Attempting to test for Ketones

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Terri & Tananda, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terri & Tananda

Terri & Tananda Member

Hi Everyone,

I've been attempting to test Tananda for Ketones, however she is slightly uncooperative. I purchased strips at Wal-Mart, have a long handled spoon just for the occasion and have made several attepts to obtain a urine sample.

The problem: Tandy does not like company in the bathroom, she jumps out of the litter box whenever I approach.
    The solution: I wait until she has just finished, and then immediately dip the stick into the newly wet litter. The readings I get are in the negative.
    The question: How accurate are these results? Is the Ph in the urine being neutralized by the baking soda in litter to quickly to provide accurate test results? Does Ph have anything to do with Ketones? If so, does anyone have a suggestion that will assist in obtaining a urine sample? I use BJ's store brand hard clumping litter.

Thanks in advance.
    Terri

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Replace the litter with a non-absorbant material such as fish tank gravel or decorative craft pebbles/stones. You don't need a deep layer, just enough so your cat can feel it and scratch around. After your cat uses the box, tip the box to collect the pee into a corner and dip the test strip into that. Remove gravel/pebbles if needed so you can fully dip the test strip into the pee.

3. Terri & Tananda

Terri & Tananda Member

Thanks Squeem, I'll give that a shot.

Terri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.