BCP, Wedgewood...PZI ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George&Bert, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

My PZI from IDEXX expires to morrow, but, I have been told by some on here that it should be okay to use. I would think so and hope so.

Now PZI is being compounded by BCP and I wonder how any of you are doing with this. I don't want to use Pro-zink.

Wedgewood pharmacy in Sweedsboro, NJ claims they are compunding a PZI. I wonder, because I know they make Vetsulin. I wonder if they are trying to pass Vetsulin off for PZI.

Any comments please?

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

George, I wouldn't hesitate to use the PZI IDEXX......plan on it for Mishka and when I run out I will go to the BCP from TX.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i'd definitely use the pzi you have. when i was using pzi i used several vials for months past the expiration date. if it goes wonky on you you will see it in test numbers.

4. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

The pzi from wedgewood is compounded with humulin N. My Charlie was on it after his dx last year. Once I found this website, I called wedgewood to confirm what it is made with.
    We are otj, so not currently using any insulin. Just wanted to let you know what the pzi from wedgewood is made with.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I am not aware of Wedgewood making Vetsulin. Vetsulin's site says it is made by Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health. This is a large corporation while Wedgewood is a small compounding pharmacy. Per Wedgewood's site it appears that their PZI insulin is like ProZinc since both use recombinant human insulin as the base insulin. They add and additive to prolong its duration.

I have successfully used PZIVet well past its expiration date.

7. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I've used Idexx past it's expiration date as well. If Wedgewood is selling compounded PZI, then it has to be compounded PZI, not Vetsulin. And, FWIW, there are a lot of compounding pharmacies that can make PZI; try checking compounding pharmacies in your local phone book. If you can find a local one that works for your cat, you can save a bunch of money in shipping costs.

8. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

If you don't want to use ProZinc then stick with the BCP PZI. Sourcing instructions can be found in the sticky at the top of the PZI forum. I would avoid compounded insulins from local pharmacies as research has been shown that concentrations can vary.

9. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Gator, thank you, I should have added that the compounded insulins aren't always consistent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.