Bean's BG +13 ~ 34; AMPS~155, +3~155

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tuckers mom, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

The Relion meter says 34, Tucker's Accu Check says 58.

This is after a day of travel and here's what Marvie posted about her numbers prior:

Jennifer, for your records here are the numbers I got from her yesterday. I was told she was given a dose of 1.5u at 7pm Thursday. Going by that I tested her at:

+16 and got 51
    +19 and got 75
    +22 and got 146
    +23 and got 158

PS (6:40am Sat) 423 dosed 1.5u

So we're at +13 ~34-58, she takes Lantus insulin.

I'm not going to check her again tonight, but tomorrow morning, how much insulin?

2. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Bean's BG +13 ~ 34

Hi Jennifer
    Glad to hear that Bean arrived to you safe and sound. She really sounds like a doll.
    Those are very interesting numbers she has so far.
    I don't kknow much about a dose, just wanted to say welcome home Bean!

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

your ss way out.
    What dose have you been giving?

If Bean is at 34 you wouldn't give a shot-need a higher number.

Has Bean come down erom a 423 today? Sorry but the info is confusing.

4. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Wow! :mrgreen: I've been watching Bean's journey. I know it will help to better gauge once the same meter is being used consecutively, but those ARE some numbers!
    She sounds so incredibly laid back..& after such an adventure. I bet there is a dosecrease in her near future. She looks absolutely darling. So great she made it to you. Can't wait to see how she settles in in the days ahead. So happy she is here.

5. tuckers mom

Sorry to be confusing, the SS I have on my signature is Tucker's and it has not been updated since he crashed in March and started Prednisone and Potassium.

I will start a spreadsheet for Bean, but I've only had her for a few hours.

She wont eat anything but freeze dried chicken so far. Much to my husband's dismay who came home with cans of tuna fish for everyone to have a party, the rest of the crew did party :)

She was on N for a while, switched to Lantus a very short time ago, on 5/8, she was not regularly hometested.

I'm thinking, depending on her numbers tomorrow, backing way down and starting over at 1/2 U.

6. Wendy & Tiger

Wendy & Tiger Member

Granted she hasn't been eating well while traveling, but wow those are some big, long drops.

Thurs PM, ??? 1.5u
    +16 51
    +23 only up to 158

Sat AM, +36 423 1.5u
    +13 ~34-58

I'm not a dosing expert by any means, and I'm a big chicken ;-) ... But I think the 1/2u (when she gets high enough) sounds like a good plan.

I won't say anything directly (don't want to jinx it) but it seems promising that maybe she'll follow Mr. Darcy's lead. ;-)

Now Bean, eat! cat_pet_icon

7. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

be interested to see what she tests at in am. post what you get. ( and I agree -- pick which meter you like / trust best and just use that)
    it sounds like a good plan to back her lantus way down for a fresh start. hopefully now that she is off the road she will eat. have to see what numbers are like with more than treats on board.

glad everyone else had a party :D you and DH too I hope !

Eat Bean eat !!! enjoy your stay at Jen's. You are a very lucky cat !

8. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi thank you for the clarification, think I understand now :D

Yep-defo agree on the 1/2 u to start.
    Would also suggest you get keto diastix from pahrmacy-these test (stick strip under pee stream) for keytones.One of the main things that can cause keytones is insufficient insulin, so until kitty regulated, highly recommended to monitor. Don't want to scare you but can be life threatening, so forewarned is forearmed :mrgreen:

If a kitty really is struggling to eat, beans have used babyfood-you have to be careful what is in it (pretty sure onions are to be avoided).Would suggest you could post on the general cat health and see if others who have used it could advise.
    Sometimes unitl you've got kitty eating you have to sacrifice the lower carb foods and give them something higher if they will eat. Kitty must eat or you can't give insulin, so bit of a trade off.(still try and avoid the dry).

There's some really informative stickys in Lantus forum, we're a big group and there's lots of support and advice to help you.
    Kudos to you for taking on another FD kitty :mrgreen:

9. tuckers mom

Re: Bean's BG +13 ~ 34; +24~155

Here's where we are at this morning:

Thurs PM, ??? 1.5u
    +16 51
    +23 only up to 158

Sat AM, +36 423 1.5u
    +13 ~34-58

Sun AM,
    +24 ~155 (or 159 on Tucker's Accu-check)

She is eating some dry Wellness Core right now, waiting to see how much she eats, but think I will give her the 1/2U since she's obviously heading back up. I used her Relion and Tucker's meter, I'm trying to see if I'm willing to switch to Relion going forward, so for now will use the meter I trust and her meter.

ETA: She ate about 1 tsp of dry, I gave her 1/2U and will retest in a few hours. She's enjoying an open window now, and will have some alone time for a little bit.

She came out a little bit during the night, I have no idea who cuddled with me at 3AM, was either her or Angel Kitty, but AK is not a cuddler. I'll try to test for Ketones, she's still a little shy. So far clinical signs seem good.

10. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Re: Bean's BG +13 ~ 34; +24~155

It seemed to take her a while to decide to eat while she was with me too... from the info we saw from her previous foster I gather hunger strikes are Bean's favorite way to let you know she's not a happy girl. Very glad to hear she's eating already =)

I'd bet that was her that cuddled with you, she cuddled up against my chest for a bit the other night and she really seemed to enjoy her time in the boy's lap during the ride =) She's a real little love-bug that's for sure!

I like the idea of starting her over. I had a feeling 3u was too much for her even before but we couldn't be sure because the last couple of curves were questionable and she was eating dry food. I wish I could have stayed awake more Friday and Friday night to get more numbers but I just couldn't do it. I suspect that 423 was a bounce from the 51 that I caught at 11am Friday, no telling how low she'd been before that because I didn't even try to test on the road. It will be interesting to see how she does now that she's in experienced hands =)

Oh, her Thursday pm shot was at 7pm (info from Abby at pick-up)

She drank well for me but not a whole lot at a time like Tugger did when he was unregulated, and her pees were normal kitty sized, not FD kitty oceans, just for reference =) Her other LB deposits were very firm, probably due to the dry food, but I'd keep an eye on that just to be sure. It will probably be less firm once she's eating more canned. I only noticed it because they were so much more firm than anything my 5 leave in the big boxes.

I tried baby food Friday night, Turkey and Broth flavor, she turned her pretty little nose up at it after one look. Even putting FDCC on it didn't help. No interest in FF Elegant Medley's or the DM canned either, also not even with FDCC on it. Though the other cats mowed it down after she left :lol: At least none of it went to waste ;-) Including the bag of dry food that I forgot to pack in her bags... it was in the boy's room so I forgot all about it. But Isis found it for me and took care of it. No worries about Tugger getting into it :lol: All that was left when I got back from dropping Bean with Jim was a soggy green bag. I'm still not sure what brand it was roflmao. I know it was Isis though because her butt tattled on her when we took our walk last night :shock: (I really need a smiley that's holding it's nose, seriously, dogs should never ever eat cat food. My dog should not at least *blech*)

11. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't see this before. Never thought to look on Health. :roll:

Bean's normal diet has been the M/D (D/M?) dry that came with her. 3 bags. I would try that just to get her eating, then step into transitioning to something better, be it Wellness Core dry or wet food.

I am happy you are being cautious with the dosing and the testing. Bean is a steroid-induced diabetic, so I expect to see her go OTJ.

Ah, what are you calling her now? I know you have a "Beanie" at you house so you need another name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.