Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I’ve checked her 15 minutes later after feeding her high carb treats & wet food. Now 68. Her nadir is coming up so how long & frequent do I need to check & steer!? I’ve posted in the Prozinc forum too...

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Check in another half hour-- if she's still in the 60's or above, don't feed, and re-check in another half hour to see if she can hold the numbers on her own.

While you're waiting for the next test, could you update your spreadsheet to reflect these tests? :)

Nice to see Baby in greens!

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  3. Becky & Baby Girl GA

First thank you soooo! I put both numbers in at +5 - was that right? No color appears if I put 2 numbers in. I’ll check again at 2:00 est which is her +6. Acting fine so far.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's not hypo... Don't over compensate... Maybe just a little of his regular food.

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Great!

You can add the color manually if you like. You can also "stack" the numbers with the exact times (i.e., maybe "+5 62" over "+5.5 68").

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Janet's right that this isn't technically considered in the hypo range (below 50 on a human meter), but I don't think there's any harm in using this first green to "get your sea legs" on the procedures to follow if/when you do hit those kinds of numbers.

For example, I see on the ProZinc post that you fed both treats and a fair amount of HC food. That's fine here, but in the future, you will probably want to be a little more restrained, especially if the lows start happening early in the cycle. In that kind of situation, you might end up having to steer numbers for quite a while, and you want to make sure Baby stays a little hungry so you can be sure she'll eat when you want her to. Generally what we'd say is to feed only about a tsp of high-carb at a time.

Don't be surprised if she's really high already at +6, both from the extra carbs and possibly starting a bounce from the unfamiliar lows! Especially since she's already at her nadir-- she might have been gearing to go up anyway.

It's very exciting that this dose brought her into nice, safe green numbers! I can't advise on dosage for ProZinc (leaving that to the experts in that insulin), but this seems like a good sign!

7. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Ok well I saw 62 & of course the hypo link says below 60. I over react of course! I did go overboard with the temptations... I knew I’d use those leftover ones some day. I won’t overdue next time. It also is her normal feeding time or early afternoon snack & she was hungry. It’s a teaching for me & I think I’ll go a little lower tonight on her dose. Thank you again Nan & Janet! I appreciate it!

8. Nan & Amber (GA)

No worries! She's fine, and the important thing is that you were on top of things to make sure she stayed safe!

Should be about time for the +6 now?

9. Becky & Baby Girl GA

She’s 112 @ +6. Go Baby go! Should I check in another 30?
    I found this on the prozinc hypo sticky.
    LOW NUMBERS – WITHOUT SYMPTOMS
    Retest glucose using a large blood sample to make certain you have enough blood, and if you still get a low number (40 – 60mg/dL or 2.2 – 3.3mmol/L) give food or treats until the blood glucose numbers rise to an acceptable level. If the cat refuses to eat even his/her favorite foods, you can syringe feed or administer a small amount of syrup.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  10. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yay Baby! :cat:

Yes, a re-test when you see an unexpected number is always a good idea.

11. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Amber looks just like a calico named Honey Bear we had for years & years! My daughter let her in as a stray off of our deck. She had been recently spayed too. We called all the vets & posted found in our local paper but no one called. Everyone knew in this small town that I’d take care of them or find a new home. Honestly she was the sweetest cat We’ve ever had! Miss that little bear bear! Ambers a pretty girl! Thank you again :)
    :bighug:

12. Nan & Amber (GA)

Awwww, what a great story! Amber is also a total sweetie-pie, I think it might be a calico thing.

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hypo with a human meter is under 50, so you still had a little cushion. Glad she’s safe. Yeah those temptations work I have found. Lol

14. Becky & Baby Girl GA

The statement above said it was from a human meter? I thought that sounded wrong! So I needn’t worry until below 50? That sounds a lot better to me!!! I’ll take <50 to worry! Thanks Janet! She’s bounced up to 468 tonight with the low & all those treats!

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That's right. If you get a 50 on your human meter it's time to give a little low carb snack to prop her up.

16. Becky & Baby Girl GA

ok - I overreacted today! Now I know. She’s bounced up to 468 tonight after the temptations or a rebound from the low. I shot a 1.3 instead of a 1.5. Did I do ok? Oh I hope so, I’ll be up to check her tonight!

17. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Should be OK. Start with a +2 test. That might give you a clue about the cycle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.