autofeeders: Shadow is a stubborn little dodo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kim 'n Shadow, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim 'n Shadow

Kim 'n Shadow Well-Known Member

Been searching the site and have read really helpful suggestions about timing and little bowls. A friend gave me little silicone cupcake cups and I use those.They are ideal because they can go from the freezer to the feeder and Shadow loves FF popsicles. But Shadow can't make the connection of noise = eats. I have tried loading the feeder with her favorite treats, still nothing. If I move her physically to the feeder, she is excited to find her treats, but the next time it turns, she'll lay right by it and not get up to investigate. ohmygod_smile

What else can I try to teach her what a cool thing the autofeeder is? It could be so perfect for us if she could figure it out.

2. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

Re: autofeeders: Shadow is a dodo

My charlie took to his auto feeder right away. He's like Pavlov's dogs when it spins, he comes running, drooling practically! I think it took about a week of use before he understood, but we were only spinning it a couple times a day. Maybe if you do it a whole bunch of times, and have Shadow standing right by it to watch it spin and see the food would help. We have had it for years and have never had to replace the batteries even though we set it up to spin a few times a day. I love that he doesn't see us as his only source of food. I didn't know that you could use it with wet food. Everything I've read about wet food is that it's only good at room temperature for like 30 minutes then you have to toss it. My spinner isn't refrigerated or anything, so wouldn't the wet food go bad?

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I leave wet food out for 12 hours with no problems. And those who made wet food popsicles start with frozen food that slowly thaws and is then fresh when the timed feeder offers it.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

My Shadoe was terrified of the sound LOL, but she got used to it pretty quick when the food had to be eaten from the feeder.
    I think when it's frozen, there is no smell so what if you did something like sprinkle forti flora or some other item your Shadow loves, and knows by smell.

No food outside of the feeder and eventually the stomach will help to find the feeder.

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this anywhere, where are you reading it? Is that maybe raw food? We do not freeze our canned wet food and it can end up being in the feeders for over 12 hours and has, on occassion, been in there for close to 24 when we've had to be gone with the pet sitter unavailable. We've never had them get sick from it.

Did you put the timed feeder in the same spot as Shadow was usually fed? Mine didn't have a problem finding the food in there, but they were scared of the feeders at first (they are kind of loud!) Smokey now adores them and I have caught her trying to push Taz away.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

What timed feeder are you using? Some feeders are noisier than others. The PetSafe 2 compartment feeder is really noisy because it makes that constant ticking noise because of the manual timer dial :roll: My cat didn't like the noise at first but he soon got used to it. I later upgraded to the PetSafe 5 compartment one and no more noise :thumbup Ok, so it does make a little mechanical whirr noise as the tray rotates to the next compartment but it's only for a second.

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Yes, the 5 compartment is very quiet, with just a small whir when it turns to the next compartment.
    Shadoe can be sound asleep in the next room and she will come running out to the sound.

8. Kim 'n Shadow

mine is Petsafe 5. I am going to work at only feeding her from the feeder - thnx Gayle. I hate to think my little 4-legged love is going to outsmart me on this. :D BUt I'm very determined because it could be a godsend for us if she can get on board with it.

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Remember: you don't have to use each compartment for just foods .... you can put treats in 2 of the 5, like freeze dried chicken or whatever treats Shadow likes the best.
    They may be a way to get Shadow to use the feeder.

I forgot to mention that I put little glass bowls in each compartment as some cats have issues with plastic against their chins - there was one person who had a cat that seemed to have an allergy and it affected the chin.

Also I had to put the glass bowl just beside the feeder to get her used to being close to the feeder. She really was scared of it in the beginning, but with some incentives, it can be done.

By spacing out the foods, you can manipulate the BG while away. If you have a cat that drops off a cliff at the start of a cycle, then you can put food and set the first 3 slots to turn each hour.
    It's very good to control a kitty who likes to lick the bowl clean but then is hungry for the rest of the day - spaced out forces those gobblers to eat more evenly.

Good luck but I am sure you will have great results.

10. Kim 'n Shadow

So I was going to be very firm about it, only feed from the feeder, but she has resisted tonight and now here we are BG at +3.5 54. totally melting my resolve. I did put a little bowl right next to the feeder and she is laying by it now. I'm gonna continue to work at it but she's gotta eat in the meantime. stubborn little toot.

11. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

Melanie: I have several cat care books that all say that. Also have a bunch of cat fancy mags that say similar things. Good to know that you don't notice any probs, though. My Charlie likes to eat around the clock, hence the autofeeder, and I was concerned that I'd have to change his eating schedule after a switch to wet food. I like the freeze dried chix idea, though. Always fresh and a good snack for those middle of the night spins. I haven't tried those w Charlie yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.