Bah! Just got a PMPS reading of 17.4/313 ...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Scatcats, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

My aim is to keep the preshot values (and all values for the matter) under renal threshold 15 (270), but we have had worse digits than 17.4/313, and this was on his steady 2 U BID of Lantus. :evil:

2. ThomasCat

ThomasCat Member

My Curt is always high 300s preshot.. But most
    of his cycle he stays low and mid 100s. His symptoms
    have dramatically improved since the insulin started despite
    his higher preshot numbers. Not sure if you have tested
    at other points on the cycle but there's usually a curve that can be really
    helpful on getting your kitty regulated.

3. Ann & Scatcats

Yeah, definitely time for a curve, now got an AMPS of HI. Sigh.

He was regulated with the 2 U BID and also the best ever fructosamine we've ever had had for 5 years, at 312. But he also have a history of hypoing, even with small changes. Now he has been sick since late fall 2010 but still been regulated and got a purrfect clean inner health on full blood work in June 2011. Until of late.

The vets at the hospital don't want me to take his every day AMPS and PMPS, they think it is unnecessary and say that cats gets stressed when poked so much. Instead they say spot checks, preferabably at +6 is what will show if the insulin dose is right. I don't agree with them there, but comply. They are also interested in occassional curves (as if I can't judge myself out of a curve whether to up or down a dosing :roll: )

Last vet at the animal hospital was a bit too hard, the fructosamin was 312. which is good for a hard to regulate diabetic, but she wasn't satisfied and wanted me to up his dose so he got a fructosamin towards the lower end - NOT considering I have a hypo prone little boy. Crazy vet.

But with a PMPS 17.4/313 and an AMPS HI, we seem to be back to square one again ....

4. Ann & Scatcats

Duh! Got a + 3,5 hrs 21.8/392 .... at least points down from the AMPS HI :D but higher than the PMPS .... cat(2)_steam

looks like we have to go up to 2.5 U :evil:

5. Ann & Scatcats

Ugh! Now I got a +7,5 number of 20,0/360

The infamous Lantus steady state we've gotten before during the years .... the Lantus steady state works ... just that no one wants to be kept hanging in a steady state like this @-) :
    PMPS 17.4 - +12 AMPS HI - + 3.5 21.8 - + 7.5 20.0 - + 12,5 16.9.
    (PMPS 313 - 12 AMPS HI - + 3,5 392 - + 7,5 360 - +12.5 304)

angry(2)_cat

Since he is so high, I took the Abbott Precision Xceed meter and tested his blood B-ketones, and knock on wood they were on 0.0.

6. Ann & Scatcats

ohmygod_smile now we finished off our day curve with a +12,5 hrs number of ... 16,9/304.

So I upped him to 2,25 U - not that it will make any difference on the numbers, I think I need a 2.5 U BID on him, but have to work so won't up him that much without being able to follow the day development.

Way to go, Simba, today. Now when we finished the day curve, I gave him his so beloved fresh organic beef meat. He had earned it today. :YMPEACE:

7. cjleo

cjleo Member

Ann, does he have an infection of some kind - teeth, maybe? Makes me wonder after a period of stability on insulin.

Hope he comes down nicely for you.

Claudia

8. Monica and Atticus (GA)

Monica and Atticus (GA) Member

Aww, I hope he comes down soon. You're sure your insulin is still good, right?

9. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Hi Ann,

Do you have a spreadsheet link? I'm not seeing it, sorry. Racci goes up on her amps every time she isn't feeling good. She really scared me yesterday and today. I used ketostix to make sure she was ok. Luckily she felt better by this afternoon and was negative. I think it was just the new food and a slight case diarrhea, a really crazy day yesterday and then having to get all cleaned up with all that long thick fur and having it brushed, etc. She's fine now and back to normal numbers. I'm going to bring her back to her old dose though at night. I just changed it a few weeks ago. I'm raising the night time to 4.5 and see if that helps after a few days. She was at 5u at her highest point. I hope she has a normal amps tomorrow. She used to always be high in the am.

Has he been having those high numbers for long? I think you should raise him to 2.5 if it is a pattern and his +6 has been high also.

Melanie

10. Ann & Scatcats

His teeth's are fine, he went to the dentist last year. But his Eosinifila has been high, so some sort of infection reaction somewhere in the body. He has however been very sick during fall 2011and it has continued now, with daily diarrehas and also blood in the stools. Foodwise and dosewise I haven't changed anything since Jan 2011. So he definitely have to go to the vets again and I'll have them do full blood work, fPLI, fructosamine, x-ray him and ultrasound scan all of his inner things. I want to make a heart ultrascan too, but not sure how he will take it. He needs his blood pressure to be taken too, but that makes him very angry so at the vets he is a very angry cat to deal with.

11. Ann & Scatcats

Yes insulin is still good. This change in him have come about since late fall last year 2011 and he has also lost a lot of weight.

12. Ann & Scatcats

No, I don't keep a spreadsheet on here, too techy for me and I have to do so many mmol conversions to mg/dl that my hands hurt. Instead I have daily notes on paper. No, he hasn't have had these high numbers for long but he keeps changing this little guy. He is 16 now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.