Basaglar ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steve and Buddy, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve and Buddy

Steve and Buddy Member

Could anyone give me some input on Basaglar? I went to the Pharmacy yesterday to get BUDDY'S Lantus. They told me it was pretty much the same as lantus, with same ingredients. But cheaper. 69$ versus 90$ for Lantus. Being unsure I got the lantus KNOWING it's a good insulin. I couldn't rely on their information after being scolded for not keeping Buddy on 2 units as prescription says. When. I asked for half unit syringes. They wouldn't sell me them with out a new prescription. Then they told me I was doing Buddy harm by not tossing away left over insulin after 28 days. They almost made me feel like a 60 year old kid not knowing any better. But I do thanks to the FDMB. Walking away smiling.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Don't even worry about them at all. The last time I got Mia's Levemir from Costco, it was ridiculous. My prescription was for a 5 pen box, but when I picked it up, they had given me 1 pen. I told them it was wrong, and the person at the counter said the pharmacist had changed it (can they even do that, change a doctor's prescription???). So, I talked to the pharmacist. It ended up taking over an hour for me to fill the prescription when it should have taken about 10 minutes. Long story short, I finally figure out he was just completely confused about the whole idea of a cat taking the insulin. He asked how I even give such a small dose (less than a unit) when the dial on the pen is in 1 unit increments. So, I explained that I use syringes and that the pen is basically just a mini vial. He was also concerned about the fact that, with such a small dose, I would not be able to use up the pen before the time limit on it was up. So, I explained that because I do not use the pen to inject, as a person would, I do not have to worry about the mechanism, so I can refrigerate it. If it is kept refrigerated, I can easily get 3 months or so out of it. I told him that I always make sure the expiration date on the pens is a long way out because the box will last me well over a year. In the end, I got my 5 pens, and I think I may have educated him a bit. He was not a jerk about it, just ignorant. When I looked at the paperwork attached to the bag, someone had hand written to prime 2 units before every injection and that it only lasts 28 days - Uh, NO. I assume he wrote it before we talked.

I think Lantus and Basaglar are both glargine. The glargine forum might be the best place to look for info on this or even to ask this question and get the most knowledgeable responses: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

Your profile says you are in MO. If that is true, I don't think you even need a prescription for insulin syringes. You can just buy them. I suggest ordering 1/2 unit ones from adwdiabetes.com.

(GA) Gypsy's Parent likes this.
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Basaglar is essentially the generic version of Lantus, It's biosimilar and works the same as Lantus. Chris used it for China for awhile to test it out and noticed no difference. I believe there have been others here use it too. There are a number of posts about it if you do a search for Basaglar posted by Chris & China.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, I was the first one to test Basaglar and it worked pretty much exactly the same as Lantus

Both are Insulin Glargine so if you can save a few bucks, I wouldn't hesitate to try it

5. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

I have been using Basaglar for my cat Beta for the past year. She's had no problems with it. The same thing happened to me when I went to fill her prescription, the pharmacist filled it with Basaglar. He said it was the same thing-glargine. It was $88 instead of about $110 for Lantus. Now I order it from Mark's Marine pharmacy in Canada and get 5 pens for $150 incl shipping. Check them out, many people on this board order their Lantus from Mark's.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Reason for edit: Correction
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

(GA) Gypsy's Parent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.