Back again. HELP!! I have another diabetic cat!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kays8cats, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi to all,

I have used FDMB many times in the past and have not been on here in ages.

I have 8 rescue cats each with different health issues.

My cat Elmo was diagnosed yesterday with diabetes. He is 6 years old DSH neutered male that eats frikies canned and dry.

He was looking depressed, and was drinking and peeing a lot. I brought urine sample to vet and glucose was high. I also used meter to test his ear and readings I got were 300 and 250.

Having prior experience for many years as a zoo vet tech I did the following things.
    1. Took away all dry food. I know its bad for them but its hard with 8 cats.
    2. made appointment with vet to get more blood to send out to lab to make sure he has not other problems.

Here are my questions.

Has anyone had a cat reading these numbers and switching to all canned food without having to give insulin If so how long does that take usually?

I really do not want to put him on insulin if at all possible. I know it is important to get his numbers down but can't I do this with diet alone?

I am also in desperate need of any supplies, meters, syringes etc.

Thanks,

Kay & Elmo :mrgreen:

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Long time, Kay. Removing all dry and making sure it is never available to him again, MAY be a major factor. The newest insulin Glargine(Lantus) has a wonderful remission rate on newly dx'd kitties. Some go into remission with just a few shots, some may take a little longer. If removing the dry doesn't bring him back down, talk with your vet about starting him on Lantus. You need to hometest when using this insulin..I've never used it and the cat I just adopted had gone into remission before I got him. Check on the Supply Closet for help with syringes, etc.

3. cjleo

cjleo Member

Kay,

I use Lantus all the time. I put Hope's new one Vinnie on Lantus on Saturday. By Tuesday, he was off the juice. His numbers with in the mid-to high 300's before I got my hands on him.

Low carb wet food helps as does plenty of water. But you know that. Elmo may need just a little help with a low dose of Lantus and he will go to the Falls.

Good luck

Claudia

4. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks!!

Elmo went to the vets yesterday and tested 280 on their meter so mine was not off by too much. I tested him a few hours before vet visit and it was 250 so added stress and he ate would make it 280.

I have 8 cats and have taken them all off of dry. I am a sucker and have one cat BC who is 16 so I sneak her dry in a bowl and let her eat then take bowl up.

He is also on Zenequin antibiotics to rule out an infection.

I just need to get more strips so I can keep an eye on him.

I am going away next week and do not wnat to start him on any insulin till I get home , too afraid of hypo since numbers are not that high and pet sitter wont be able to test etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.