Basic Fundamental Every Day Newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mrag, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrag

mrag New Member

Hello All
    We now have a 15 lb, 15 year old Tabby that has just come back from his honeymoon. About 2 years ago, he would have been considered a "chubby" 19 lb cat. The last time, we were just kind of plain stupid about everything and just followed whatever the vet said, but things were quite fine for us and the cat. He is now again the classic "diabetic" although he seems quite "durable(?)" and quite healthy if not a little lazy. He has a voracious appetite (for anything), has lost some spring in his step, drinks 16oz a day (almost the way I drink bourbon) and fills his litter box every 24 hours. Since I retired two years ago, he kind of mimics me in a lot of ways ;-)

The vet just said he was back to being diabetic, go get insulin, give him 1 unit every 12 hours and have the start of several $75 "curves" done in about 2 weeks. Well, here's where the problem starts. The pharmacy charged us $105 for a 28 day supply of Lantus! WTF! Before we were using Humulin N which we kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 months and cost $45 (today it is $54, but there is no inflation). The vet also had us using Hills R/D dry food with some DM wet food. The vet hasn't said anything about changing that. In fact, I don't think she even reviewed Cat's (yep, his name, we're creative people) history.

So here are my questions if anyone could help.
    1) Cat previously did well (tolerated?) Humulin N. Why can't we try and use that again?
    2) I've read about "low carbohydrate" diet to possibly 'reverse' the diabetes, should we use only dry food, what kind, should we also provide wet food, what kind. Again, Cat is NOT picky, like me, he'll eat about anything.
    3) I'm a little hesitant on "home testing" just now. One other local vet I called said instead of the $75 six hour curve test our current vet does (every few weeks!), he charges $30 for a test where we bring in Cat about 4 hours after his shot and we then adjust the insulin dosage. They say, keeping a cat in a cage all day for a curve test really screws up the curve numbers so it does not make sense.

We've read through a lot of postings and other Googled articles. We're hoping to find some basic ideas to start with. Right now it almost seems like we are supposed to buy a top of the line Lexus. We love Cat, but we also can't afford a Lexus. Many thanks for any response.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome!

1) Cat previously did well (tolerated?) Humulin N. Why can't we try and use that again?

You could. But Lantus is a slower acting, gentler insulin. N tends to hit faster and not last as long, so it harder on the cat and more difficult to regulate with. Many people here use Lantus and have gotten their cats regulated and even in remission. Go over to the Lantus forum and check out the stickies on the top of the page. Also read some of the posts so you can get an idea: viewforum.php?f=9

2) I've read about "low carbohydrate" diet to possibly 'reverse' the diabetes, should we use only dry food, what kind, should we also provide wet food, what kind. Again, Cat is NOT picky, like me, he'll eat about anything.

It's great he is not picky. Yes, wet lo carb is best for any cat but especially diabetics. Check out this website by a vet: http://www.catinfo.org Most of us feed Fancy Feast, Friskies or Wellness or Merrick. Any are fine, just what fits your budget. We try to feed under 8-10% carbs. BUT YOU MUST NOT CHANGE THE DIET UNTIL YOU ARE HOMETESTING. In our Oliver, when we changed from dry to wet, he went down 100 points overnight. If we hadn't been hometesting, and had given him his usual amount, he could have gone into hypoglycemic shock.

3) I'm a little hesitant on "home testing" just now. One other local vet I called said instead of the $75 six hour curve test our current vet does (every few weeks!), he charges $30 for a test where we bring in Cat about 4 hours after his shot and we then adjust the insulin dosage. They say, keeping a cat in a cage all day for a curve test really screws up the curve numbers so it does not make sense.

You got it! Cats are usually stressed at the vet - noises, other animals, in a cage, with people who are not the mommy - all those things can cause stress, and stress can raise bg levels. If you dose based on the levels at the vet, you may be giving too much insulin.
    Hometesting is much more accurate, safer and cheaper. We poke our kitties' ears with a human glucometer. Then we are sure that it is safe to give a shot, and can keep track of the bg levels for dosage adustments. Here's a video to give you an idea of how it's done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8

So, it is your job to read and reread and ask lots of questions. We'll be glad to help.

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

If you keep the Lantus in the refrigerator and do not inject any insulin back in to the vial and do no shake the vial (do not shake or even roll clear insulins Lantus or Levemir) it should last longer than 28 days. 28 days is the manufacturer recommendation, but many people use it for longer than that if kept refrigerated.

There is more info on how to store Lantus here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

did you ask 'stay on dry only?'
    no, stay on wet/canned only and you'll see a 100 or so glucose point drop...maybe even get your cat back in remission with a short term of lantus.
    the dry may be what brought your cat back to diabetes.
    we have a list of every variety of canned food and it's carb count, try to stay under 7 carbs a can. it's called janet & binky's food chart.
    the reason it's suggested you don't change food until you start hometesting is becuase of the drop in glucose you'll see and therefore the possibilty of a hypo.
    welcome back to the sugar dance!

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you planning to hometest? That will eliminate the need to take Cat to the vet for curves, because that is something you could (and should) do at home every time you give insulin. Hometesting is easy and you use the same meter that any person would use on themselves.

Also by hometesting, you will find that you will be able to use the Lantus for possibly several weeks after the 28 day period. Since you will get a glucose reading every time before shooting and can do your own curves, you will be able to tell when the insulin is beginning to no longer be effective.

Have your vet change your prescription to either the Lantus cartridges or Solstar pen. The cartridges are used in the insulin pens. The initial cost is about twice that of a vial, but you get five cartridges or pens. These you will be able to use until they are empty vs throwing away so much insulin when using a vial. For about the cost of two vials, you will have enough insulin to last almost a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.