Bacon Bits

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I read from someone (I cannot remember who) that they used All Natural Bacon Bits to sprinkle on food.
    Any specific brands anybody is using? The ones in grocery stores that I have found are not all natural.
    I know I could probabaly cook some bacon - but wanted to see here first.
    Also, is sodium really bad too?

2. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

I would imagine sodium could cause a problem if your kitty were so inclined. I'd be more concerned about the nitrates in most bacon though.

I would imagine if you only give it sparingly you should be fine (and I'm not above giving into my cats when they beg for my bacon)

Connie

3. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I use whatever I can find in the store for natural bacon bits, but I believe they are usually Oscar Meyer. Going to the natural food store today and will check to see if they have some non-nitrate containing ones there. However, I use them so sparingly (for cat & me treats!), I don't worry too much about it.

I tried cooking bacon myself to make into bits for storage in the fridge - but I ate all the bacon!

4. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

:D Thank you!

5. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Yum...bacon

I want some too!

6. Anne & French Fry (GA)

Anne & French Fry (GA) Member

Organic bacon has the highest concentration of Chromium, if that's what you're looking for. Chromium is known to help regulate BG levels in humans. To my knowledge, there is no definitive study on whether or not it helps cats. It certainly doesn't hurt though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.