barfing civvie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MicheleS, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

I've managed to switch 4 or my 5 cats to canned. I'm still not sold on the concept that wet is best for *all* cats (but I digress) but I can't chance Soccer getting into HC dry. Sooooo.... the switch is a necessity. However, I have a barfer. He eats the canned and IMMEDIATEY barfs (more like regurgitates). All of it. ick.

I've changed the dry we have out to Wellness Core (from HC Purina ONE) and am "rotating" bowls (and closing doors!) so that Soccer doesn't get any. But, this just isn't practical. I work long hours and it isn't fair to Cricket to be closed up all the time.

So, I see 2 options:
    1. Figure out a way to get everyone on canned.
    2. Leave out Core and let SOccer eat it.

I'm leaving AGAINST #2 because Soccer is teetering on the verge of being diet controlled. So, this leaves me with #1. Ideas? Will Cricket get past this?
    thanks,
    Michele

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

It is likely just that he is so excited to have wet food that he is eating too fast. How about giving it a few days?

3. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

been trying since the 28th. I'm getting sick of cleaning up the mess. :?

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

oh...yikes.

ok, another option is to invest in a timed feeder so that they get smaller portions more frequently...would that work?

5. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

already have one set up for when I go to work.

I'm trying to feed him a teeny, tiny bit of canned frequently when I'm home to reduce the thrill. lol! But, he's such a nutjob (in all repects, not just this one!).

thanks for trying to think of ideas!! right now, he's in the laundry room. <sigh>

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

It does sound like Cricket is eating too fast. Ennis does that on occasion. I find that if Ennis is in hoover mood, and I pet him while he is eating, that will distract him some and he will slow down. Also, the tiny portions help.

7. troublelaurak

troublelaurak Member

I have had two cats with similar issues. One was Trouble (my former diabetic, now a GA which was a real challenge for getting him to eat wet) and we still have Smokey. In both cases, it was NOT caused by eating too fast, but by an issue with an ingredient in the food. We can't feed anything with brewer's yeast or beet pulp in it. There may be other things, but avoiding these two seemed to do the trick for us.

Just something else for you to consider if the limited feedings don't help. Laura

8. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

My civvie also barfs most wet food immediately (and some other flavors a bit later). In his case it is definitely allergies to some ingredient. I haven't figured out yet what it might be, but I did find by chance that Wellness Chicken agrees beautifully with him. As far as I recall, he hasn't *ever* barfed any of that food. He also *might* be OK on Merrick Grammie's Pot Pie, Thanksgiving Day Dinner, and maybe Turducken (we haven't been feeding any of those long enough for me to be sure). In any case, those three Merrick flavors don't provoke the immediate barfing - the question is whether they provoke any of his less immediate problems.

The suggestions of giving only a little food at a time are good, but the problem also could be an allergy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.