Baytril Side Effect Question - Please advise

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Baby was given an injection of Baytril this morning for an abscess.. possible anal sac abscess.
    I just read & I do not mean to case alarm, that a side effect can be blindness. She was given 20mg 1x Daily for 14days.
    Should I not give the Baytril & call on Monday for Amoxicillin? Please give me your thoughts.

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Dr. Lisa cautions about Baytril for that reason. While I'm not sure what the percentage which has been affected by blindness or whether the condition is temporary, I have used it in pill form for Gandalf on several occasions as it is one of the few ABs his stomach will tolerate. No problems here and I consider it safe to use for him, as long as the vet and I agree it is necessary treatment.

Speak with your vet before going forward with the Baytril. For something like the abscess Amoxi might be a safer choice. And FYI, Dr. Lisa cautions even more strongly against Convenia - the one dose AB which has caused anemia in some cats, which can be fatal.

See here from old board: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... ?8,1905168

3. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

You can google baytril + cats or felines and find many articles about baytril. Go through them and select some to discuss with your vet. If I'm not mistaken baytril is dosed by weight so you need to make sure you are not giving too much.

4. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone. This one was prescribed by the Vet, since it is Sunday - I will give her a pill today - then call her Vet first thing in the morning for amoxicillin.

5. K.  Sya and Sophie (GA)

K. Sya and Sophie (GA) Member

The dosage is 5mg/kg . My cat has been on 5mg/kg multiple times for lots of issues and is fine. Vet says more than that is where you run into problems. Don't know how big your cat is, but if that dose works out to 5mg/kg then you should be well within the safe range.

6. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Nicole,

This is the medicine that Michelle over in LL has been giving Scrabble. He seems to be handling it well (knock wood). Quincy was on it for 2 weeks about 2 years ago to get rid of heliobacter in his stomach, and while it was kind of rough on him (low energy, diarrhea), there were no major side effects and he recovered pretty soon after he finished his treatment.

You might want to get some forti-flora or other type of probiotics to counter the potential for diarrhea that pretty much any AB may trigger.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.