B12 shot - edit title. Fluffed the shot . B12 shots can be re-given if that happens

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PussCatPrince - GA, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Tyler should be having a B12 shot once a week since he was hospitalised with pancreatitis. He wasn't tested for B12 deficiency but the vet agreed to give this.

Last Friday was my first time giving this at home and I believed I fluffed it as I had pink B12 showing out the the end of the fur tunnel I made.

I did phone the vets about this but no response. Maybe because there were new staff in training.

Anyway. Since Friday we are once again becoming knee deep in soft squishy cat poo all over the place.

Can I give another shot early without doing harm please?

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My understanding is that, since it is water-soluble, any excess is just excreted without harm to the cat. However, to be certain, I would check with your vet first. I also believe there is an animal poison control number you can call, maybe they would be able to give you information if you can't reach your vet.

Does Tyler usually have problems with squishy poo? Have you tried s. boulardii and/or Slippery Elm Bark (SEB)?

3. PussCatPrince - GA

I'm in New Zealand @Squalliesmom . So not sure this animal poison control number will be pertinent to here. Cats are somewhat considered pests by many.

I tried the vet . No response from the call on Friday.

Yes. Ty has been having probs since the end of December which ended in the hospitalisation per our SS.

Tried all the usuals. s.boulardii/ seb/ pumpkin / rice over those months. No change really. No difference.

Does anyone know if I can just re-give the B12 shot without damage.

4. Squalliesmom

Sorry! I knew you were in NZ, just not thinking! I think you can probably give it again, but not 100% certain, so don't go by my say-so. Hopefully someone else who has better answers will come along soon!

I have a cat who came to me at 11 mos with IBD and constant, chronic diarrhea. It continued for almost 2 years and got so bad that I couldn't even figure out how this poor baby could go on surviving! I tried everything, different food, meds, supplements, you name it. The thing that finally worked for her was treatment (as opposed to maintenance) doses of s.boulardii twice daily, combined with a regimen of SEB, just not given at the same time because SEB will inhibit absorption of other meds, and a limited ingredient, novel protein food. That worked for her and she has been diarrhea-free for over a year, but she has IBD; what is causing Tyler's diarrhea? Is it his pancreatitis? Poor guy, that's so hard on them. And certainly leaves a job for you in the clean-up department, it sound like! Prayers and vines that it all gets sorted out. Tyler is another one of our Super Seniors! :bighug:

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

I've heard many times that excess b12 is peed out. So I'm pretty sure it's ok.

7. PussCatPrince - GA

S'okay @Squalliesmom cat of the dream mice. There's so many of us pottering around , it can be hard to keep up.

I'm interested in that food you mention.

The thought is that Ty has triaditis. I'm not 100% with that because of symptoms or lack thereof.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  8. PussCatPrince - GA

Thanks. I finally got back through to the clinic and got a definitive answer. YES. I can re-shoot a fluffed up B12 shot.

Sean & Rufus and Sharon14 like this.
  9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I was told for Jones that you really couldn't give too much b12 as he would just pee out what he doesn't need.

ETA he is on this type Cyanocobalamin

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  10. Squalliesmom

Triaditis as such is hard to diagnose and is frequently just used as a catch-all for anything with similar symptoms. At one point one of his past vets thought Squallie had triaditis - he didn't.
    I tried several different brands of grain-free, novel protein foods, Verus, Nature's Variety Instinct, Merrick, honestly anything that had novel proteins, like lamb, rabbit, bison, venison, etc. The foods never seemed to make much difference to her, it was the supplements that finally turned it around, but ECID.

Glad you got a definitive answer on the B-12. I was pretty sure any excess got excreted harmlessly, but didn't want to recommend giving it without first-hand knowledge. :):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.