Ate Salmon Now Panting!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dusty Bones, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Hello Everyone,
    Not the best way to start the new year but I gave Dusty a bit, ok a small chunk, of fully cooked salmon with no seasoning and then I noticed him panting and having trouble breathing shortly after.. I called my vet but of course no answer today on New Years. He’s eaten it before with no issues but this time it was from Costco. I decided to force some butter in him since he loves it, thinking dairy is good for poisoning. Well it appears to have worked, his panting eased and now he’s cleaning all the butter from his face. I think the worst is over. What do you all think happened? He normally eats a seafood Weruva with no issues. Could they have added something to the salmon? Scared the *hi* out of me!

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Could Dusty have wolfed down a piece that was too big? Whatever happened, I'm glad that you both survived the experience.

There is nothing on the Costco recall list. You could call and ask if there were other ingredients.

3. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

No not a big chunk, I broke it brown for him so it was just a mush of salmon. I’ve heard stores or producers add iodine or something to preserve fish. Wonder if it had too much. I feel ok after eating it but I know cats are more sensitive to many things.

4. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Farm raised or wild?! If farm raised maybe there was something fed to them that could have caused a secondary reaction in Dusty. Cats typically pant with stress, cardiac issues and GI issues. Or Maybe the fish irritated his stomach which could have caused acid reflux/ agita and hence the panting. The butter may have settled his stomach thereby relieving the GI distress and panting. Too many scenarios that can be considered but glad he is doing better!!

Dusty Bones likes this.
  5. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Yes it could have been anything. The panting was more like choking though, I think he was having a anaphylactic attack. I believe the salmon was farm raised. He ate dinner and breakfast as usual so everything is back to normal. No more salmon for my kitties... maybe me either!

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I wonder if there was a little tiny bone (piece of a pinbone?) in the piece he got?

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same as Nan. One of those tiny wee bones could have got lodged in his throat and he was trying to clear it. It definitely wasn't anaphylactic shock or Dusty wouldn't be here today. The butter could have "greased" his throat enough to cause the wee bone to pass on down his esophagus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.