Atopica and Blood Glucose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ramon's mom, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

My diabetic cat Ramon has unusual curves (nadir within +1 to +3) and highs in the yellow and most lows in the blues. He is on daily Atopica for pemphigus. I had difficulty getting him down even to the blues while on Lantus for 5 months. Now on Prozinc he's staying in the yellows and blues with that weird curve (maybe bouncing?). I am wondering if the Atopica is just going to cause him to have somewhat higher BG. Has anyone else been using Atopica or cyclosporine on their diabetic cat and found it makes regulating the BG difficult?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I can't advise on the Atopica issue but his numbers at the 1 u dose are quite good - and that's with an AlphaTrak meter! They read higher than the human meters we use here. BTW - I suggest you add the meter type to your signature text. We look for that info there.

I would have given 1 u last night on that PS. Something to try next time. That's how we learns where the dosing boundaries are but do it on a day you can monitor. I'd stick to 1 u for another few cycles. :)

3. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

I didn't see your comment in time. I gave him a 0.6 dose this morning because I was taking him to the groomer and leaving him with them for 4 hours. So I couldn't check on him for hypo symptoms. As it turned out he must have been stressed (though he didn't appear that way. The groomer said he was very "chill") but his BG reading when I got him home was 354. I am now getting ready to test for shooting the PMPS. Its good to know that you consider his numbers (up until that latest one) good. I've been assuming I want to get him into the low blues and high green. I am also bummed that he doesn't maintain lower numbers when away from home. I'd like to go away for 5 days and have no clue how to manage that with him.

4. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

I just checked his PMPS reading and it is 100 ! Down from 354 after 4 hours of being back home and a little food even. I guess I will retest in an hour and see, but it would have to either be wrong or swing way up to require insulin, I think.

5. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

1 hour later and he is dropping. Tested 93 on Insulix strip. I immediately retested with an Alpha Trak strip and it was 98.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.