Beauregard - at home blood test results

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mystery, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery

Mystery Member

Hi everyone.

My little lovebug Beauregard (or BooBoo for short) was diagnosed with diabetes on September 29.

He's a very special little boy - I adopted him when he was 2-3 years old, and he was recovering from several reconstructive surgeries to fix his fanny and one of his back hips from damage done by some evil little cretin exploding his fanny with a firecracker. It was a long recovery process, but after a couple years he was doing just fine and dandy.

Now he's around 12-13 years old, and is a new diabetes patient. The first week, he was getting 1 unit of Prozinc U40. Then we upped it to 2 units, and he's been on that for about 10 days now.

As you might imagine, Boo doesn't like people much, and he likes vets even less. His second reading done at the vet's office was so high it didn't even register, but we're convinced that was caused by stress. So, the vet is recommending that I do as much at home as possible, including the initial 'curve' testing.

So, if figured I'd try one test a day for a week, then go for the every two hours test this weekend when I can be home with him all day. After three days of coaxing, I was able to do the first blood test yesterday and it was a 98. That was a couple hours after his morning shot. This evening, I was able to get another test done, and the reading was only 31, about 90 minutes after his evening shot. That's so low, and I'm really scared!

Is it possible I messed up the test? I'm using the AlphaTrak meter, did the control test, and it seems to be functioning properly. I just don't know if there's something obvious that I might have done to skew the reading, or if I need to stay up with him all night to make sure he doesn't start showing signs of being hypoglycemic. Should i give him a little drop of honey?

Should I be panicking?

Attached Files:

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Is the alphatrac the only meter you have available? (if you had a human one, you could check your
    Levels to see if it is working. )

How is he acting? any unusual behavior?

Please go back to your original post and edit the subject line. Include a 911 to attract more eyes.

3. Mystery

Mystery Member

Yes, it is the only meter I have.

He's not acting at all strange (well, no more strange than usual - he is a cat, after all!). He's eaten about half of his dinner, and since he's a grazer, not a gobbler, that's pretty normal. We played chase the birdie and cat charmer for about 30 minutes, then did the test about 30 minutes after that. Now he's just sitting in his chair next to my desk, as usual, looking at me like I'm a total moron! Things in the litter box seem normal. It's just a super low reading!

This whole thing is such an emotional rollercoaster! One day I'm sure he's going to be just fine, then the next I'm sure that I'm just messing everything up -- "Was that shot a mm over/under the 2u mark?" "Did the needle get bumped" "Did he drink a few drops more today than yesterday?" "Is he eating as much today as yesterday?" I'm a slightly obsessive personality type, and that is such a bad, bad combination with a newly diagnosed diabetic in the family, fer Pete's sake!

Of course I'll call the vet first thing in the morning, but I think i should try to stay awake with him tonight just to make sure there are no signs of a hypo attack. Poor little BooBoo!

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

How about taking another test?

5. Hi, Beauregard's Mom,

What can we call you? Yes, a 31 on the meter is sure to attract your attention. From what you posted he seems to be acting okay. Do you have a good supply of test strips, and can you test him again?

We're gonna stick around until everyone is sure all is okay, okay?

Carl in SC

p.s. - when you have spare time, read this thread. It'll make BooBoo less likely to sit there and stare at you "like you're a moron!" They all do that at first, and it's usually our fault!

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33671

6. Mystery

Mystery Member

I will try that. He's rather uncooperative though. A friend was over earlier when I did the test and helped me, and I'm not sure I can get it done by myself without a major blood-letting. He just hates to be handled in any way. He will sit or lay down next to me, but I've never been able to pick him up and hold him for more than five seconds or so without needing stitches and a pint of blood myself!

Wish me luck!

7. Mystery

Mystery Member

Thanks Carl in SC! I'm Lisa, hailing from the 'burbs of Portland, Oregon. I use the name Mystery on all the political message boards where I post so I didn't even think about using a real name when I registered!

Y'all are such a great support group. Some of the threads I've been reading through *sniffle* are just *sniffle* amazing.

8. Definitely give it a try. When he's that low, you really need to know which way he's heading. PZI usually peaks 5-6 hours after the shot, and you need to be able to monitor his BG closely until it starts to come up a good bit. Keep a very close eye on him for any signs of hypoglycemia.
    Do you know what to look for?

Carl

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We wrapped Oliver in a towel with only his head showing. With him between your knees you can hold him still. It is important to be able to get some tests in. If he is truly low, you have several more hours when he could go lower.

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Here are the hypo directions: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15887

You really have to get another number. Even if you have to put him in the bathroom with you, with gloves on.

11. Mystery

Mystery Member

Success! I trapped him in between me and the arm of the couch and was able to do a poke lickety-split. The reading this time was 82. Can I be somewhat releived?

The vet mentioned that some cats have a reaction to the insulin where there BG drops very quickly after a shot, instead of the gradual decrease then increase.

Carl - yes, I looked up the symptoms as soon as I got the low reading and he doesn't seem to be showing any of the symptoms. But then we all know our kittehs are masters at hiding their ails. The little buggers.

Sue - the towel wrap trick is what the vet did when they had to draw blood the first time. The tech, of course, didn't believe me when I told her BooBoo doesn't like to be handled, and she tried to pick him up off of the table to take him to the back room. It so wasn't a pretty sight (but I kind of laughed anyway - I know - bad bad!) Then she brought out the towel and wrapped him up like a purrito.

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

So glad you got a test! 82 is much better! How long since the shot? It is possible his numbers can still go down until about 6 hours after the shot.

So, this means your dose is too high. One thing that happens when cats are tested and doses are determined at the vet, the dose may be too high once the kitty gets home. Kitties are stressed at the vet and stress raises bg levels. That's why testing at home is more accurate.

If I were you I would start again at 1 unit twice daily. Test before each shot to make sure it is safe to give the amount you are planning on. Test about 6 hours after the shot. That tells you how low the insulin takes him.

13. Lisa,
    Do you know what Beauregard's BG was when the vet told you to up the dose from 1u to 2u? Was it just a normal BG test, or did they do a fructosamine test.
    Do you remember what his BG was, and how it was tested when he was initially diagnosed?

Usually there would be a logical reason to up a dose, but if you are getting a 98 before a shot, then that means the doses are too high. Actually , 98 is not a diabetic number, as "normal" would range from 50-120.

The only safe way to shoot insulin is to know what his BG is before you give him his shot. And of course, to make sure that the dose you are giving is safe with the BG number you get.
    Beauregard will get better with testing. Make sure and give him lots of love and a treat any time you poke him with anything sharp, be it a lancet or a needle. Soon the treat will be what matters, and the poke just a little inconvenience he has to put up with in order to get to the treat!

Carl

14. Mystery

Mystery Member

It's been a little over three hours since the shot, about 90 minutes since the 31 reading. Maybe I did something wrong with the first one. Either way, 82 is still low, so I'm going to stay up with him until midnight. That will be over six hours since the shot so I'll test him again then. I'm almost relieved...but I have the honey jar out on the kitchen counter just in case! And I'll do another test in the morning before breakfast too - if it's still rather low, I'll go with 1 unit 'til I can talk to the vet and get her opinion.

I think I'll go ahead and do the urine test this evening too, just as a bit of reassurance that I'm doing the blood tests quasi-correctly. I have the little confetti-like sprinkles for the litter box. Before we bumped him up to 2u per shot, those were in mid to dark color range, so they should be very light to light if he's a bit under 100 on the blood test.

I can't believe how good he was for me this time, fer Pete's sake. He was less stressed about the second test than he was earlier when my friend was helping me. What a good boy - yaaay!

I'm very puzzled by any vet's office not promoting home testing for any cat like BooBoo. I know some cats actually don't mind the travel and strange smells at the hospital, but for those who do, those who get scared and stress and totally outraged at the indignity of being poked and prodded like a dog, why would they not recommend it be done in the comfort of the cat's home, by the person the cat trusts the most?

Thank you all so much. Thank you thank you, a thousand times thank you!! :RAHCAT

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

This is sounding much better than the thought of a 31!

One of the things we like to see with ProZinc is increases of .25 rather than a full unit. If you increase by a full unit, you may go over his ideal dose. And as you have seen tonight, although it is easy to increase the insulin when the numbers indicate, but it's not possible to get the insulin out of the cat once you've shot the insulin.

I think vets may not suggest home testing because this whole thing is so overwhelming at first , they worry it will be too much for the parents. For me, it was such a relief to know what is happening and feel more in control.

16. Lisa,
    I think that in some cases, they just don't believe that people can do testing themselves. My vet insisted I do home testing, so I don't understand those that don't recommend it. I mean, I could have said no, but she explained why I needed to, and that vet stress was going to give her inflated numbers, and that Bob needed to be tested before each shot.
    Home testing isn't "rocket science", so I don't understand the unwillingness of some vets to encourage it. It can't just be because of "money" they get from frequent repeat visits for BG testing. That might be the motivation for some of them. I would think the vet techs would get tired of having to do it, especially will uncooperative kitties. I don't know...

Carl

17. Mystery

Mystery Member

Carl,

The initial blood test at the vets office was 480ish. We started with 1u for the first week. Then we went back to the vet's office and the reading was so high it was above the meter's highest reading. The vet was fairly sure some of that was due to stress since he'd been getting insulin twice a day for a week, and his symptoms had responded well. That was when we started with the 2u. I took him back for another test at the end of the first week on 2u, and he tested over 300. But again, she was fairly sure under normal circumstances that it would have been lower since he was then on 2u for a week, and she recommended that we continue with 2u, and do the tests at home. So we continued with the 2u for the third week, and I should have been testing him all of last week but, unfortunately, I'm kind of poor these days and had to wait until last Friday when I got paid to get the home testing kit. Then it took three days to be able to get a test!

The 98 was about 90 minutes after his shot - not before. The plan was to ease him into the home tests, since his nature is so oppositional to being handled. But he was so good for the second one tonight! It's very encouraging.

18. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hey there, great catch tonight. maybe he knew he needed your help so he cooperated. :)

fwiw, in the morning, if you get a number under 200, don't give any insulin at all ok? skip the shot and talk to your vet. sounds like the 2 units is too much and even possibly that kitty could be heading for remission.

also, there is a good chance the number could be over 200, quite high actually, but that could be from going so low tonight. their bodies panic and spit out whatever it's got in reserves to try and save itself so even if you get a number in the morning well over 200, don't shoot more than a unit ok. gut response is to shoot more insulin but what ends up happening is one horrible rollercoaster ride for kitty

(edited to correct "shop" to "shot")

19. Great advice from Cindy!

In the AM, if under 200, no shot

If over 200, just shoot one unit (and expect the number to be high due to the very low number tonight)

and call the vet and ask about dropping the "normal" dose down.

Lisa, thanks for the clarification and the history. Knowing that helps all of us help you and BooBoo.

Carl

20. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Next time if you get an usually low number, do another test to rule out meter error or a partailly filled test strip. It happens sometimes :smile:

And keep a Human blood glucose meter and supplies on hand just in case you want to test it against the numbers the AlphaTrack is giving you.

82 isn't low. It's a normal non-diabetic blood glucose level :smile: It's way better than the 31. For a post-hypo, you do want to kep testing the blood glucose levels to make sure that the blood gluocse level isn't going to drop anymore.

21. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Welcome BOO BOO AND MOMMA BEAN.....

How is he doing this am??

I wanted to drop in and say welcome to both of you. You have found the BEST place to be for you both. My Sugar Bean was dx on 4/21 and in remission by 5/24!!!! :D

Mainly due to this site....My vet did a curve and dx from 1 unit of PZI to 2 units... I did not raise it that much because what I learned here. He also suggested I NOT test at home!!!!! WTH!

Because of this site, I raised by .5 and .25 only.... I do have a spread sheet below and it will show you how me NOT home testing and failing the first couple attempts (mommy was TERRIBLE at it at first) could have cost my little girl her life...
    What kinds of food does Boo Boo eat? After switching the diet - removing all dry and going on low carb wet, Beans numbers dropped about 100. We test once every 2-4 wks now and she stays in the 50's. :RAHCAT

Good luck w/ BooBoo, sounds like he is doing great so far and thank gosh for that test last nite. ;-)

22. DEF

DEF Member

According to Rand (whose research all the BG numbers given to you are based on) an Alpha Trak meter numbers ARE NOT compatible with a human meter.

You are supposed to substract 30 points from your readings. So it doesn't even make sense that you got a 30 though there is a certain percentage that these meters can be off. Suffice it to say that the reading was lower than a 30.

Unless someone says the BG numbers they are giving you are configured for an Alpha trak you need to ADD 30 points . For example ---if the reccomendation is to keep BG between 50 and 200 you need to make this 80 to 230.

Otherwise if you got a reading of 50 you would think that is OK based on those figures but it really it is not.

Very confusing with these meters.

BUT either SUBTRACT 30 points from the numbers given by your meter and use the stickys dose recommendations or ADD 30 points to those recommendations. (unless the chart says for an alpha trak meter)

I don't know if there is a Sticky about all this or not. I am coming to the conclusion that as long as most of the discussions on this site mention human meter recommendations I would get a human meter to avoid confusion.

Good luck, Elaine

23. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I see you are on this am. Please post your number and get advice on a dose.

24. Mystery

Mystery Member

This morning's reading (which took 25 minutes of torture for the poor little guy) was a 233. That was done before breakfast and before the shot (those things actually happen at the same time - he doesn't even seem to notice the shot when he's busy nomming on his breakfast. He is totally loving this canned food diet!)

I've given him one unit and will call the vet - they don't open 'til 8:00am though.

Also, I think I forgot to mentioned that he's on the Prozinc U40, not the U100. From what little my pea-brain has been able to digest about the difference, the 40u has 1.5x less insulin per shot than would the 100u filled to the same level in the syringe. Is that correct?

25. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That will probably be okay. As Cindy and Carl said last night, we would expect him to rebound from the low numbers yesterday so this morning the number might have been artificially high. Can you get some numbers in today to make sure he doesn't drop low again. A test 3 and then 5 hours after the shot would be great.

Are you using U40 syringes? With a U40 insulin you need to use the syringe that matches. If you are using U100 syringes with a U40 insulin, you have to use a conversion chart. Conversion chart: http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-c ... rinter.htm Please check so we know exactly what your dose was this morning.

26. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If you gave one unit on a U100 syringe this am, that would be .4 units which would be a nice safe dose. I hope that is correct.

27. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Are you using U-100 syringes for U-40 insulin ?

If you are using U-40 insulin (ProZinc) and U-40 syringes (from the vet, most likely), then
    the U-40 syringe loaded to the "1" unit mark is ONE UNIT of insulin.

Actually U-100 insulin is 2.5 times more concentrated than U-40 insulin.
    Or you can say that U-40 insulin is 'diluted' to 40% of the strength of U-100 insulin.

If you are using U-100 syringes for the ProZinc, then here is a little chart:

For .2 units of ProZinc, load a U-100 syringe to the ".5" unit mark.
    For .4 units of ProZinc, load a U-100 syringe to the "1" unit mark.
    For .6 units of ProZinc, load a U-100 syringe to the "1.5" unit mark.
    For .8 units of ProZinc, load a U-100 syringe to the "2.0" unit mark.
    For 1.0 units of ProZinc, load a U-100 syringe to the "2.5" unit mark.

For 1.2 units of ProZinc, load a U-100 syringe to the "3.0" unit mark.
    For 1.4 units of ProZinc, load a U-100 syringe to the "3.5" unit mark.
    For 1.6 units of ProZinc, load a U-100 syringe to the "4.0" unit mark.
    For 1.8 units of ProZinc, load a U-100 syringe to the "4.5" unit mark.
    For 2.0 units of ProZinc, load a U-100 syringe to the "5.0" unit mark.

You can see why we like U-100 syringes marked in 1/2-units.

Always state your dose as the TRUE DOSE of insulin, not the mark you are
    drawing to in the syringe.

If you load a U-100 syringe with ProZinc (U-40) to the "1.0" unit mark, then
    your TRUE DOSE is .4 units of insulin, not 1.0 (the mark on the syringe).

The actual math is:
    Desired units of insulin (U-40) times 2.5 = the MARK on the U-100 syringe.
    Example 1.0 unit of U-40 insulin times 2.5 = the "2.5" unit-mark on the U-100 syringe.

28. Mystery

Mystery Member

Yes, the syringes are for the u40. Everything came in the all-in-one package that I bought at the vets office - the tester, strips, lancets and holder, and control solution.

Oh! The urine test confetties were in the mid-color range. There are five colors in secret decoder key on the instructions and he was mostly in the middle.

I'm going to try to run home from work today a few times to get a test in. Thank goodness my communute is less than 4 miles, and in between work and home is the vet's office! I have to stop in there today to get food so maybe after I call, I can ask if there's a time she might be available for a quick chat and I can time the food pickup for then.

Again, thank you all so much!

29. Sue and Oliver (GA)

So you gave a true one unit this morning. Yes, the tests during the day would be a great idea.

This sugar dance is complicated but you are getting it! Congrats on getting a number this morning. It does get easier. Warming the ear was a vital step for us.

30. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Ah, yes, then loading U-40 insulin into a U-40 syringe to the "1" unit mark is
    a dose of 1 unit insulin.

U-40 syringes are marked correctly for U-40 insulin. Don't get muddled
    up with the 'density' of U-40 insulin vs. U-100 insulin.

You won't need to worry about that unless you start using U-100 syringes.

Remember, with the confetti, you have to wait about 1/2 hour after the
    cat has moistened the confetti for the color to fully develop on the
    pieces. Also, after the confetti has been out of it's foil packed for
    3 days (in the litter, presumably), you must start with new clean litter
    and new confetti (very expensive).

I'm not too fond of that stuff...prefer home BG testing with a meter.

The confetti only tells you if glucose it being spilled into the urine.
    Doesn't tell you when that occurred, nor how LOW the BG went reactive
    to the insulin.

Only blood testing can tell you that.

31. Mystery

Mystery Member

I'm going to have to try the ear warming thing. I read about it over the weekend, but didn't try it. The first and second tests were so easy that I'd forgotten about the warming. But then the third one (which was the second one last night) didn't work so well. With the first poke, there was no blood so I did a second one. Then all of the sudden both of the pokes had a drop. This morning was even worse - three pokes, and then after I got the sample I noticed the other two had drops too! I think all the activity warmed up the ears and then they started bleeding after a minute.

I'm just sure I'm absolutely torturing my little guy and yet he is being SO GOOD!

32. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You can use the rice sack warmed in the microwave or hot water in a pill bottle. It sounds silly, but the ear seems to learn to bleed. I guess those little capillaries fatten up when they are poked often.

33. Mystery

Mystery Member

OMG I decided to do one more test before leaving for the office and its 36!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

OUCH! That's too low....if you can, give a little bit of higher carb food.

35. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Do you have to leave right away???? Can you stay? Try some gravy off of some higher carb food? It has only been about 2 hours right? Are you using human meter? I thought you were not.

36. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Warming his ear will definitely help - it draws the blood to the capillaries. Rice sock - just grab an old sock, polyester ones seem to work well, put about a 1/4 cup of regular rice (not quick rice) in it, tie it near the toe. Leave enough slack in it to 'pillow' it. Pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds or so and Viola! Warm sock! I tend to cook mine about every few weeks. A baby sock is better as there's not as much material but mine is a 'halloween' sock I got for 10 cents on clearance last year. I have christmas ones too...he's a 'Holiday' kitty.

You're getting the hang of all this! Good work MamaBean!

37. DEF

DEF Member

SUBSTRACT 30 ******** Sorry to shout but YOU ARE USING AN ALPHA TRAK METER.

That is a 6 ==== SIX! (give or take a certain percentage that all meters can be off).

Hope some experienced people come on board to help you.

38. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I am wondering about your meter. It sounds like it really tests low. Can you get another test in right away?

39. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Note to All: She got a 30 2 hours after the shot last night also on the AlphaTrack. He showed no hypo symptoms and was fine overnight.

Suspicious about another 30 this morning. Am wondering about the accuracy of this meter.

40. CatherineandIssey

CatherineandIssey Member

Hi - the Alphatrak meter should have come with two tiny bottles of control solution. These have a fixed amount of glucose in and are used to check whether your meter is working correctly.
    Good luck.
    I have an Alphatrak meter here in the UK and reading this thread is the first time I have heard anything about the BG figures (and we, of course, multiply our BG figures by 18 to get the same readings as you :roll: Is there a sticky on this somewhere?

41. squeem3

Are you using the special ProZinc insulin syringes or some other brand that the vet gave you?

The line marked as 1 on the ProZinc insulin syringe is 1 unit.

On other brands of insulin syringes, 1 unit is the little line closest to the needle. There is a line marked as 10 but that is 10 (ten) units, not 1.0 as some newbies mistakenly think.

Can you run a control test on the AlphaTrack just to make sure it works or not? I suggest buying a Human blood glucose meter to use if the AlphaTrack really isn't work right or just to keep as a back up in case.

42. DEF

DEF Member

Here is one of the Rand articles where all the dosing recommendations orginate from.

http://www.uq.edu.au/ccah/docs/diabetesinfo/link4.pdf

It expressly says that the Alpha Trak meter reading is 'off' by 30 points and you CAN NOT compare the numbers to a human meter.

You either SUBSTRACT 30 points from your AT meter reading or

ADD 30 points to BG levels on any dosing chart that is set up for human meters.

The Rand article gives an Alpha Trak meter chart (see 3b table) (in addition to human meter table)
    but they don't consistently add the 30 points to all the numbers which makes no sense.

I am emailing Queensland Vet school to ask if the chart has errors as you would have to add the 30 points to all the BG figures IMO.

But Rand does give the example that if you have say a recommendation based on BG of 50 to 100 you need to change that to 80 to 130 etc etc with the ALpha Trak.

I wish there was a sticky. Maybe there is???

ELaine

43. Either the meter is defective, the strips are, or the test was somehow flawed. If tou get a 30 on an alphatrak, kitty would most likely be having seizures or unconscious (if you subtract 30, he'd be in single digits?).
    Lisa,
    Do you have $30 spare dollars and a walmart close by? You can get a relion micro meter and 50 test strips for that. You need to have confidence in your meter...
    Carl

44. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I don't think there is, Elaine. And I think it would be a helpful sticky. Why don't you ask the moderator if it can be added? There are certainly some that are out of date and can go away. (I know there is a concern about having too many stickies.)

I am not sure who the moderator for Health is - maybe Venita or Patti and Merlin?

45. Mystery

Mystery Member

I'm going to do another test around 10:30. That will be two hours since the last test. He really seemed just fine again this morning, though more than a little irritated at all of the ear pokes.

I spoke to the vet. She suggested that he may now be producing his own insulin, as some cats do this after they start getting shots, and said I should test every couple of hours today. I wish I could be at home with him, but I'll have to run back and forth from work to office. If by evening shot time, he's <200, she said I shouldn't give him a shot. If he's >200, then give 1/2 unit.

I should also mention about the food history. As I mentioned in the first post, Beauregard had a rather rough time of things the first couple of years I had him. I tried a thousand different kinds of food, hoping to find something that would work for him, and after two years I found one. It was dry food Science Diet for Sensitive Stomach, and that's all he's eaten for the past six or seven years. That garbage is over >35% carbs. That's one of the highest of any food I've seen on The List, and now I know that I was poisoning him all that time. *curse words* So, he's gone from >35% carb intake to ~5% with the canned, and a few nibbles of DM dry which is ~18% carbs. He doesn't like dry food too much though - I fill half of his bowl every other day so he's not eating much of that at all.

I appreciate the suggestions on the meters, but I simply cannot afford to buy another one until next payday, so I'm going to stick (punny!) with this one. I'm thinking its functioning properly. It's given the same indications for a post-shot test, and a reasonable reading before shot this morning. If the 10:30 test is really odd, I may ask the vet if I can bring him in for a test at their office.

46. squeem3

One of the members here puts together free testing kits for newbies. Here is the info: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19541

If your cat won't touch dry food, no point in leaving a bowl of it out :smile: You can give a low carb crunchy treat, such as Poultry Crispies. There are other treats you can use: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172 Some people do give their diabetics a piece or two of a low carb grain-free dry food. That might be an option if your cat won't go for treats. Innova EVO, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Wellness CORE are three brands.

47. Elaine,
    This is an important distinction, and so that everyone is on the same page, here's my question regarding AT meters vs. human ones:

Since the AT should be calibrated specifically for feline testing, would it be correct to say that the number you get when using the AT is in fact the "actual BG" for kitty?
    And that if using a human meter, you would need to "add" 30 to your number?

My vet used an AT, and she told me that with me using a Relion Micro, I should always consider that Bob's BG was actually higher by 30 points than the number I was getting. So when I got a 70, in my head I said "OK, well that's a 100" and based my treatment on the higher number.

So in this specific case, Beauregard is really at 36, and if she were using say a Micro, it would have read "6", or most likely she would have just gotten "LO" on the screen.

Agree we need a sticky to sort this all out.

Carl

48. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It is certainly true that food can make a huge difference. We were feeding Science Diet to Oliver for years - I am convinced it gave him diabetes. When we switched over to all wet lo carb, his numbers went down 100 points overnight. I like your vet's advice re dosage.

I am still concerned about your meter. If you can't be sure the numbers are right, it makes it very difficult for you to react. If he was really 30 on the AlphaTrack this morning, he would most likely have some hypo symptoms. What meter does your vet use? Could you borrow one from them for a few days?

49. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Gee...I thought it was just the opposite.

Using an Alpha Trak meter...the number you get is the REAL number.

Using a human BG meter...subtract 30 (US) to get the REAL number.

50. Karen,
    I did a "search" for Alpha Track - and all 3 pages of threads feature one of two things:

Alpha Track's are outrageously expensive and aren't needed as long as you realize the human meter numbers will always be different

Alpha Tracks will always read higher than a human meter (20 to 30 points seems to be the consensus)

But I couldn't find a thread that just compares the two and gives guidelines for use. Maybe on the old board?

Carl

51. Mystery

Mystery Member

The 10:30 test was an 86!!!!

I also did a test with control solution before doing the test on Beauregard, and it was smack-dab in the middle of the 'range' the control solution should report. So, I'm fairly confident that the meter is functioning properly.

I stopped at the vet's office on the way back to work and mentioned to her the +/- issue. She explained it to me as the AT meter is really, truly accurate for the kitteh. She said her understanding of the meters for humans are +/-, as a precaution for someone who might be home alone and have to either give themselves another shot or have a candy bar. Of course she said that her understanding is somewhat limited since all her experience is with animals, and some of her patients who use the human meters for the kittehs.

She also indicated that the machine in her office would give a more accurate reading than the AT, and of course a lab would be even more accurate, but then you get into the issue of stress-caused spiking of the BG, so it's kind of a trade off re doing it at home.

At any rate, Beauregard was doing marvelously when I saw him at 10:30. He was napping when I got home, but woke up and started nibbling on the dry food as he usually does. Then he was super still for the poke test, and I did it with ONE POKE!! Yaaay!!!! :RAHCAT

Oh yeah - I'll be testing every morning and evening, and if the test is <200, no shot; 200-250 gets 1/2 unit, over 250 will get 1 unit. So that's the plan for the next few days.

52. Good report!
    If you wanted a test from the vet, a fructosamine (spelling probably wrong!) test will give an average BG reading over a two week period. With that test "vet stress" isn't a factor. A one-time test at the vet will most likely be inflated by stress.

Oh, do you know how to see "PMs" that you are sent? If you look at the top left of the page, you should see a link to your control panel, and next to that "1 new message" (or more) should be there. I just sent one to you, and possibly others have too.

Carl

53. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Great news all round. Glad he is coming up and it's wonderful that you are getting better at the blood tests.

If you can wean him completely off any dry, it may be that he will not be needing much insulin or any at all. :thumbup

54. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Soo nice to hear/see....been watching this post all day long nailbite_smile .
    Gooood going Beauregard & mommy bean

55. DEF

DEF Member

In my mind the numbers on either meter (alpha trak or human) are 'correct' neither is wrong or right. As the vet says the AT is very accurate but that is not really the problem here. The accuracy is not the issue AT ALL.

You must use the proper DOSING CHART for the meter you are using--this is where all the confusion comes into it. And it is very important to reconfigure BG numbers targets for your meter

On this site everyone tends to think in terms of the table of recommendations for the human meters.

I would get a human meter to avoid confusion. They are so much more cheaper.

For the those that keep coming on board and who already have an alpha trak the above information has to be given over and over to avert a possible hypo.

I am no expert on these meters but once I read that you have to configure the numbers I always worry about those who do not do this or acknowledge in their posts or threads they know to do it.

What is obvious is that substracting 30 doesn't appear to work all that well either. IE as you get a 36 and substract 30 and you get a worrisome 6 but your vet says not to worry he must be going by different BG number targets. What did he say your target numbers would be with the AT and with what lows should you be concerned?

Anyway , glad it all worked out. Hope you continue to see great numbers.

Elaine

56. Mystery

Mystery Member

Weaning from the dry food is definitely the goal!

I'm going to have to try some different methods with the canned food feedings, I guess. Right now, he's getting 1/2 can in the morning and 1/2 can in the evening (Purina DM cans, about 190 calories total per can). He nibbles on both breakfast and dinner over the course of two or three hours, so I have to find something other than dry for him to nibble on between meals. I'm hesitant to change anything else in his diet until we get consistently good BG readings, and one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that the kittehs need to have access to food most of the day if possible. At the same time, removing the carbs in the dry food from his diet could help lessen the insulin requirements. It a circular argument in my head that I can't get to stop! Should I remove carbs now, and add something else for snacks? What could I feed as snacks if I'm at work all day?

And are there any good resources on how many calories a kitteh should have in one day? How many protein cals, fat cals, carb cals??

57. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Lots of us freeze the wet and let them nibble on it. I use an automatic feeder which I fill with frozen food. By the time it opens, it's thawed. Just divide what you are normally feeding into smaller, more frequent meals.

58. Mystery

Mystery Member

Thank you. It really is great to see anything above the 30s!!

I'm not adjusting or reconfiguring anything, and I'm not clear on what targets you're talking about that needs to be reconfigured? The vet didn't tell me not to worry; she told me to test more, and gave me instructions for whatever the results of the tests will be. She knows I am using the AT meter, so I'm assuming (hoping? maybe I should remind her!) she is taking that into consideration.

59. Lisa,
    Eventually you would get to a point, using the alpha track, where you need to making dosing adjustment decisions based on the numbers you are getting. If that day comes, you should make it obvious, maybe by adding a line to your sig, that you use the AlphaTrack so that people know your numbers are from that type of meter.

When you say "150" for instance, people who use human meters will think "okay, that's 120 to me", and advise based on that.

It's really two separate issues..... ONE, your meter will read higher than "our" meters by about 30 points consistently, so dosing advice would need to take that into account.

And TWO, when something like this morning's low numbers occur, you have (and we have) to be aware that a reading on an AlphaTrack and a reading on a Relion (for instance) are definitely two different things when it comes to "hypo" numbers. Your 31 or 36, (given that your meter reads 30 points higher than mine usually) sounds impossible because on my meter, kitty would be 1 or 6, or some insanely low "kitty-shouldn't-still-be-conscious" number. Obviously, BooBoo wasn't in that bad a shape.

Carl

60. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Hmmmm...so one should ADD points to a human BG meter ???

I would still think you would NOT SUBTRACT points from an Alpha Trak meter, since
    those are supposed to be calibrated for cats' blood.

61. It depends on what you are using the number for, from what I gathered reading. Apparently, all the dosing protocols on board are based on the numbers you would get on a human meter. Lots of those threads were in the lantus forum, and the point seemed to be that you needed to equate the readings to human meters so that the dosing guidelines were correct. So it was important for anyone using an AlphaTrack to let people know that in an obvious way, like putting it in their sig.

Carl

62. DEF

DEF Member

Hi Karen,

You don't need to add points to the human meter because you are using a dosing protocol based on human meter readings.

Unless the chart says it is configured for an Alpha Trak you are fine using the meter numbers as they read out.

The cats blood is what it is no matter what meter you are using as long as you use the same one consistently and it is a good meter you are fine.

But what do you do with those numbers? You look at a dosing chart. You make all your decisions based on BG readings and what the protocol says to do.

The guideslines or recommendations you use must be based on the type of meter you are using. (human vs feline ALpha TRAK)

This link has an Alpha Trak Table. (2nd one in the paper not the first) The paper is by J Rand.

http://www.uq.edu.au/ccah/docs/diabetesinfo/link4.pdf

They don't change all the figures by 30 but they do change the lower range ones.

On the FIRST chart or table for the human meter it says
    But the question , as Carl points out too, what is too low on the Alpha Trak. When do you need to be very concerned and treat as hypo situation? ? I would find out what a vet says that uses an AT so you can be prepared.

63. Mystery

Mystery Member

Thanks the 'splaining, Elaine and Carl. I wasn't aware that there were tables available. I'm just taking what the vet told me about the readings, and she indicated that 100-140ish was ideal for insulin and tester I'm using. She was concerned about the 30s readings, but not overly so since he didn't have any unusual behaviors, and seemed confident that we just needed to decrease the dosage depending on his pre-shot test results.

The evening test was 284, so he got 1 unit. I'm to call her tomorrow if it's over 300 before the morning shot.

64. OK, so all in all, an exciting day that ended well! It sounds like you and your vet have a good working relationship, and what you just posted seems like a good plan. And I think that everybody now is more aware of the differences between meters and why they are important to know.
    So yeah, a good day for Beauregard!

Keep us posted, and have a great and peaceful night!
    Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.