Augmentin advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kitcat, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitcat

kitcat Member

I have a sugar cat with a long history of issues coming back in urine. I was hopeful that the change in insulins would help overcome the root cause of this but she continues with recurrence. My assumption is that the meds in the past have done enough to get her a clean urinalysis but perhaps not really getting all the bacteria clear. SO, this time we are trying to push thru with Augmentin (combo med that includes clavomox even tho we've never been able to keep it in her very long - usually a few days then she won't tolerate - vomit, quit eating, etc.). But, this time the prior meds which we could use are no longer valid - her strain of ecoli/enterococcus (spelling biffed, I know) is resistant and Augmentin is one that will nail it. Treatment period could stretch 6 weeks.

Any advice or materials to read on how to keep it in her? The first dose resulted in 5.5 hours of containment. Then, she started hurling. My plan is to be sure she has eaten a good amount then try again for the next dose. I will consult with the vet obviously but reduction of the dosage may be needed to keep it in her long enough to work. She is currently on 0.6 every 12 hours. Weight: 9.5 pounds

Thanks for any real life experience with this one.

KitCat

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Augumentum and Clavamox are the same drug. Augumentum is the generic name while Calavamox is the animal trade name.
    http://animalhealth.pfizer.com/sites/pa ... vamox.aspx
    http://www.drugs.com/augmentin.html

You say you are giving 0.6 every 12 hours. 0.6 of what? The prescribing information for Clavamox says:

Cats: The recommended dosage for CLAVAMOX Tablets is 62.5 mg twice a day. The recommended dosage for CLAVAMOX Drops is 62.5 mg (1 mL) twice a day.
    Skin and soft-tissue infections such as abscesses and cellulitis/dermatitis should be treated for 5–7 days or for 48 hours after all symptoms have subsided, not to exceed 30 days. if no response is
    seen after 3 days of treatment, therapy should be discontinued and the case reevaluated.
    Urinary tract infections may require treatment for 10–14 days or longer. The maximum duration of treatment should not exceed 30 day

3. kitcat

kitcat Member

Thanks for your note.

It's 0.6ML on the bottle. Your note says 1.0ML twice daily so the vet has prescribed a smaller than recommended dose, likely due to her known intolerance of clavomox. She ate very little today then nibbled at 5pm. At 6pm, that was redeposited on my living room floor (I have not given her the second dose due to her status today). She is now resting and has had a bit more wet food to eat along with her regular Lantus shot. I'm probably going to hold off until morning to try the second dose of the Augmentin. I need to see if she returns to normal eating.

It may take a lot of patience on this one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.