'Audrey' - New Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Audrey's Mom, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audrey's Mom

Audrey's Mom Member

Our lovely one Audrey has just been diagnosed with feline diabetes.

She normally weighed around 11.6 lbs. and is a wonderfully content indoor spayed cat with no previous health issues. It was the excessive water consumption, more than usual, ravenous quest for more food, and the noticeable rapid weight loss which led to a visit to the vet this past week, where she weighed in at 8.6 lbs. Her glucose at the time of diagnostic testing was;

GLU = 22.78 mmol/L Reference Range - 3.95 - 8.84

The diagnosis is indeed overwhelming, so I am glad to have found these forums (with links to additional credible information). I have never held a syringe in my life, so that in itself is a learning curve. Speaking of curves, I have not purchased a Glucose Meter as yet, but it's on my list to head out and pick one up as soon as possible. The recommendations on the Wal-Mart ReliOn brand is very helpful. I also have a family member that works at a major pharmacy chain, so I'll check their options as well. The vet would like a re-check in the early new year to do a blood glucose curve. I have always been a 100% loving pet owner and will do anything for our beloved pets, but I'm definitely not independently wealthy. I'd best learn how to take glucose levels and chart them.

Since Audrey was always a wet pouch/gravy licker lover, it was recommended to start out with the Purina DM Savoury Selects, so I've brought home about 12 cans from the vet. I am glad to know just from my quick reads of this forum this morning, that there are definitely same or better alternatives with some particular, regular brands of cat food.

We also have a beautiful 16 year old Shih-Tzu doggie whom has always been on a very healthy 'human' diet of lean chicken, beef, fish, sweet potatoes, veggies, etc. Since the dog's appetite is becoming less consistent in her golden years, it seems if I turn my back for a few seconds, Audrey is quickly cleaning up the dog's leftovers, as I feed them both at the same time. 'Aud' has been a quite a little piggy her entire life, but I've never seen a cat eat this fast with my turned back, as if she knows I will grab the dog's plate and remove it, so she's thinking "Hurry, hurry, hurry... Get this eaten!". In hindsight guess that situation may not have been favourable for Audrey.

A concern, as with others, is the timing of the 12 hour shots of Levemir. I'm the only one administering them for now (unfortunately, my spouse is away a lot and doesn't quite take to Audrey like I do). I have a fairly flexible work schedule and have chosen 8:00 a.m and 8:00 p.m., but there are times I have meetings at 8:30 a.m. and evening work until 9:00 p.m., so I really have to figure this all out. I'm also stressing right now, as we have a surprise, last minute and unplanned upcoming overseas trip very soon, and the boarding kennel (vet owned) is completely booked up. This means my daughter will come over to feed and administer the shots for Audrey, and her schedule is all over the place with different shifts. It's a little un-nerving thinking about how this will all fall into place.

For now, I'm just introducing us and I'm thankful for all the knowledge here. I haven't had a whole lot of spare time to delve deep into the boards as yet, but I have been pleased so far with what I've learned already. I plan to read a whole lot more after somewhat of a hectic weekend.

Cheers.
    AM

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome extra sweet Audrey and Audrey's MamaBean!

Meter - A lot of people use the Walmart 'ReliOn' brand either Confirm or Micro meter. It takes a small drop of blood compared to others which is important when beginning testing. There are other 'ReliOn' brands but those take the standard larger drop.

We all arrived here feeling the same 'overwhelmed', others took our hands, gave us a hug and got our feet under us. We'll help you figure out the schedule and suggestions on how to handle your daughter's schedule after you get the basics down - sound like a deal?

Testing and shoot aren't hard, just different. The first thing to recognize is that insulin is a hormone rather than a 'chemical' medicine - things like food, exercise, stress...can affect the blood glucose numbers so don't let it get you discouraged!

BIG HUGS!

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

One thing that hangs up many folks is that glucometers - human OR pet - are not intended to be precise lab equivalent tests. They are intended to give you an idea of trends and warning for low numbers. We suggest getting a meter and sticking with it. See my signature link Glucometer Notes for more details and some reference numbers.

4. Audrey's Mom

Audrey's Mom Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's a comforting feeling to know that one is not alone and guidance is so kindly provided here from experienced cat owners. I now have some time this week to read, read and read more on this website.

Audrey hasn't even noticed the shots. She gets so excited for her food, she doesn't flinch at all. I gave my daughter a tutorial yesterday on administering the shots as was taught to me from the vet clinic and she's a good study, as she works with syringes and such and knows the properties of insulin from her pharmacy work. She'd have Audrey 24-7 when we go away soon if it weren't for her lovable, but goofy young boxer who seems obsessed with this weird thing called a cat. :?

I know I will more than likely have more questions and value the advice and search function here!

5. terriy

terriy Member

Welcome!!
    Lots of experience hear on the board! You have found the right place to be!!

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome!

It is definitely overwhelming at first. Every one of us felt that way at first, and everyone who answers your post is paying it forward for help they received when they were new and scared. I found it useful to keep a notebook; i printed off the articles and info I found so that I could go back and read and reread it.

This thread has lots of links to tips, advice, videos etc on home testing.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287

Keep reading and asking questions. You can do this - we'll help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.