Battery Life for Petsafe 5 Meal Auto Feeder

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Team Blackie (GA), Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

I just got the auto feeder this morning and tried one meal for the cat. The cat looked at it weird and sized it up for a few seconds then ate out of it. I put the Energizer brand batteries in.

So for those who own this feeder, how long did the batteries last for? Of course my biggest concern is when the feeder stops rotating when the battery is dead. Also I see a square slot underneath the feeding tray. I guess thats the spot to put in an icepack?

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The batteries lasted several months for me before I no longer had to use the feeder. I suggest replacing the batteries at least once a year just in case.

The square under the tray itself is what goes onto the black rotating thing in the feeder so it can turn. I've never used an ice pack but a small one might fit in the bottom of the feeder. Just make sure it doesn't affect the tray from rotating.

3. Helen & Snickers

Helen & Snickers Member

I had been using batteries from the Dollar Store, and they didn't last too long before the feeder would start missing a cycle or two; maybe only 10-12 uses (I didn't use it on a daily basis). I would suggest splurging on the good batteries and maybe you'll have better luck than I did. Maybe I have a defective model, though!

4. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I think mine is the same model and it came with 2 blue ice packs that you freeze and put into the impressions in the bottom half of the unit. I found that the batteries didn't last for very long...like a couple of days maybe....and they were Energizers. I stopped using the feeder because Morris eats mini meals (1/4 can of FF every other hour) and the feeder could only be set for a minimum of every 5-6 hours as the pegs wouldn't go any closer together. I'm putting mine up on ebay as soon as I get around to it.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I guess we have been lucky. Our batteries last a year or more - we put new ones in last spring and haven't had to change them yet. I do always get the expensive ones. Mine has the space for the freezer pack also; I did find one that fit, but don't use it often. I more often freeze the food and put it in.

6. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

7. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

A long long time. Just look at the little red and white meter whenever you set it up to make sure it's clicking. You can also hear a faint clicking as the gears turn.

I really wish it was digital, but otherwise I have used 2 of these with success since 2005! I only have an issue with one where one slot gets skipped over and I have to be careful not to use that as the "starter" slot.

8. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

This is the one I'm talking about. I should of put this up earlier:

[​IMG]

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

That's the one we have

We love it! No one has been able to get into it, and Oliver made it his occupation.....

10. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Yup, that's the one I used. I used Duracell batteries (either that or Energizer) and they lasted a long time.

Can't help you out with the ice pack since I never used one. Have you tried freezing food and putting that into the tray sections?

11. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

12. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

No but I think I'll have to do that. Or I was thinking maybe getting mini ice packs and putting it in the tray then putting food on top.

13. Vicci & Shadow

Vicci & Shadow Member

I have that same feeder and it was still on its first set of batteries when we took it out of commission.

I used it for 4 meals. I tried to use the little slot for an ice pack, but never found one small enough to fit. Instead, I would freeze three of the portions of her meals and refrigerate one. That way the food was kept cold (in my mind, "fresh") throughout the day. Later on, I got lazy and didn't refrigerate/freeze the food. It kept just fine throughout the day.

Love that feeder. =) You made a good choice.

Vicci & Shadow (GA)

14. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

That's a different feeder. The PetSafe 5 is electronic.

15. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Hi Ken,
    I have the same one you do and it has been slightly more than a year since I've put batteries in it. I used Duracell batteries. I probably should change them... just because, well, it's been a YEAR and it has never failed.

16. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

I have the same one....Petsafe 5 Meal......Zoe LOVES it. I usually freeze food and put in it; however if I forget to freeze some food, I'll just throw a little crushed ice on top of the food and it does fine. It is rare that I find a compartment where Zoe has not licked the bowl clean. :D

17. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I found the electronic one at Petco on sale for $49.99...I'm buying that one and selling my old one on ebay. Here's the link to the one on Petco:
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=402966
    If you have a Petco account, they have free shipping over $30 now thru 1/7...just got an email from them. I HATE paying for shipping!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.