Avoderm food products - anyone using?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kitcat, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitcat

kitcat Member

Greetings! We've been away awhile and I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts to share on these products? My finicky eater seems to like the tuna one.....

2. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

I always had these in the house for my Abby with triaditis. She would almost always start eating again with the crab seafood, mix.

3. kitcat

kitcat Member

Thanks! Any insight/concerns on carb levels for this one? I haven't found a content analysis to know how good or bad this one may be for the diabetic kitty....

4. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

I will have a look for you. I know tuna tends to be lower in carbs. Are you feeding other things besides seafood? Seafood should only makeup under 30% of a ct's diet due to thingslike mercury levels etc.
    here is some info at Dr. Lisa's site on cats and food..

http://www.catinfo.org/

5. Erimess & Sammy (GA)

Erimess & Sammy (GA) Member

If you're looking on Janet's charts, they aren't there. Some day, if I ever get a life again, I'll get around to calling them.

The pate style chicken and beef flavors are on Noreen's charts - they are around 14-15%, but that is dry matter basis. Because fat is more calories and protein/carb less, the carb level for dry matter tends to be higher than the level by calories. My guess would be those are around 10%, give or take, by calories.

The pate styles have oat bran and rice flour in them. The select cuts (which is what the tuna is) is a bit different. The two seafood flavors have a bit of tapioca starch and that's it. I suspect those are lower than the pate style. The select cuts chicken doesn't even have that - it's just chicken, sunflower oil, bit of guar gum, and supplements. No grains, no fruits or veggies even.

I feed the stuff, but I don't have a diabetic anymore. (And hope to never again.) Both cats like the tuna. The one will eat the chicken if I sprinkle some Dinner Party on it, which is worth it to get her to eat something without all the junk.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I know a few people on the old FDMB board feed the Avoderm Natural Select Cuts canned, http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_prod ... cutcan.htm The food is in gravy but it has no effect for some diabetic cats' blood glucose levels. ECID. My cat wouldn't touch the food. I didn't like the strange bright pink color of the chicken variety or the gloppy gravy or the (probably avocado) smell.

7. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Dr. Lisa has Avoderm Select Cuts as a High Quality, Grain-Free Canned Foods on her website. She says: "Avoderm Select Cuts: This high quality product is a complete diet for daily use."

I feed Avoderm Select Cuts Chicken Chunks Kitten/Adult Cat Food, 3 oz cans. My guys don't like the seafood flavors. Only the Select Cuts in the 3 oz. can are grain-free and they do not have avocado oil. The 5.5 oz. cans have Oat Bran, Rice Flour, and Avocado Oil. Here is the website: http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_prod ... cutcan.htm

Select Cuts Chicken Chunks Select Ingredients:
    Chicken, Chicken Broth, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Guar Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate. Vitamins: (Vitamin E Supplement Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Biotin ,Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12) Minerals: (Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Carrageenan, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Taurine.

8. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.