B12-- how do you give sublingual?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Martica and Fred, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Fred has low B12 (and has had terrible wobbliness and falling and can't get up--and very high numbers lately)

His B12 is 235 (and low end of the range app. is 276)

Vet suggested I inject hiim with .25ml of cyanocobalamin. He had no idea about methylcobalamin.

I already have the subQ methylB12--what is the best way to give it to Fred?

I tried putting it on my finger and sticking it in his mouth--lots of pokes, he was OK with it, not sure how much got in there

Can I put this in food? Any other ideas?

ALSO, if anyone wants to venture to the Lantus forum, I just posted Fred's numbers for the last 2 months. Have no idea what to do about dosing--could use some advice--have ranged from .5 to 1.5 dose and am getting chronically high numbers....

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

When I used it on my Maxwell, I crushed it and mixed it in his food. It won't hurt other cats if they happen to eat Fred's food.

3. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Hmm ... I'd actually be tempted to both oral methylcobalamin and injectible cyanocobalamin. Low B-12 can cause muscle weakness, which could be the problem here. But unregulated / under-regulated diabetes can cause diabetic neuropathy, which can also cause muscle problems (usually manifests in the hind legs first). Oral methylcobalamin can help slow the progression while the cat is having regulation issues, and can help speed the recovery once the diabetes is under control. And excess B-12 is generally just passed harmlessly in the urine, so it isn't usually a problem.

The dosages would probably be ~3mg oral methylcobalamin per day, and .25mL injectible cyanacobalamin per week. You give the injectible sub-Q, just like insulin, and you can use your insulin syringes to give it. IIRC, my vet sold me a bottle of injectible B-12 for ~12-15 dollars, and it lasts for well over a year.

And I'm not a Lantus user, so I can't help with that; sorry.

-- Jean and her Gwyn

4. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Methyl B12 tablets can be crushed and added to food easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.