Bam's Spreadsheet - concerned about 400+ BG readings

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill A, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill A

Jill A Member

2. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

It is pretty common to start with some pretty high numbers. While they are not good long term for a kitty, it is better to slowly work on getting the numbers down instead of trying to force them quickly into lower numbers which can be dangerous. As the saying around here goes better a day too high then an hour too low.

I would try to get a few more mid-cycle tests. It seems from the data you have so far on Bam shows he can have a pretty big drop from shot time to mid-cycle. A few night midcycle tests could be useful as well if work prevents you from getting daytime tests in.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It's very likely that Bam is "bouncing" from the drop into the 50s a couple of days ago. I do agree that getting a before bed test every night and a couple of tests during the cycle will help you to know where your cat's numbers are.

I'd also suggest testing for ketones. When numbers are running high, ketones are always a consideration. Grabbing a urine test using Ketostix (or Ketodiastix) will help to reassure you that ketones aren't rearing their ugly heads.

4. Jill A

Jill A Member

We are going to do more before bed tests and will get a mid day test in whenever we can. I don't know much about ketones, that is something my vet never mentioned. How do we do a urine test if we have another cat?

5. saltycat

It depends on how shy your boy is. Some use a ladle to free catch a sample. I could just walk up and stick the ketostrip right into his stream... Let's just say he wasn't very modest. Some use saran wrap over the litter to try to get a sample. With 2 cats it is a bit more difficult. I might put a box and confine healthy kitty for a few hours in another room. One thing about our diabetic kitties is they like to use the litterbox frequently, especially in higher numbers.

When I needed to test, I kept an eye on him and when he headed down the hall to the box I would stalk him to get a sample.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The trick with any urine test is stalking your cat to the litter box. You either put the strip in the cat's urine stream or use something like a ladle or spoon, etc. to collect a small sample. Not every cat is enthusiastic about your messing around while they're urinating. If your diabetic generally uses the box at an approximate time, you could isolate the kitty with the litter box around that time. You can put plastic wrap over the litter, use gravel, etc. and get a sample that way.

The far easier option but more expensive is a blood ketone meter. The downside is that ketone test strips are around $1.00 per strip. NovaMax and Precision Xtra make the meters. These meters are the best option for a cat that's ketone prone. NovaMax did have an offer for a free meter at one time, I don't know if that offer is still available.

Jill A likes this.
  7. Jill A

Jill A Member

You have some good ideas there. He was using the litterbox all the time before but now that we have switched him to canned food he is drinking and urinating less. Do you just get ketostrips at a pet store?

8. saltycat

walmart has the cheapest ones I've found, walgreens/cvs has them too.

Jill A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.