At what numbers should I not shoot insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chicklet's mom, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chicklet's mom

Chicklet's mom Member

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get educated about insulin prior to having to inject it. So the vet I saw stated that I should not get hung up on numbers. This set off many alarm bells and red flags. I am now bringing my fur baby for a second opinion.

At what BG range should I not shoot insulin? What numbers would it be unsafe not to shoot? The vet stated that I would have to give the same dose for a week and I could not make any changes to it. This does not make sense to me because what if her BG is lower than usual due to her low food intake.

LM

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Without a lot fo data how a specific cat responds to insulin the general rule is no shot if preshot BG is less than 200. With data it can be substantially lower. I frequently shoot with a preshot BG less than 100.

3. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

I'm far from experienced but I believe it depends on what type of insulin your using. Like Larry said I've shot below 100 , I'm not saying to do that just what I've done, Hopefully our more experienced folks can help you out.

4. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Hi Chicklet's mom and welcome to FDMB. Sounds like you are already home testing...that is great. It is best to test before each shot and to get some mid-cycle (nadir) tests too so you can tell how well the insulin is working. Would you like to set up a spreadsheet so you can record all your tests? It would be very helpful to you so you can spot the trends and patterns and provide a history of data to your vet. What kind of insulin are you using? Here is some info on SS.

Spreadsheets: Our spreadsheet instructions are here. If you look at the signatures of the members here, you will see a link to their kitty’s spreadsheets. We keep track of all our tests. This is basically a place to collect data and help you to determine patterns, doses, etc. It also aids those that may be helping you to better understand your kitty. To further my knowledge on diabetes, I would make it a habit to read other kitty’s postings and spreadsheets. Even though they are all different and will be different than your kitty, it was still invaluable information.

5. Chicklet's mom

Chicklet's mom Member

I would be interested in the spread sheet. I will take a peek at the instructions.

LM and Chicklet

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you have any trouble, just let us know....others can set it up for you and then transfer it to your ownership

7. Chicklet's mom

Chicklet's mom Member

Thanks for your help. Always appreciated. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.