please delete thread - no longer relevant

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Galaxy (GA), Aug 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galaxy (GA)

Galaxy (GA) Member

So, I've been giving Galaxy methyl-cobalamine orally for a week now, and he hasn't improved. He's also been on Gabapentin to help with the pain. His walking has not improved at all, I have to carry him and prompt him to use the litterbox, to drink etc. Also I read oral methylcobalamine is unlikely to be absorbed, the way his pancreas is etc. so it's not likely to improve his walking. Now I have ordered B12 injections, and AGAIN I had to find out that these injections might be cyano-cobalamine, which is not for neuropathy?

Q: have you had any experience with B12 SQ injection that was given for neuropathy? Does methyl-cobalamine even EXIST in injection form? Should I cancel the order (4 weeks' worth, £60), because they are not for neuropathy? Or shall I try it and see if he improves?

Quick recap: 10 units of prozinc twice a day, very good appetite, slightly constipated that SQFx3 a day seems to have sorted; no vomiting, no other issues, but BARELY ABLE TO WALK.

Any insight much appreesh

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I have reached out to the ProZinc forum to help. However as far as I know methyl B12 does not come in an injection form.

There are a couple things I see that concern me when looking at your spreadsheet. First your dose is very high. Unless your cat has additional medical issues, it is extremely rare that a cat would need that high of a dose. Most cats only need one to two units. Your starting dose was high and it also does not look like you're testing before every shot. You may have passed over the optimal dose that will help keep your cat's glucose levels under control. That is why I have asked them to look at your post to give you better advice. I have never used prozinc so I am not sure what the protocol should be.

It takes a combination of having the glucose levels under control and the methyl B12 to treat neuropathy. Sometimes it takes several weeks before you start to see any improvement. I know this sounds discouraging but it just takes time for the cat's body to heal itself. However if the glucose levels are not under control then the methyl B12 cannot work by itself. One of the cats I adopted was an untreated diabetic with very severe neuropathy. I immediately got her on insulin, tested before every shot, and use the correct dose to get her glucose levels under control. She also received the methyl B12. When I adopted her she could barely walk. Once her glucose levels started to come under control I started to see improvement with the neuropathy. It took a few weeks before the improvement was noticeable. After a few months you would never have been able to tell that she was unable to walk at one time. She was running and jumping with no issues. It just takes time patience along with the proper treatment to reverse the issues of neuropathy.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Have you had him tested for acromegaly?

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Neuropathy can take months of b12 and lower numbers to resolve.

Galaxy (GA) and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  5. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

My cat’s neuropathy has improved quite a bit but he still walks on his hocks and has wasted back legs. It’s been 6 months. The Zobaline reviews make it sound like they will miraculously recover overnight but that wasn’t my experience either.

Galaxy (GA) likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

It took my cat about 4 months before I saw any improvement, and I agree with @Lisa and Witn (GA) that seems like a pretty high dose, besides your SS looks like you are not testing before every dose

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  7. Galaxy (GA)

Galaxy (GA) Member

OK guys, thank you for the responses, those who are commenting on the high doses, have you looked at the whole trend visible in the SS? I don't mean to sound like anything and do appreciate the time you put in to respond etc, but we didn't get here overnight, there's a history. I'm not shooting in the blind. Also I think I've managed to find a balance between forum and vet advice, which I am not going into now. Suffice it to say, I'm doing what I can. I post in the prozinc forum as well so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing. Sorry if this is too abrupt, I am Hungarian :)

that's reassuring in a way, thank you
    Yes, that's also what I expected, reading the reviews! it's obviously not the case...

8. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

"No longer relevant?" Is everything ok? *worried*

Edit: ok, I looked at your SS and it looks like you ordered the B12 you were asking about, so I'm assuming that's why you changed your post to "no longer relevant." I was thinking something happened to Galaxy!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Galaxy
    We rarely delete a thread after there have been several responses. Oftentimes questions asked and answered will help someone else.

It's good to see a break through of sorts on Galaxy's spreadsheet! I'm also happy to see a few caregivers of kitties with high dose conditions reach out to you in the Prozinc Forum. Lean on them. They've "been there, done that" and are a tremendous source of support.

Galaxy (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.