At which BG reading do I need to be alarmed?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by GA Carol & Dante, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

Whew, I had to take a break last night...

Sienne and Bobbie; Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! Just tell me when I need to hit the brakes and not be so syringe-happy in shooting Dante!!

Sienne, I revised my signature to reflect the SLGS, as sometimes I am too focused on my online studies at night and forget to test Dante. I would like to do TR, but am not consistent enough at night. Perhaps I should set an alarm on my phone...

Yes, I have been shooting .1 for 3 cycles now, and it seems to be working(!) as Dante's amps today =76. Question, After reading TR and SLGS, it mentions readings into the 20's and 30's, when Dante was first diagnosed several years ago, 3 days later, he was over-dosed (due to incorrect measuring instructions) and his BG at the ER was 21. The ER doc was shocked and scared the living daylights(!!) out of me. I was then instructed to bring him in when BG=<50. On this forum, 50 doesn't seem to be an alarming number ?! - at what point should I be alarmed? Hah, previously, I was alarmed at 100, now, thanks to Bobbie, I am fine with 64, amazing! Thank you for your guidance!

@Bobbie And Bubba @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Nan & Amber

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Below 50 on a human meter and below 68 on a pet meter is time for concern requiring frequent monitoring to make sure the #s don't continue to drop.

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

When using a human meter, the take action number is 50. That is the point you would start to steer him upwards. But, consider where the 50 is in the cycle as to what carb % you would use to steer. For instance, if the 50 is at his nadir and he is only going to start rising from there, you might try just a tsp or 2 or his regular LC food and retest in 30 minutes. If he is holding or went up a bit, test again in 30 minutes to makes sure he is staying above 50 without any food influence.

Now, if that 50 was at +2 - +5 ish he would have a while left in the cycle and could possibly go lower. Using a tsp HC at that point would be a better choice to get him up to maintain for the rest of the cycle. It's a real experimental thing with each cat as ECID with the way they react to carbs and how fast. I always put the carb % of the food I use to steer right in the cell with the number so I know what that carb % did in terms of raising him and how much it raised him for next time.

If in doubt, post for help. Someone will guide you. He is looking so darn good, Carol!

4. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

Gotcha, thank you for your prompt response!

Aha, so he doesn't go to the ER at 50, it just means take action, got it! That is why I was so afraid to shoot low!

Got it, and this is why frequent testing is so important. This now makes a lot of sense to me, and 50 isn't a drop-dead, panic number, gotcha'! I have been keeping a digital notebook from all the info here, so I will highlight this one and keep it at the top of the page, THANK YOU BOTH!!!! , Ugh, have to go to work, have a great day, y'all!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Other than a couple of times when you missed testing at night, you do test enough to use TR. It is, however, your call.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  6. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

Really??!!!! ok, that sounds exciting and scary for me, yes, it is more stringent than SLGS, so as if I haven't been bothering you all enough as it is, I may be pestering you more, as I guarantee I will have questions! I will change the planning to TR...if too stringent, I can always go back to SLGS! Perhaps I should alert Bobbie as well, as she has been so patient with me and I will be asking her for more patience, ugh! Thank you Sienne! @Bobbie And Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.