Attn: if you feed Friskies pates

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Today, when feeding the cats, I found a piece of something black and stretchy in the 12 oz can of Turkey and Giblets as I was mixing it up and putting it into bowls. It may be an inert item, however it did not appear to be any kind of meat product. I saved and bagged it, then called Friskies.

They will want, if possible, the bar code on the can, the batch code on the bottom of the can, and the location where you bought it. If you have bagged a specimen, they will send you a prepaid mailer to send it to them. You'll need to provide your name and address for that, or if you wish to receive coupons from them.

Their phone number is: 1-800-778-8864 Friskies (a division of Nestle/Purina)

For those not checking the Relaxed Lantus forum, Mel (Momma of Muse) had all of her cats become ill on a batch of Friskies pates and her vet reported seeing others.

2. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Damn, I feed the outside cats Friskies. I think I have some Turkey and Giblets too. I will have to check it.

Terri

3. Sarah/Nancy

Sarah/Nancy Member

I live in Va one of my cats was sick last week stopped eating and was vomiting a little did not have a bm for about a week took to vet she gave her an antibotic took about a week for her to get back to normal. I use Friskies pates also my other cat was fine though. I have not seen anything unsually in them though.

4. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

It was a Friskie's Salmon pate that caused Jenks to have an episode of vomiting, two days worth of diarrhea, and near total inappetance recently.

I'm not sure if the problem resulted from the food itself or that it was purchased from Petsmart. With food purchased from Petsmart, I've noticed an increasing occurrence of the cats sniffing it and immediately walking away, as if something is wrong with it. I have yet to observe this behavior with food purchased from surrounding grocery stores.

In particular, I've noticed that the gravy component of the pates is congealed in the Petsmart cans while it remains fluid in those from the grocery stores. It's entirely possible that the way in which Petsmart ships and/or stores their food is somehow having a negative effect on the food in the can. I have no real evidence to support it other than my own experiences, but with this latest can of salmon coming from Petsmart, I'm compelled to shift my food purchases to the grocery store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.