Bagel mishap! (Levemir user)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Plugbait, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plugbait

Plugbait Member

So my girlfriend woke me up this morning before she left to work to tell me the cats had found a bag of plain bagels in the trash (that I had thrown away yesterday because they were expired). I didn't think they'd get into it as the bag was closed up and everything, but I guess my boy Pixie got into it too because his numbers had been under control for about 4 days now, but now...

AMPS 272 .5u Levemir

This is higher than he usually is at morning test time (by about 100).

I wasn't sure what to do but I did NOT change his dose. I made sure I pulled the plunger FULLY to the 1/2 line (he may have got a few drops more than usual). He eats 1/2 can Purina DM twice a day for now (until I special order Wellness this week and change all the cats' diets). What I DID do is remove a tablespoon worth of his food from his morning feeding routine (I steal a bit of it sometimes to mix my other cat's Cosequin arthritis medicine in to get her to eat it.. I give her medicine during the PMPS, but went ahead and stole the food and refrigerated it since Pixie's numbers need backing off).

The worst part about all of this is that I have to leave for work now! The soonest I can test him again is about +7. I'm not really worried as I am confident that he will be fine, but what I do want to know is if I did the right thing. Should I have made it .75u or something, just this once because of the bagel accident, or no?

Going to update his SS if anyone wants to look at that to answer my question, but then I have to go. Replies are appreciated and I'll read them first-thing when I get home! Thanks in advance.

-Mike 'n' Pixie

[Edit]He is on Levemir, btw[/Edit]

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

No, you do not give extra one time because of food accidents. You have no clue what extra insulin will do. Maybe high for a little while but numbers should come back down again. Lesson learned.......bury the garbage :D

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Yeah, no dose changes should be made, he'll be fine. But good lesson to learn what carbs can do to BGs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.