Atopica and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA), Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA)

Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA) Member

Hello all! I don't know if I still know people on this board since it's been a while since I last posted about my dear Pelusa (GA).

I am wondering if someone has experience with Atopica. There is not much information on the use of Atopica in cats and about no information on the possibility of using Atopica and being on an insulin treatment at the same time.

One of my friend's cat is on that drug but the cat seems now to be diabetic. She took the cat for a vet visit tonight and complete blood tests will be run. To make a long story short, she already hometests the cat as he was on steroids before being on Atopica. She avoided insulin while the cat was on steroids by changing its diet. The cat now tests pretty high (270-370 if I calculate right - metric number x18, no?) All dry food was removed again a few days ago but he's not eating well (the reason why she thought something was wrong and out of nowhere she decided to test him). The cat is really overweighted, due to the use of Atopica. He gained several pounds (he's 23 pounds now) but doesn't eat in excess. It's really a side-effect of the drug.

The vet will call the company selling the Atopica as he has no idea if insulin can be used or not. Of course, before starting insulin (if it is possible while taking the other drug), she will try to feed different foods in several small meals and see if something changes but we better be prepared.

Please let me know if anybody has experience with Atopica and insulin. Where else should I start my enquiries other than this board where I got the best support and advice with my sweet Pelusa...

Thank you!

I forgot to mention that the Atopica treatment is experimental but is giving good results.

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

3. Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA)

Thank you for your answer. I didn't think of doing an interaction search...! :) And yes, Atopica is cyclosporine. They are using that drug as they tried everything else and that is the only drug having an effect on the cat's disease (and I just can't remember the name of it now...).

And there is really little information on the use of Atopica in cats (more info for dogs).

But thanks again for the info! I really appreciate it! :)

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

If cyclosporin is being used to treat something resulting from allergies, such as a skin condition called eosinophilic granuloma, they should consider finding the source of the allergy and remove it from the cat's environment. This may not be practical if it is something such as carpeting. Gandalf suffered from EG up to about the age of 9 and for those years I lived in an apartment & he was treated with Depo medrol steroid, which should be avoided in cats at all costs.

Once I moved to our house in the country, his EG disappeared in less than a year.

Here is a video about cyclosporin. http://www.navc.com/video/cyclosporine-use-feline-skin-disease-–-dr-wayne-rosenkrantz

Diabetes can be treated concurrently with use of other drugs, but doses and frequency of doses may need to be adjusted, especially if the drug is a steroid such as prednisolone.

5. Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA)

Thank you Vicky. I think that eosinophilic granuloma is the illness. He gets it in the mouth and lips and on the tummy. I will confirm later when I'm able to speak to my friend. The videos aren't working.

Steroids are not being considered anymore as he was not responding well to them (and even less now if the cat appears to really be diabetic). Allergy tests and biopsies were ran as well as food tests over several months (different hypoallergenic food that the cat didn't like at all, then he was on raw horse meat only for several weeks) and no improvement showed. Then they started the Atopica (cyclosporine). There are no carpets in the house and my friend even changed all her cleaning products and detergents.

Thanks again for the replies. I really appreciate it.

6. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Nathalie!!!!

I don't have any experience with that drug, but I wanted to say hello. :YMHUG:

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Nathalie. I hope you are doing well.

The video works if you copy and paste this into the URL address field of a new web page and delete the and the

http://www.navc.com/video/cyclosporine- ... n-disease-–-dr-wayne-rosenkrantz

ETA: Now, I can't get it to work...but it worked twice when I tried. I guess you'll have to play around with it.

ETA again: Do a Google Search on video cyclosporine dr wayne rosenkrantz and it will come up.

8. Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA)

Hello Libby and Dyana! Hope you are doing well! It's been such a long time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.