Baxter's Numbers going "Down" please advise?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Pat & Phil, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat & Phil

Pat & Phil Member

As you can see from a previous post we have been trying a .08U of Prozinc with good results. Now his numbers are lowering and had to give NS which messes up the consistency.

Last few days yellow and blues but today he started at AMPS 223 at the PMPS 84 via Relion and a 132 for AlphaTrak. +2 hours up to 144 Relion. Is this remission? Should we lower the AMPS dose to a .04U?

previous post:
    Just updating Baxter’s progress since the last conversation on July 17,2017. Thought, we had it figured, but now with a few No Shots, confused!

As everyone agreed, we started Prozinc @ 0.8 U. He seems to be doing well by PMPS. On 3 occasions he was in the high “Blue” but we felt comfortable giving a minimal dosage 0.2 U to keep up the consistency of insulin intake.
    Initially, were considering adjusting his evening dosage downward to say 0.4 U as he does not seem to need as much at night and the larger dose possibly elevates the AMPS - Our humble interpretation of data. That was our thinking but now??????

Any suggestions?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! What a great preshot number! Man what wouldn't I give to know what his numbers did throughout the day. It's tough to give good advice without mid cycle numbers. Any chance you could get some mid cycles soon? Or maybe run a curve? I know work gets in the way, but anything you can do would be helpful. Those mid cycle numbers are the ones that tell us what the dose is actually doing.

0.8 seemed to be giving you good numbers lately. Honestly, I don't know if he needs less at nighttime...some kitties do, but it's hard to say what's happening there. My honest guess is that you might be seeing the pancreas sputter into action on and off. Which means that remission might be in the near future.

Will you be around to do any sort of monitoring tomorrow?

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You could try lowering tomorrow, especially if you won't be around. It might give you a shootable preshot at night, which is the goal. I might try 0.6 if he's over 200 in the AM.

4. Pat & Phil

Pat & Phil Member

I may be able to sneak out to get a +5 and a +8. Was expecting a lower number tonight but not 84!

TempestsMum and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

If you can, that would be excellent! I mean, don't risk your job, but whatever you can grab will definitely be of help in figuring out what's going on! :)

6. Pat & Phil

Pat & Phil Member

WOW, what is going on?
    Is this possible remission in less than 60 days?
    NS yesterday PMPS with a 253 AMPS today. Lowered dose to .04U, BG up at +6 to 297 , +8 to 187 and 62 @ PMPS - NS.
    Little nervous when it goes that low, but he is acting fine and ate a full meal.
    Thinking if tomorrow AMPS is 250 ish or under maybe just a .02u dose.

TempestsMum likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Maybe try 0.4 u tomorrow AM?

8. Pat & Phil

Pat & Phil Member

We would like to keep AM & PM doses consistent to avoid the NS. So will try the .04U in the AM if he is above 200.
    Have any of you seen this low number situation in such a short time?

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

With cats, anything is possible! ;) Yes, there have been a few who have gone into remission within a couple of weeks. Sometimes it was time on steroid meds that caused the diabetes but it resolved once the steroid was stopped.

10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Just confirming you do mean 0.4U, correct? I would think it's almost impossible to measure 0.04U :smuggrin:

11. Pat & Phil

Pat & Phil Member

YES .4U = 1.0 on U100 syringe.

12. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Did you skip last night? and just curious why you increased back to 0.8U again? :confused:. I think when Kris suggested the decrease to 0.4U it was not just for that one day but as his new dose because the 0.8U and 0.6U doses were too much and resulting in No Shot for PM. While this can be nice for us, it's not ideal for their bodies to get one shot a day ;)

13. Pat & Phil

Pat & Phil Member

Sorry, rough morning and day. Well water pump burnt out. No water probably till Monday.
    Yes, NS last night but did .8U this AMPS @ 277 BG not thinking clearly. He was at 212 BG @ 5:30 PMPS so we gave the .4U and will continue as a normal dose.

14. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

No water!!! That's no good! It HAS been a rough day for you!

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. :)

15. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Yes it is possible, Tempest made it to remission in super fast time - on ProZinc too :) keeping everything crossed for you :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.