Baby had a hypo event tonight

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lynncat, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynncat

Lynncat Member

We were woke up with banging coming from the bathroom. Baby was thrashing around and banging against the wall and shower. We picked her up and got Karo on her gums and then when she could control her head a bit some canned and a little bit of dry for more carbs. She seems fine again now. I had tried to get a bg this morning, but for some reason the meter isn't working. I got a nice big drop for the first time but it just kept flashing the code.
    She is on Lantus, started her at 1 unit and slowely got her up to 2 and she has been good for a while there. But I think she may be needing to come down. I've not been very capable at the bg stuff and now it seems maybe it was the meter. I only got one reading from it once.
    Anyway, I'll read the instructions in the morning and see if there is something I can do with the meter so I can get a reading before I feed, but if I can't any idea how much I should back off the shot? Should I drop back to 1 unit or just drop back 1/2 unit? I will run her into the vet for a bg at about peak as well to see where she is at. Unfortunatly my vet is not a lot of help, she is so behind on knowledage in this.
    Thanks everyone
    I just happened to think, I didn't say at what point the problem happened. She was right about where she would peak. Fed just after 7pm and shot about 7:30

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Poor Baby. How frightening for her. And you. Glad your were armed.

If Baby were mine, she would not get any shot this morning. You don't know where she is, and it is said that cats are extra-sensitive to insulin after a hypo event.

In fact, I wouldn't shoot Baby at all until I got a meter I could rely on and use. And, after an experience like last night, I would be getting a new meter first thing this morning.

I suggest the Relion meter, which you can get from WalMart. Either the Ultima or the Confirm, with matching strips. Those strips are less expensive than most.

My best to you both.

3. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

I agree with Venita. Please get a new glucometer and check her bg. Poor little thing, she was so hypo. Thank God you heard her! Keep us posted with Baby's numbers. Best of health to Baby.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

OMG how terrifying. :YMHUG: I don't know much about Lantus so can't help you much there. Do you post regularly in the Lantus forum? If you haven't posted there you might want to give it a try as well as here.

Glad you heard her & got her back to normal, whew!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.