Attempted home testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris10mo, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

This is NOT going to work. I can not hold a cat and prick a cat and get cat to sit still and test blood. I tried. I can't do it. Calley was not cooperative at all. I tested myself....got a 100 reading so I know I am doing the machine right...but could not get Calley's ear to bleed. I massaged it before and during and after I pricked her and still it did not work.

I'm so fed up. I feel like I am failing this cat. :(

Kristin and one angry Calley with two pricked ears and nothing to show for the attempt.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

1) Breathe! It can take some practice.

2) Check my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools. These are some ways to asses your cat which supplement blood glucose testing. Urine ketone and glucose testing will let you know what was happening since the previous void. Use these while you work on home testing.

3) if you must.get.blood, aim for the vein and be prepared to blot as it may bleed profusely.

4) sometimes, it may be necessary to burrito wrap your cat in a large towel or blanket for restraint.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Bribes. You might want to try some bribes, like having a small pile of freeze dried chicken treats in front of Calley while you are trying to test.

Also, practice on an orange or apple, just try to get the steps down that you need to do and gain confidence. Yes, it does not always work at first. It takes time to get good at home testing. It takes time for the cat's ears to learn to bleed. Be patient, it will come.

4. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

It will get better! The first few times I tried to prick Skoots it just didn't go well, I ended up in tears for 30 minutes...I just couldn't get those darn ears to bleed.

After my mini meltdown and some wonderful words of encouragement from many of the people on here, I tried again the next day and we have been flying ever since....You can take a look at Skooter's spreadsheet....You WILL get the hang of it....

I think it was actually Deb who told me of the three strikes rule...if you can't get it in three attempts....walk away and let both of you calm down and then try a little bit later....

I found it helped to just snuggle with Skooter for a while before I tried as it helped calm him and me down....

5. LydetteSimmie (Iceman)

LydetteSimmie (Iceman) Member

Hi there, just give yourself time to relax, and think. Sometimes we feel too much for our 'kids'...we put ourselves in 'their' shoes, or paws, when in fact, our shoes and paws are very different. I bet you are thinking that you are causing terrible pain. You are not. The way they feel and accept poking is very different from us. I know what it is I speak but that doesn't make it any less difficult for you whom I can tell is an incredibly kind person.

I am also just getting used to testing Simmie. Every time I jab my baby with that lancet I feel for him. But then I realize all he cares about is the snack he will get, or the ice cubes he loves so much (previous post). What I have found, after caring for many ill kids in my lifetime is that too much hesitation in the actual procedure is what can create a problem. Deep breathing before and after is really important but hey, once you gotta poke, ya gotta poke. Once ya gotta give the shot, ya gotta give the shot. One of the worst issues for me, when I was learning to care for Moon with his diabetes 20 plus years ago, was when I had to start giving another one of my kids Ringers. I had to set up the IV in my kitchen and provide him with fluids twice a day. I did not think I could ever do it...never. Not a chance in hell. But I did. I closed my eyes, breathed, opened my eyes, held on to my sweet boy Merlin, and just got to it. Cause I know he counted on mom to do what it would take. Cry? Yeah. Got easier. Yeah.

You are on this message board so you know where you can find support. You also need to realize you have the support in your own heart. Your baby is counting on you and you sound like a person who will take care of your baby. You are not alone. It's all about transitions. Keep posting. Do not hesitate. Those who hesitate are lost...I think someone a lot smarter than me said that...or something like that. Hugs, Lydette and Simmie

6. jane and stewey

jane and stewey Member

It can be done and you can do it. Animals, cats in particular, don't like to be restrained. Find a small baby sock and fill it with rice and tie it off. Heat this in a microwave( it takes about 15-20 seconds) and place it on the ear to dilate the capillaries for increased bleeding when pricked. It will only take about 30 seconds (on the ear) to achieve results. After you prick and get the blood sample, compress the area an additional 30 seconds and then rub a tiny bit of vaseline over the area. It reduces soreness and keeps the ear supple. My Stewey really fought when I tried to restrain her. Now I have everything set up, she hears the microwave, and knows its time for the thing she has to due before she can eat!!!It's done in seconds and all is well with the world. While I am warming the ear, I pet and praise her. What seemed like torture is simple and fast. Every animal is different and responds to certain things better than other. You'll find your niche...give it a try. Good luck. Jane and Stewey

7. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

Oh my gosh Jane...I tried the warm rice in the sock thing. Boy did it really help. First thing Calley relaxed and about passed out from bliss in my arms. Then I just did a quick poke and the ear bled easily. So much better than poking her several times and fighting the ear to bleed. THANK YOU.

It worked.

However...the number was 62 just four hours after giving her 1 unit insulin. :shock:

8. Deb & Wink

Hope you were able to test some more after getting that 62 1 hour after insulin.

9. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

I couldn't test again until 7pm...and the number was 84. I didn't give insulin tonight.

I'm unsure what to tell the pet sitter....to give 1/2 unit twice daily or to just forget the insulin all together and just give lots of wet food.??

10. Deb & Wink

How long are you going to be gone on vacation?

11. Geneva

Geneva Member

Awww, this made me smile. :D Happy for you, Kris! And Calley too!

12. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

I'll be gone for 10 days. Would a 1/2 unit/once per day be better than no insulin?

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

In my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools are a number of assessments that can be made to evaluate a cat's health. In particular, amount of water drunk, appetite, and urination may be used to identify increased diabetic symptoms. They can be other things too, but in the absence of blood testing, they are better than nothing.

Start now measuring water and food consumption, as well as gauging the size of pee balls in the litterbox. This will be baseline data for your pet sitter to use in deciding to give a shot or not. If the sitter won't test, those will be the only clues. Also, if the cat's breath should smell fruity or like nail polish remove, she should take him to the vet.

Could the sitter take him in every few days to get him checked?

14. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

Calley's drinking and peeing is greatly reduced. She pees maybe twice a day now and her poos are formed and firm.

She is still wanting to eat a lot though and though she is cleaning her fur a bit...she still is unkempt.

Calley is not sleeping by the waterbowl 24/7 like she was either.

She got 1 unit insulin this morning though I don't think she needed it. I didn't give her any tonight. I will test her again tomorrow morning.

My pet sitter can come and give shots/feed Calley but wont' be testing BG or really much more. I have written out instruction for her to give .5 dose/2x daily....but I'm thinking that I'm going to just not have her do that.

I have two sitters coming...one just to give Calley her shot(she has a diabetic at herself and knows how to give shots, but she does not test her cat). My second sitter is coming to care for my dog and my second cat. So if I decide to not have the sitter give Calley any insulin...then she won't be coming at all.

Just not sure what to do and I'm running out of time. I leave early Sunday morning.

15. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Kristen,

The numbers you got in both those tests are beautiful normal numbers.
    Normal numbers are approximately (depending on the source of the information) 47 - 130 (2.6 - 7.2). Some cats may be a little lower, some a smidge higher.

It may be that Calley needs a dose reduction (and there is a chance that she may not need the insulin at all...)

It's fantastic that you're learning to test. And I do strongly recommend that you test Calley prior to giving insulin again.
    We suggest that folks new to diabetes give NO insulin if the blood glucose prior to the shot is below 200 (11).

What are you feeding Calley? Is she on low carb wet food now?

Eliz

16. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

Hi Kristen,

well done on the testing.

Even with the sock, I still usually have to give Angel's ear a few pokes, luckily he is very forgiving. I'm using the lancet device and when he goes for his trial assessment on Monday I'm going to try to get them to show me how to freehand. Is there any way you can get your petsitter round and teach her how to home test? And maybe get her to sign up for this board in case she needs support.

x

17. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

I freehand the lancet as I know the lancet device would scare Calley as it does me everytime I practice on myself. :(

My pet sitter is in no way going to test Calley....that is just not her thing. :(....wasn't my thing until five days ago. lol

I got up this morning a bit later than usual at 9am, two hours past when I usually test/feed Calley. Her number just now was 330 before food and 24 hrs past her last insulin shot that was 1 unit.

I gave her a .5 unit just now since it was so high-she had not eaten since 10:30pm last night.

I'm thinking that a .5 dose/2x daily or maybe just one unit once daily will be needed while I'm gone. I'm afraid to go and have Calley not get any insulin for ten days. The 2nd pet sitter is coming four times a day and can feed Calley four meals of wet food.

Will four meals of wet food be enough to keep Calley's sugars low........or do I have her get very low dose of insulin?

18. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

hi Kristen,

I have no idea how to advise you apart from trying to persuade your petsitter, maybe get her over before you leave and explain how desperately important it is. I'm not experienced enough to suggest what to do about shooting.
    If you had money to spare I'd suggest getting a vet nurse to do the testing and shots. Wish I could be more help xx

19. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

Yeah I know it is important. If I had been home testing, Calley wouldn't have gone hypo on me on 7/7/14 as I wouldn't have given her insulin...but you live and learn. :( Thankfully she survived my stupidity.

I tried all the local vets to get techs to come and do shots for me, but couldn't find anyone. I called all the petsitters I could find in the area and none will do testing or shots...its against their insurance policies. So I am left with a neighbor that just happens to have a diabetic cat and knows how to do shots. That is better than teaching the teenage pet sitter to do shots.

Not sure what I'm going to do....I just hope whatever I decide is the right thing and I have a cat alive when I get home. I will be worried about it the whole trip. :(

20. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

Kristen, maybe start a new thread with a 911 and hopefully someone with more experience will advise you. Is your neighbour absolutely, positively refusing? Have you told her Callie's life may depend on it?
    I hope you can get this sorted x

21. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What about a teenaged pet-sitter interested in veterinary science learning how to test for experience? Then you have someone to test and someone to shoot.

Check w/ local church youth groups, Boy/Girl Scouts, Future Farmers of America, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.