Baby is 62 @+5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Becky & Baby Girl GA, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I just need a little support! I increased Baby’s dose the last few days & today she’s a 62@ +5; now 68 15 minutes later & I will continue to check for the next couple hours. I fed her about 10 temptation treats & she ate 3 tbsp I’d higher carb wet food. What more can I do!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Take a deep breath and relax, 62 is a good number on a human meter. You want to keep an eye out that she’s not still dropping though.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  3. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Ok thank you Sharon! - I thought the hypo link said below 60 & that sounded close to me! Lol I’ll chill! So it’s 50? Ok I’m gonna check again to see how high bg is now that I stuffed her with temptations I had leftover!!! She’s lovin it!
    Manic mommy

4. Becky & Baby Girl GA

LOW NUMBERS – WITHOUT SYMPTOMS
    Retest glucose using a large blood sample to make certain you have enough blood, and if you still get a low number (40 – 60mg/dL or 2.2 – 3.3mmol/L) give food or treats until the blood glucose numbers rise to an acceptable level. If the cat refuses to eat even his/her favorite foods, you can syringe feed or administer a small amount of syrup.

5. Sharon14

Yes, I would give food at 62, just don’t want you to panic. On a human meter, at 62 I would give a bit of regular low carb food and test again to be sure she’s not dropping more. I save the high carb stuff for either fast drops, early in the cycle drops or numbers in the low 50’s. How is she now?

Djamila and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  6. Becky & Baby Girl GA

She’s at 112 @ +6., & wanting to escape (go outside) from me & poking! Ok I’ll remember this for next time! & say to self... “no panic drama queen!” She’s really acted normal the whole time.

7. Becky & Baby Girl GA

thank you again for being here to help!!

8. Sharon14

I think we all panic at the first few low numbers! Another thing is to look at where in the cycle you are when you get a low number. It’s different to get a 62 @+3 than @+6 or after nadir.

Djamila likes this.
  9. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Well I’m sure it would be worse if early on. Of course I thought; oh my it’s not even a +6 yet & worried she’d go even lower. It could be so much worse! I’ll know better with each time this happens. I honestly wasn’t that excited until I read the sticky & it said convulsions at any time!
    When she was first diagnosed & I had just joined, she had a hypo, 40 & we ended up at Er. I knew something was wrong then because she looked out of it & wouldn’t stay alert. I think I had only done a couple ear pokes at that point. It’s a forever learning dreadful disease! :)

Rachel and Sharon14 like this.
  10. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry I wasn't here earlier, but I could see (sneaking a peek at my phone under the table during a meeting :rolleyes:) that Sharon was taking such good care of you! Thank you so much @Sharon14!!!

Sharon gave you some great advice through all of that. While certainly it's important to give carbs if they are really going low, we try hard to avoid carb-ing them up unless it's really necessary since carbs can cause them to get all bouncy for a few days. So if it's close to nadir (in the +4-+6 range for most kitties), and still above 50, giving low carb food is safer for the kitty. If you give low carb and test again 20-30 minutes later and they are still dropping, and are hitting those lime green numbers, then you might have to bust out the temptations, though most folks find that just a few (1-3) are usually enough. I don't know what those are made of , but they are potent!

Of course as Sharon mentioned, if the drop is in the early part of the cycle, (or if it's a late-nadir kitty), then things are managed a little differently.

Those stickies really are alarming! I honestly wish we could tone them down a little. Hypos should certainly be taken seriously, but clinical hypos are pretty rare around here since our kitties only eat low carb, and we test and dose with an eye toward safety at all times.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  11. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Yes & thank you! I posted on the main forum too & had help there. But Sharon calmed me & provided much needed info! I appreciate you checking! I screwed up because she’s now up to 468 tonight! I’ll know better next time to not panic & no high carb unless it’s below 50! And easy does it if it’s early to keep her a little hungry & eatting.

Djamila likes this.
  12. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.