that "wasting" a couple drops is worth not messing up the entire bottle/pen. If you are using a pen, this is harder since it wants to pull back on the syringe from the negative pressure anyway! Good luck!

19. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you have your baby at home now. Probably feels more comfortable there. Hoping that Simke continues to get better every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.