Attack of the cheescake - How long will numbers spike?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by heldentenor2b, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heldentenor2b

heldentenor2b New Member

My Boo attacked the cheese cake tray during Thanksgiving and her numbers spiked over 400 late last night and today (tested right before dinner) despite the fact that she was controlled the last 24 hours. I did just put her on a full raw diet a few days ago (see my other post), so I'm surprised that this evening before dinner her numbers were so high. Is it still because she consumed a bunch of sugar yesterday? How long should I expect this to last?

For the record, I'm feeding her 4-5oz of Rad Cat Chicken or Turkey every 12 hours and she getting 4 units twice a day.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello,

Well, I've never seen the 'cheesecake' question before! :shock:

How much do you think she consumed? A few licks or a whole slice????

The only similar experience I've had to your 'cheesecake accident' is when Bertie got at the fish food bin (for the Koi in the pond). That contains a lot of carbs and his BG was high for a day and then dropped back to normal.

Oh, just thought of something else. Maybe the cheesecake is actually a bit of a 'red herring' and not the culprit at all.... It may be that the switch to raw food (and possible lower BGs) means that your cat doesn't need the full 4 units of Lantus...? Maybe she dropped low and then rebounded...? Could that be possible? Are you getting mid-cycle tests...?

Note: 'Rebound' can happen when the cat's BG drops either too low or too fast (or both) for the cat's comfort. The liver wants to keep the body safe and protect it from hypoglycemia and so it dumps glucose into the blood stream, and also glucagon which keeps the blood glucose high for a time (temporary insulin resistance).

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check those nadir values! That should help you determine if the issue is going too low, or still recovering from cheesecake. Give the latter possibility about 3 days to settle down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.