? Bayer Contour Next Meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Islandmomma, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

I am only 2 weeks into treating Glen's diabetes.

I purchased a Onetouch ultra meter. I have no qualms with the meter, it's basic and it works.

However, I just learned that my friend, who works for Bayer, is able to get me the Contour Next meter strips at 100 strips for $20!

I currently pay $86.99 for 100 strips.

Everything I read about the Contour next looks good. It uses less blood and more blood can be added to the strip if there isn't enough the first time, which results in less strip wastage.

I blew through 50 strips in a week so thinking going with the Bayer meter is way more economical!

Just wondering if anyone else is using it and if there are any issues?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I've seen others using the Bayer Contour without problems

For that kind of price on strips, I'd go for it!!

3. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

I know some people can order strips for cheap on Amazon but they aren't really any cheaper in Canada.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I use the Relion Micro (from WalMart) but I buy my strips on Ebay because I can get them cheaper than anywhere else (when I'm lucky and find a deal)....Last time I bought strips, I paid $70 for 500

5. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

Wow! Good deal!
    We don't have the relion in Canada :( I would hate to accidentally run out of strips and not be able to buy them at the store!

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

How to depress an Alphatrak user with one sentence. :(

Great bargain, Chris; nice one! :)

Mogs

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What saves us here in Canada (partially) is that we can buy Lantus over the counter and at a much cheaper price. It's some consolation ...

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. jmalasiuk

jmalasiuk Member

The Contour Next strips are good: I use them myself (I'm also diabetic), and have had no issues.
    For Canadians: I've been using the Bravo test meter and strips for Tonka. It's a brand made for the online pharmacy "Diabetes Express" (Canada): https://www.diabetesexpress.ca/type-diabetes-test-strips-bravo-test-strips-100bx-p-2457.html
    The strips cost about $40 for 100 - not as low as the Relion, but it's still roughly half the typical cost of the other brands here. I found that it reads a touch lower than the One-Touch strips I used to use for him, but they are supposed to be accurate within 10% (One-Touch was 15%, last I checked), so I've come to trust the Bravo readings. They also use very little blood and allow a second chance when underfilled - much like Contour. The only trouble is that you have to mail order them. If you put in an order for $150 or more, they'll waive the shipping charge, so if you know that you'll be using lots, it's worthwhile to order a few boxes at a time, and just make sure to re-order them before you run out. Like most others, you can order the meter free with a box of strips.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. CrazyCatLady85

CrazyCatLady85 New Member

Hi y'all. Looking for advice myself on a meter with affordable strips. Using the AlphaTrax2 thing, and I am fairly sure that I will need a 3rd job to even pay for the strips anymore. I've used 7 strips in the last 12 hours, and the thought of sustaining this is bringing me to tears.

For those who have/currently use the Bayer Contour (or other), how are the readings interpreted? Same as human? Do you have to do something special to the meter? Is there math involved? Thx for help. (I am still browsing the boards too looking for recent advice on meters)

10. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I use the Bayer Contour Next meter and I have no problems. I think it does use a larger amount of blood (0.6uL), but I haven't had too many problems that I couldn't get through. I personally really like the meter, and I get my strips from Ebay (there are plenty of high-ranked sellers that have free shipping). As a matter of fact, I just ordered 200 strips for $42.99 yesterday (only $10.75/bottle of 50).

The biggest difference between the pet meters and the human glucometers is the human meters run lower. The normal BG range on a human meter for your cat is 50-120, and 70-150 on a pet meter. When you set up your spreadsheet to track your results, you can choose the one that works for you depending on where you live (The US uses different BG measurements to the rest of the world, so you can pick the one you need without having to do any math).

11. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Ive been using the contour next meter since Tribbys diagnosis in February. I have no complaints!! Other then 100 strips are $80 but you can find them cheaper online.
    You get time to add more blood too which is handy. The strips seem to draw the blood up as well. Lancets are good. I use the Bayer device to prick but have free handed the lancets as well with no issue.

At that price go for it! I'm in and most strip brands are around $80.

12. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

In Ontario meters are free. I can't remember what model Bayer I had but it's in the landfill. I use the Aviva Accuchek now because of the incredibly small amount of blood needed and it's accuracy at low numbers. The strips are expensive anywhere you buy them. Maybe the pharmacist was just pushing their huge inventory of Bayer on me, all the stores seem to have a big stock. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.