Back to the ER with Minnie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA), May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I woke up in the middle of the night and she was having trouble breathing. A lot of panting and breathing through her mouth so I rushed her back to the ER. She was only oxygenating at about 90% and they had to put her on oxygen. The pneumonia has gotten worse. I asked if it could have something to do with the fact she can only lay down on one side now because of the feeding tube and could that have cause one of the lungs to collapse making it all worse. The other thought I had is that if there’s anything wrong in her gut and she’s not absorbing nutrients 100% then the antibiotic I was giving to her at home may not have been enough to fight it.
    At any rate, please send prayers and healing thoughts to my baby girl :(

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

OH NOOOO Minnie I'm praying really hard for you. (((((Ale))))) you too. sigh

3. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Prayers up for you both... :bighug::bighug:

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no Minnie!!!!

Your girl is a fighter, this has been one thing after another :(. Crossing everything I can find that she will resolve this and get back home where she belongs! :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Thank you all.

The vet just called and she was actually going into heart failure so it wasn’t the pneumonia. Her heart was enlarged and filled with fluids. They’re trying to get her stabilized and if they do, she’ll need medication for the rest of her life which best case scenario is 6 months to a year This is without having the biopsy results yet to figure out how that’s going to work. The meds for IBD apparently are not great for a compromised heart :(:(:(

I may have to make a tough decision sooner than I thought :(

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh boy Ale, I'm praying for Minnie, why oh why do these things have to happen.
    She is a fighter ,I just get so upset when I read about anyone's kitty not feeling well.
    Hopefully a different antibiotic is needed. Please keep us updated ♥♥

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Oh Ale just read your last post, I have no words, I'm so upset for you and Minnie
    Whatever you decide we will support you
    That poor precious girl, I just want to curse right now because I'm so upset for both of you. Gentle hugs Ale♥♥:bighug::bighug:

8. jt and trouble (GA)

Ale this happened to my Waldo. He lived a year and a half after his dx. He didnt have IBD but his lungs filled with fluid. I HOPE you dont have to make this decision now. I am so sorry. This is just breaking my heart for you and for sweet Minnie. sigh MANY :bighug: comin your way.

9. Nan & Amber (GA)

10. pomflora

pomflora Member

I was so sad to see this news, lots of love to you and Minnie.

11. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

12. jt and trouble (GA)

Ale thinking of you sending positive thoughts and prayers.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  13. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending healing white light and prayers for Minnie.
    healing light (Custom).jpg

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Thinking of you and your sweet girl. :bighug:
    My girl had heart failure and IBD or small cell lymphoma (couldn't diagnose due to heart) and kidney disease. The first two diagnosed at the same time. If your kitty is on prednisolone for IBD, then that isn't good for the heart, but budesonide is an alternative that Neko took and was fine for her heart (and her diabetes) and helped her gut inflammation. There weren't any other drugs that were a problem between the two conditions. However, treatments for the heart and kidneys didn't play well together. The heart is the priority.

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this latest news.
    Sending many strong vines to the dear girl.
    :bighug:

17. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

18. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Thank you all so much. I’m never going to get tired of saying that this community keeps me sane :bighug:

vet called to say she’s happy Minnie has recovered about 60% and is responding well to treatment. She’ll remain in the oxygen chamber overnight but they’re going to gradually get her off of it. I’ll have a new update in the morning from them. Still no biopsy results and I’m now primarily concerned with her quality of life. If this trifecta or perfect storm that just hit us can all be managed, I’m game for whatever it takes. I mean here I am testing 4 times a day aren’t I? This is btw the first vet who ever said to me when I asked about her BG levels, don’t worry we’ve got her on the same dose I know you’re home testing which is so great! She also has a cat with a heart condition and it’s reassuring. Every one of these ER vets I’ve spoken to so far and I feel like now I’ve talked to all of them are top notch. Again knowing she’s in good capable hands helps

Im also now beginning to understand why people say cats have 9 lives. Minnie is certainly working her way through them :cat:

Thank you again for the support it means the world to us :bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That is a positive report. Bless her little heart. What a fighter.
    And wonderful you have vets that are top notch and supportive!
    Sending more strong Aussie vines

20. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

That’s reassuring to hear and diabretes too? I should be able to get to the bottom of IBD or lymphoma with those biopsy results that are taking forever and a day. Is budesonide a steroid? Because that’s what they talked about putting her on

21. Wendy&Neko

Oh yes, the diabetes from acromegaly came first. Probably caused the heart condition too. Budesonide is a steroid, but more local acting the gut) than prednisolone. It's ECID, but a number of cats don't see any blood sugar impact from budesonide, including Neko.

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ale I'm so happy to hear this, I'm praying for her extra hard. From what you have said the vets seem like they are on top of everything and are in the best of hands.
    I'm hoping to hear some great news in the morning.:bighug:

23. jt and trouble (GA)

Ahhhhhhhh sigh of guarded relief. Ale I dont know how you do it but here you are doing it . Both of you! Now maybe I can sleep through the night. lol
    Prayers continued. You are so lucky to have each other. Treasure that. :bighug:
    j

24. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’ll ask them about it on the am call tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  25. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

26. jt and trouble (GA)

Any news Ale? I'm worried havent seen you in a while.:(

27. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

No news is good news is what the vet said to me last night and I’m still waiting for the morning call. Thank you for checking in :bighug:

28. jt and trouble (GA)

How cold I not? lol
    I guess thats true. If there were bad news they'd have already called . I HATE waiting

Deb & Wink likes this.
  29. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Okay ladies, vet just called. Minnie recovered very well and is off oxygen now. I’m picking her up today at 2pm PST :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

30. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I asked about the biopsy results again of course but they think it may be delayed because of Memorial Day weekend :arghh:

31. Nan & Amber (GA)

Hooray! Your girl is coming home!!!!

Bummer about the biopsy, it is hard to wait for answers...

32. jt and trouble (GA)

TY TY TY!! Ale I'm so happy for you...happy dancin! :p:cat::D

33. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It’s that yes, but also the tube can only come out once there’s a treatment in place so she’s eating well and that is super uncomfortable for her. I can tell and the longer it’s on the more chance of infection :nailbiting:

34. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It’s that yes, but also the tube can only come out once there’s a treatment in place so she’s eating well and that is super uncomfortable for her. I can tell and the longer it’s on the more chance of infection :nailbiting:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  35. Buddy’s Ma

Buddy’s Ma Member

So similar to my Bud, did they put her on Pimobendan too or a different heart medication? Sending her allllll the healing vibes!

36. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I know! I just posted on you’re thread and said the same. I’m not sure yet but I’ll find out when I get her and the meds in a little bit. Much love to you and Bud :bighug:

37. Diane Tyler's Mom

Oh Ale I'm so happy she recovered and is coming, that tube must surely be uncomfortable for her, I hope you will be able to take it out soon.
    Kisses for Minnie:cat:

38. jt and trouble (GA)

Sending eating vibes to Minnie.

39. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Finally home after waiting for an hour and 1/2 to get her. Covid19 sucks. Anyway, she already seems better and more alert. She even got excited when she saw 2 mice trying to carry the avocado I left out for the squirrels and got in stalking position so I really think she feels much better and all last week she was probably already in discomfort because of her heart poor baby :(

40. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

41. jt and trouble (GA)

42. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

43. Deb & Wink

Minnie is home! and feeling better.

Yes, waiting for test results is very hard. But hang in there and hopefully you will have some results in a few days.

p.s. Darn holiday weekend messes with us so much.

44. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

And for a diabetic cat mom to see her drink as much water as she’s drinking because of the diuretics is quite unsettling :eek:

45. jt and trouble (GA)

Should we be worried?

46. Bron and Sheba (GA)

47. Deb & Wink

Fluid buildup and the diuretics to help get rid of the excess fluid trumps the excess drinking (and peeing) that will happen.
    The diuretics will help her heart too.

48. Wendy&Neko

So glad she's home!:)

Did the vet tell you about counting her resting respiratory rate? I found it to be a really good tool to let me know when things were going off the rails with Neko. When she is sleeping or relaxed and resting, count the number of complete breaths (in and out as one) per minute. I used a timer on my phone. Normal is 20-30. It's a good idea to figure out what Minnie normal is now. When Neko's RR started to creep up, it told me when it was time to see the vet.

49. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm happy Minnie is feeling much better, she's a feisty little girl.
    You stalk those mice Minnie
    Please god keep this precious girl safe:bighug:

50. Buddy’s Ma

Buddy’s Ma Member

Yes! There are a few apps that help track this too, I've been using MedivetHeart.

51. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Yes I have to keep a log of it daily! So the 2 things she’s on right now and it might change once we get the electro done are clopidogrel and the furosemide syrup which is the diuretic

52. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

E40EC015-4BCC-4FE9-BC56-DB9384B801E3.jpeg She’s drinking a lot of water and has already peed. Ate about a can of FF and keeps going after those mice that got way too comfortable while she was gone :D

53. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

They gave her a more fashionable collar this time :p

54. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Look at that smug face! :D

55. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

So I just tested her and the blood just kind smeared instead of forming a droplet could that be because she’s on a blood thinner? And the ReliOn just said hi instead of giving me a number. This means it’s higher than it can measure? :arghh::arghh::arghh: I’m not sure what to enter in her ss

56. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Wait, I had to feed her one hour before the test because that’s the timing of the meds they gave her. So I guess if she’s already high that could have thrown the numbers even higher. I’m going to start spacing out the meds slowly so I don’t have to feed her less than 2 hours before the test but today I had to stick to the schedule they gave me...

57. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Wish I could post the video of her looking for the mice but file is too large :kiss:

58. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

HI on ReliOn just means over 600. Did you try another test?

59. Diane Tyler's Mom

Well look at this Diva in her leopard collar
    Wish you and Minnie a peaceful night Ale:cat:

60. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Can you move the shot back an hour so you can test, feed, do meds, and shot at the same time?

61. jt and trouble (GA)

Awwww our little Minnie Diva! She looks just beautiful and confident.

62. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It’s easier to move the time of the meds I’m doing that today

63. jt and trouble (GA)

Hows she doing this morning?

64. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

No I got too freaked out with that and the blood smear. She was at 457 this am. It’s high but not super high so I’ll just start fresh today. She ate a lot last night because I had to give her a lot of meds and the antibiotics has to be separate from everything else. They upped her to 3 units there so I’ll keep that up since she’s high and see how it goes. I don’t think the Lantus depot has had time to get going yet since she’s only been back on it since Tuesday not to mention all the stress. Thanks!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  65. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Honestly I think great! She meowed asking for food when I woke up in a very Minnie diva demanding way and ate a full can of FF. I gave her a little more food with the meds via the tube, but her apetite seems great. She’s been drinking and peeing and she came out with Bobo and I to sunbathe a bit. I have to clean the tube area today and the vet said to keep an eye on it because it looked like it was starting to get infected. They took a culture and sent it off to see if she needs yet more antibiotics. So I have this blue solution I have to use to clean the area well then wash it off with water. She endures it pretty well when I handle the tube but still not really looking forward to it. I made a list of all the meds and the times and put it in the fridge because I can’t trust myself to keep it all straight in my head :nailbiting:

66. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Oh she even went for Bobo’s food and tried to eat it which is something she used to do all the time but hasn’t done in quite a while :bighug:he wasn’t very amused to say the least lol

67. jt and trouble (GA)

That is a solid plan. I' would HAVE to do the same.( I cant remember what I was going to do a minuet ago) never hurts to have that as a backup! ;)
    So HAPEEEEE Minnie is doing well. :bighug:

68. jt and trouble (GA)

BTW? You're sounding much more composed and confident yourself You're doing a GREAT job. :):coffee:

69. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m just now seeing this. I’m glad she’s home. Max ended up with CHF but because of the quick advanced CKD couldn’t have lasix. Eating is a REALLY good sign. Prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

70. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

That’s funny that it comes across in my writing! I totally lost it in the car yesterday when the tech was going over her discharge instructions on the phone because it was SO much. Part of it was she was rushing and the other part was my mind going I can’t handle all of this :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: and I actually said to her okay I have to process all of this so just please give me my cat and the instructions and I’ll figure it out. I get overwhelmed when too much info is thrown at me and I need to take a second, step back and come up with a plan in my head of how I’m going to manage all of it. You know, kinda how it was when you guys were telling me to test multiple times a day ha! Anyway, it’s all about having a plan and once I got the list done last night with times and a schedule I started feeling normal again. The mornings and evenings are hectic with all the meds and feedings but it’s going to be less once the tube comes out and I’m focusing on the light at the end of this horrible fracking tunnel. And just seeing her act like herself again really makes me happy :bighug: thank you JT for the love :kiss:

71. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Minnie you go girl you are Beautiful

72. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ale I'm so happy Minnie is doing great, seeing her do things again that she hasn't done in awhile must put the biggest smile on your face, it puts one on mine.
    She is one tough cookie. Continued prayers for your sweet Minnie:cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.