Atlas Update 6/20

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Beth & Atlas, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Well, we're continuing our struggles with Atlas. God Bless him he is a good little patient.

We've been working with Humilin N and testing, trying to find the wonderful idea of "regulation." We've worked our way back up to 6 units BID and here is what is going on.

Blood Glucose Curve
    Amps 358
    Food 439
    +4 138
    +6 186
    +8 287

Not the greatest numbers, but finally better than what we were getting. It looks like I have some room to push those numbers a little lower, but I am not raising the dose just yet. We will probably see the vet in several weeks and I hope to have a case to get a longer acting insulin and hopefully we get the grant for Atlas's care.

Atlas has gone from an initial weight of 6lbs. to now 11lbs. Last night I had to get him off the table and out of Mudd's food. ohmygod_smile She is a nibbler and dry food fundie, so she gets EVO dry. Silly girl won't even do tuna fish or tuna water. Canned nothin' for her. So she is learning there is a meal time and if she doesn't eat....she doesn't get fed. Poor thing she is losing weight under these circumstances.

He is eating like a fiend! He had gotten into the Civvie food...evo and I wasn't going to fret over it....

but now he has diarrhea. We're using Bactiquin, Kaolin/Pectin, and the vet gave us metronidazole. Poor little guy you can here is tummy grumbling, he is gassy, and is even burping ...big guy type burps too! At first I thought something was wrong, wrong...then realized he burped like teenage boys do when competing for the biggest, loudest burp! The vet said with Atlas' still delicate condition changing foods isn't wise. Well, I wasn't trying to change foods yet...Atlas is just trying to eat everything! I have even caught him nosing around the garbage can! :eek: So who really knows what dietary indiscretion he has had.

We've been doing the metro since Thursday morning and it seems to have settled some of this stuff down...we're still very loose in the box. :-|

It is interesting that once the insulin kicks in...he seems to stop with the food issue. So I have been trying to feed him only half his allotment, then at onset (+2) offer him the rest. Otherwise he is gorging himself. It also seems to keep him out of everybody else's foods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.