Banfield Optimum Wellness Plans- anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by thepeach80, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

We saw this tonight at PetSmart and were thinking of getting it for Arnold. Anyone tried it? We were looking at the 17.95 plan. That's way better than $36 a visit we're looking at right now while we get his #s regulated. Anyone have anything good/bad to say? I wanted the 17.95 plan at LEAST b/c it offers kidney checks, there's a 22.95 and 29.95 plan too and I'm not sure if those are necessary. Any help would be welcome!

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I had this for my dog and my kittens. I have to tell you, while it's a good deal (especially for spays & teeth), I absolutely hated it. They could never, ever get their records right. Their standard practice was to remove the animals from the room when "doing" anything so the owner couldn't watch. They're always trying to get you to agree to extra tests & charges. The vets and techs seem to be very inexperienced (and their very high turnover). They use the "bad" vaccines (I forget the name, but it's the type that can cause cancers).

Honestly, I hated them and I haven't found many other people that liked them.

3. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

That sucks you had such a bad experience. We went today to check them out and ended up getting the basic plan for now. I wanted a higher one, but the vet didn't see the point till we got Arnold stable enough to even do his teeth. I really liked them, they were super nice and took well to my having had done research this past week and having been testing Arnie's BG levels etc. Hopefully it works out for us. We go again in 2 wks as long as Arnold's new insulin units work, we doubled today, to get his vaccines.

4. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Please be very careful to do you own homework on the issue of feline vaccines.

Banfield is not an organization that I would be seeking vaccine advice from.

5. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I had a very bad experience with them 12 years ago. I had just moved into the area and Minou, my civie, had her very first episode of cystitis on Thanksgiving day. I took her to the emergency vet who gave me prescription food through Monday and recommended a follow up visit. I took her to Banfield for the follow up. They had me drop her off so they could get a urine sample. They said they would put her in a cage with non-absorbant litter. If she didn't go by 3:00 pm, they would do cysto. She didn't go and they attempted cysto. When I picked her up, they asked me to go into the backroom and get her. She was in a cage with no litter box with a CHOKE COLLAR on her. She was so terrified, no one could touch her except me. She loved the vet's office until then.

6. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Thank you for bringing up the very important issue of adjuvants.

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

8. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

wait a second, did you say you doubled his insulin dose??? bad bad thing to do. dose increases need to be done in small increments, at the most a 1/2 unit at a time. your spreadsheet shows an uncomfortable number for you at +3.5 on that second shot of it and you intervened. and then the next day you got your highest number yet. i hate to say it but the road ahead doesn't look pretty to me right now. has anyone helped you with dosing yet? if not, remind us which insulin you are using and we'll find someone experienced that can help you with this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.