911 Back to hospital, high bg & not wanting food..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

2nd update: back to vet. He wont eat even his favs & tuna juice. 6 hr mark hos bg was 410. Very worried.

Update Sunday. He came home friday night. They said cholangitis. Ketones too. Friday night when he left no ketones. Did pee stick yesterday no ketones. Last night at 6pm before food & shot he was 299 with new Relion Confirm meter. He ate then I somehow gave fur shot. He ate some later on plus his ursodoil & cerenia pills at 8pm. This morning 449 and didn't want to eat then he ate some food so I could give his shot. 3 units of Lantus. Plus 1/4 of mirtzipine appetite stim & his antibiotic.
    I wonder if his pancreas is working at all with those numbers with not alot of food.?? If its not, can it be fixed?

Update: Tues pm. He has ketones. He is in hospital. I don't understand what I have done so wrong. I need major help.

Sprocket could possibly have pancreatitis. I am freaking out. He was fine last night until I did a furshot by accident. He last had some chicken at 830pm. Then je wouldn't eat. About 1am he vomited. Overnight & this morning he did again. Went to vet, they took blood, gave fluids, gave cerenia injection( he has had it before with no bad reaction). He looked better then 4 hrs after we come home he still won't eat. He only had some milk and some liquid broth from the fancy feast soup like packets. I am terrified. How did this happen?
    He also has some ear gunk & scratch on his neck that I had put coconut oil on.
    They did some syrup test & said it was yellowing indicating possible pancreatitis. They are running in house bloodwork now.
    What happens if thats what he has?? I am scared.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Reason for edit: Update
  2. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

@Darnell first of all dont panic and just breath! Pancreatitis is very treatable and it sounds like you caught it super early.

At this point what you have already done is a good step in treating pancreatitis. Do you home test Sprockets blood sugar? Is he still on 3 units of lantus?

3. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

I do home test. He was 502 this morning when we got to vet. He is on 3 units 2xa day but last night I missed with his shot. And he hasn't eaten so no insulin yet. I syringe fed him 3ml of lickable treat to get something inside of him. Gonna try some more.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The good news is that you are taking care of it right away. My non diabetic cat had it a few months ago. He had been eating significantly less for a few days and was not himself.

Vet prescribed cerenia pills, bupe pain killer pre loaded in oral syringes, and sub q fluids 100 ml every day until he was better. Came home and gave him the cerenia and pain killer and he passed out sleeping several hours straight... When he woke he ate a but and seemed to be a bit more himself. I'd say it took about 5 days before he was back to his old self... He got over it quickly I think because we didn't delay long, and because he was already getting sub q twice a week so he wasn't totally dehydrated.

If your vet didn't prescribed pain meds, and your cat looks uncomfortable, ask for them.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That bg is really high. Even with only eating a little I'd give a dose. He doesn't need dka on top of the pancratitis

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Right now he's missed two shots and isn't eating well, correct? Try to get him to eat something, anything so you can give insulin tonight. No insulin plus no food plus inflammation, etc. are a bad combo. DKA and/or hepatic lipidosis could develop if this isn't nipped in the bud.

ShipsCat and Sharon14 like this.
  7. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Its not pancreatitis. Its ketones. Liver enzymes are elevated and possible infection in gallbladder. He is at hospital. I am broken. I failed him. I need help tp figure this out. I can't give up on him. I must fix this. I have emailed DCIN. He is on fluids, meds tonight with ultrasound in morning.

8. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Darnell, you did not fail him. You got him to to the vet. That's what you needed to do. He's where he needs to be right now. I can tell how much you love him.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  9. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

I always read the posts on ketones and DKA, where my Payne lived . . . . you can spend your time
    beating yourself up over something that is very, very complicated, or you can keep doing what you
    are doing, trying as hard as you can. One thing that I found out with this terrible DKA and ketones
    is hydration is very important, talk to your vet about doing SubQ daily, it is a pain but it really
    helps. You are doing the important stuff by trying and loving him, that is so important . . . don't
    beat yourself up.

Remember you are trying to deal with the diabetics, ketones, DKA . . . it is a lot! When Payne was
    Dx she immediately went into DKA and I feel like it took me forever to balance all the balls. You
    are in the best place to learn what you need to know.

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  10. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Darnell you didn't fail Sprocket. DKA can come on suddenly with little to no warning. You knew something was wrong and rushed him to the vet, so you most definitely did NOT fail him! Diabetes can be very complicated and there's no black or white solutions, just lots of shades of grey. Know that we've all had things we'd do differently with our extra-sweet kitties, but in my opinion the only real way to fail them is not to try to help.

:bighug::bighug: Keeping you and Sprocket in my thoughts! :bighug::bighug:

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here's hoping that Sprocket is improving. DKA is very scary - I've been there with Teasel. It can come on very fast. One thing I do to boost hydration is to add enough warm water to his wet food to make a sort of stew. You could try that when you have your boy back home. Good luck!

12. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Darnell, is he just ketonic or actually ketonic + acidic? I think you may have gotten him to vet in time to avoid full DKA. Just ketonic is a lot easier - fluids to flush ketones, insulin, food and antibiotics. Prayers for you and Sprocket...

billysmom (GA) likes this.
  13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines for Sprocket and Darnell :bighug:. The only way any of us would have failed our fur babies is if we had done nothing to help them and just given up.

14. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

How is Sprocket doing today?

15. Kelly Howard

Kelly Howard Member

We have just been through the same thing. Maggie only came home a week ago from the hospital. Like Sprocket she seemed to be doing fine, and I brought her to the vet one day not even suspecting that she was sick, I just wanted to switch to a different vet and have an intro exam. Surprise, they found ketones in her urine and gave me fluids to take home. Two days later, she stopped eating and I brought her to the ER. She was hospitalized for 5 days. I had been testing her every day, feeding low carb food, her numbers were not terrible... I didn't suspect a thing. it can happen SO fast.

You've done everything you can by being proactive and getting him to the vet right away. He is in the best place for treatment now. I hope your sweet boy can come home soon! Kris's suggestion about adding extra water to the food is a great one, once he is back home. That has really been helping Maggie stay hydrated.

:bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.